Renault

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau...e/3196859/

Renault is planning an all-new Formula 1 engine for 2019 in its bid to close the gap on Mercedes and Ferrari.

Although there had been suggestions that the French car manufacturer would be using its latest Spec-C version as the basis of its 2019 power unit, it has now revealed that a total overhaul is being worked on at its Viry-Chatillon base.

Renault F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul said that the decision to go for an all-new engine was taken because gains were being limited by the current architecture - something that had come to light with its Spec-C.
“It is a new engine,” Abiteboul told Motorsport.com about the 2019 plans. “One of the reasons for it, and why the Spec-C is not delivering more in terms of performance, is because we are not held back by the structural limitations of the [current] engine.”

Abiteboul said that Renault was pushing hard to make a step forward with its power unit in 2019, but was mindful about balancing the quest for more speed against hurting reliability.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Its good hear. F1 desperately needs for Renault and Honda to be a match for the other two. The only issue is the aggressive aero regs, the amount of drag and efficiency can have a real distortion on power output and track numbers. Renault need it all to come together next season. Could their fight for 4th compromise the development of 2019 car? New aero regs mean much more additional CFD calibrations to the already very complex aero regs. The sport cannot afford for them to drop back further, the Renault name is great for F1.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau...s/3214112/

Thierry Koskas will replace Jerome Stoll as president of Renault’s sporting arm next year as the French manufacturer’s bid to improve its Formula 1 project continues.

Koskas will take over the Renault Sport Racing presidency, reporting to Renault’s group chairman and chief executive officer Carlos Ghosn, on January 1, 2019.

A short Renault statement said Koskas would aim to “bring the team to the highest level of the discipline” and “ensure that Formula 1's contribution to Renault's brand awareness worldwide is strengthened”.
Koskas was named Renault’s executive vice-president of sales and marketing at the start of 2016 and became a member of the manufacturer’s executive committee in the process.

He has worked for Renault since 1997.
Stoll, a Renault employee since 1980 who became president of Renault Sport Racing since early 2016, will turn 65 next year.
Renault is poised to clinch fourth in the F1 constructors’ championship this season, marking its best result since returning to the grid as a works team in 2016.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau...s/3215031/

Fingers crossed Fog. Wink

Renault's chassis technical director Nick Chester says the French manufacturer is making "strong progress" with its 2019 Formula 1 challenger.

Next season will be Renault's fourth since returning to the F1 grid as a works team and it has signed Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull as it bids to make the next step in its progress up the order.
Renault is poised to clinch fourth in the constructors' championship in Abu Dhabi next weekend but has made clear it would be "ludicrous" to suggest it can bridge the significant gap to Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull next year.
Chester said: "There's a lot going on with the 2019 car and we're well advanced in making the first chassis.

"We've got the gearbox, which will be tested soon. We're finishing design work for parts such as the cooling, suspension and the bodywork.

"It's flat out at this time of the year as we have to get through a lot of drawings to get the car made. It's been busy and we're making strong progress."

Renault holds a 24-point lead over Haas in the fight for fourth, having overcome a dip in performance in the second half of the year to all but see off the American team's challenge.

Chester is hopeful the team can end the year in emphatic fashion as well as preserving a strong reliability record on the chassis side.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(16-11-2018, 04:34 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Renault's chassis technical director Nick Chester says the French manufacturer is making "strong progress" with its 2019 Formula 1 challenger.

Four way battle at the fron in 2019 then?  Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(16-11-2018, 05:03 PM)morini Wrote:  
(16-11-2018, 04:34 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Renault's chassis technical director Nick Chester says the French manufacturer is making "strong progress" with its 2019 Formula 1 challenger.

Four way battle at the fron in 2019 then?  Smile

I'd love that, but not to be a Debbie Downer - realism, this line

"but has made clear it would be "ludicrous" to suggest it can bridge the significant gap to Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull next year."

But still positive vibes Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(16-11-2018, 10:12 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  But still positive vibes Smile

The very best type buddy.   Wink

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I think Renault have had a decent year. I guess the biggest issue I would throw at them is the disparity of results between the factory team and Red Bull. I understand Red Bull have a much better car but that surely cannot explain the whole difference (Maybe it does I have no idea)

They took way too much flak in my view from Red Bull, clearly they like Honda are still looking to close the gap to the Ferrari and Mercedes cars or works teams anyway but lest not forget they also have 4 wins this season (should have been 5 last week!!!) so bitch as much as you like Red Bull the engine cannot be that much of a disaster.

Danny Ricciardo is my second favourite driver so I will be rooting for him big time next season but I think Renault will do well to be the 4th team again, can they get on podium? I have my doubts but it would be nice to see!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau...y/4319231/

Renault F1 engine gains "much bigger" than ever before.

Renault says the gains it is seeing from its 2019 Formula 1 car and engine are the biggest it has ever made over a winter.

After a season where the French car manufacturer ended up fourth in the constructors' championship, it knows it needs to make a good step forward if it is to start mixing it with F1's big three of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

Renault's F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul sees no evidence, however, that the team's progress is slowing down - and if anything he is more bullish than ever about the potential improvements that are being shown from its factory efforts.

"If I look, what I see is an acceleration everywhere,"

"The gains that we will be making on the engine are much bigger than we have ever done in a winter – much bigger – and the gains that we are currently doing in the wind tunnel are much bigger than we have ever done.

"But, we have to be careful on the wind tunnel side, the aero side, as there is a big change of regulation. You all know that when it happens there is a big reset: you lose [downforce] and you quickly catch up.

"So it is difficult to make a distinction between what is coming from the regulations and what is coming from the effect of the restructure.
"But if I look at our capacity to engineer, to develop, design and manufacture, it is an acceleration everywhere."

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(04-01-2019, 02:23 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Renault says the gains it is seeing from its 2019 Formula 1 car and engine are the biggest it has ever made over a winter.

Hoping Cyril is right and not just running his mouth

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post