To cheat, or not to cheat?

(26-07-2018, 09:40 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Forza, I thought the Nico explanation had already been trashed by technical experts because it isn't free energy before the MGU-H. That 

No idea bud, I was just faffing about online last night and came across the clip

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Whatever it is Ferrari are doing the traces suggest it has been worth nearly 200 bhp in boost. Given prior to that they were thought to be about 50 Bhp down on Mercedes the gain gives them the sort of engine advantage Mercedes enjoyed in 2015.

200bhp??? I havent read or heard anything like those sort of figures at all, think the last figures mentioned anywhere was circa 30-35bhp improvement.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Does Brundle not go on and on and on about the Battery system being worth 160 BHP "Which is enough to make a Family saloon go along very well" I mean my tech knowledge as I keep saying is poor but I am certain it is not worth 200 BHP if it was that Ferrari would probably lap the field in most races!

Forza what I'm hearing is that Ferrari's engine upgrade ISN'T a consistent advantage but is more a boost. Teams think it is behind their lightening quick starts off of the line. I heard that the traces from Hockenheim suggest at points on the straights that Ferrari had as much a 112bhp advantage. But again not sustained. This is what led me, and far more informed people to suggest it is something to do with charging and deployment under and after acceleration. Thing is it's all just guess work from us. Over a lap, a staging it out it might be as little as 20bhp, but we don't know. As I said the pointers suggest it is 'peaky' performance not consistent.

NeilP that's not how it works. These engines already pump out around 1000bhp average, with Ferrari and Mercedes thought to be above that figure, and Renault and Honda below. Adding 200bhp to a 200bhp car is noticeable, but when you do so to a beast that already pumps out 1000bhp and is already forcing a car through the air at ridiculous speeds you need an ever increasing output in terms of bhp to get a noticeable gain. It's why both Audi and Porsche in WEC moved to acceleration, traction and driveability when they started hitting similar figures. The gains for top end speed at these levels needs to be massive and is often super hard to achieve... Ferrari seemingly have found a way to get a short term boost during key points during the lap.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Cant believe I'm reading this tosh. 200bhp is massive, even as a short term boost that is 20 percent of total output. I think that is total hype, it'll be a benefit in the 10s of bhp at best.

So if I am right its the MGU-K that supplies electrical energy to the car (Kinetic in this case) via means of battery storage. I am at a loss to comprehend how something that had a capacity of 120 KW (160 BHP) now can deliver 360 BHP (268 KW) that is the 160 BHP that everyone gets plus 200 BHP that Ferrari are alleged to have gained!

That is huge leap if nothing else for storage power alone and I cannot believe such a huge power increase can be achieved using the same battery technology. Plus I thought there was a restriction on how much power could be transfered from the MGU-K to the engine at 4MJ per lap.

What am I missing here?

I'm glad that write up confirms the speed differential and bhp boost is peaky and not consistent. That confirms what I saw, and also what others have seen. Seems Renault are convinced it's something illegal though. Hearing they main raise a complaint during the summer break.

(26-07-2018, 11:52 AM)NeilP Wrote:  So if I am right its the MGU-K that supplies electrical energy to the car (Kinetic in this case) via means of battery storage. I am at a loss to comprehend how something that had a capacity of 120 KW (160 BHP) now can deliver 360 BHP  (268 KW) that is the 160 BHP that everyone gets plus 200 BHP that Ferrari are alleged to have gained!

That is huge leap if nothing else for storage power alone and I cannot believe such a huge power increase can be achieved using the same battery technology. Plus I thought there was a restriction on how much power could be transfered from the MGU-K to the engine at 4MJ per lap.

What am I missing here?

Not entirely true as I understood the regulations, and as Andrew Benson tweeted his understanding after Silverstone I think it was after talking to various engineers in the pitlane, said essentially the difference was that there is a limit to how much can be drawn, but that it isn't over a "lap" it's actually an amount of draw at anyone specific moment that can't be exceeded. The batteries have a limit in how much they can store at anyone moment too. So if you could constantly charge and deploy and not breach those limits it would be legal.

Forza why did you delete your post, it was really informative?

(26-07-2018, 12:00 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  

Forza why did you delete your post, it was really informative?

I deleted the post as I noticed Hesh has also posted the same article at the same time, his is on the Ferrari thread.

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I get that Forza, but it's useful here in this discussion too.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post