James Key to McLaren

This is a really interesting move:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/44961301

James Key is considered quite a young talent in the technical side of the sport. Red Bull think highly of him, and Needy has had nothing but kind words for the bloke. So I just assumed he wasn't going to be available because he'd be on the track to the senior team. Still, quite a good appointment.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yeah, James is a smart cookie, a nice catch for Mclaren amidst all the recent negativity surrounding them lately.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Aye, promising signing from McLaren. Toro Rosso under Key guidance has always been solid all round car, when faltered it has been quickly remedied. Bit crazy he is considered young. How they tie up his role with Peter Prodromou will be critical.

Edit: However just like the Ferrari engine technical purge of recent times, I ask why would RedBull let him go? What gem have RedBull found to take his role.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Somewhat surprised, even shocked McLaren were able to sign him thought he was a fixture in the Red Bull stable. That has to be a good signing McLaren need to build for 2021.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(26-07-2018, 11:00 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Somewhat surprised, even shocked McLaren were able to sign him thought he was a fixture in the Red Bull stable. That has to be a good signing McLaren need to build for 2021.

That's what I thought too NeilP. However, it's a good solid appointment. Let's see how well McLaren progress. They need to start turning things around soon.

Hesh, at 46 for a senior engineer in F1 yeah, he's young.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Maybe what RedBull have found is a certain driver called Lando Norris.......

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Hesh... somebody else suggested that on Motorsport as well. If it is true the Red Bull have the better deal. Norris is that good.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I think Russell is just as good maybe even better
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

(26-07-2018, 10:20 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  I think Russell is just as good maybe even better

Close no doubt, Lando has the reputation (the next big thing) but George seems a class act also.       Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Amus:

Toro Rosso and Red Bull were surprised and annoyed by the Personality Key. Motorsport Director Helmut Marko clarifies the situation: "We have a multi-year contract with James Key. Zak Brown has asked us if we would release him from this contract earlier. We were still negotiating when we suddenly read in the press that McLaren has signed James Key. "

McLaren's premature announcement could cost the team dearly. "Mr. Key will have to wait a long time before he can work for McLaren," Marko announced as a consequence. It is assumed that the contract with Key extended at the beginning of 2017 will run at least until the end of 2019. Alonso's wish for a quick start to work for the 46-year-old Englishman at McLaren will not be fulfilled. "The sooner he arrives, the more influence he has on the next year's car."

Red Bull has had bad experiences with McLaren before. "It was the same with Lando Norris. We negotiate with McLaren behind closed doors and suddenly find out from the newspaper that they do not want to give it away. "Anyone familiar with Formula One could now imagine the following scenario. McLaren only gets Key prematurely when they hand Norris over to Toro Rosso.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post