To cheat, or not to cheat?

(23-10-2018, 10:10 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  the banter that’s why I am here to talk F1 and have a bit of banter. 

Now if Lewis has a DNF get your body armour on ladies Smile

a bit long winded bud, see my above post to Neil, LOL

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(23-10-2018, 10:18 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(23-10-2018, 10:10 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  the banter that’s why I am here to talk F1 and have a bit of banter. 

Now if Lewis has a DNF get your body armour on ladies Smile

a bit long winded bud, see my above post to Neil, LOL

Haha I would say that covers it nicely
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

Stewards can only rule on official published FIA technical clarifications. As I understand it the FIA clarification wasn't published before Austin, nor do I think it will be before Mexico, could be wrong. In those instances the FIA advise teams the clarifications aren't published and teams can seek clarification from race stewards as to legality. So Mercedes decided not to have a situation where the WDC was decided months later in the court of arbitration.

As to Ferrari's wing mirrors they were illegal from the get go, Ferrari sought no FIA ruling on them before implementing the design, unlike Mercedes and their wheels. Ferrari were allowed to run their illegal wing mirrors for a number of races, and teams agreed not to complain to the race stewards as a gentleman's agreement. Very different situations.

The Mercedes wheel rims is more akin in many respects to the RBR front steering angle lock adjusting front wing angle on turn in. The FIA ruled it fully legal, and it was, Mercedes copied it, and Ferrari complained again. Not to get it banned, but to point out that although it might have been technically legal, it was a breach of the spirit or the intention of the rules, and to write new technical regulations to remove such devices. We may very well be in a similar situation here. They're fully legal, even the CFD investigation found they weren't primarily an aerodynamic device, but we might see rules clarifications and amendments for next season which rule them out.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(24-10-2018, 11:23 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:   They're fully legal, even the CFD investigation found they weren't primarily an aerodynamic device, but we might see rules clarifications and amendments for next season which rule them out.

Ok so my question is and it’s because to me it’s clear as mud! If fully legal why would FIA or whoever, potentially change rules
Clarifications and amendments in order to rule them out?? Why not legalise for 2019, that just sounds arse about face don’t you think?

Just wrote a long response to you that has disappeared LL. I'll see if I can be arsed to write it again. Long story short for Ferrari's concept they're a dead end. For Mercedes, RBR but especially Renault it isn't. As such Ferrari will seek to get them regulated out of the sport to cut down a development avenues that's of no benefit to them.

(24-10-2018, 01:49 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Just wrote a long response to you that has disappeared LL. I'll see if I can be arsed to write it again. Long story short for Ferrari's concept they're a dead end. For Mercedes, RBR but especially Renault it isn't. As such Ferrari will seek to get them regulated out of the sport to cut down a development avenues that's of no benefit to them.

Ah ok that makes sense what your saying , but cheeky!!! Would FIA do that, just to accommodate that one team over the many?

LL they shafted both RBR and Mercedes, but also Renault and McLaren to essentially accommodate Ferrari over steering lock ride height adjustment in 2017. All four teams had developed successful implementations of the concept (to varying degrees) in 2016, and if you hear the way Horner and Abitobul tell it the ruling came so late it utterly fucked the development of their 2017 cars. You can see the departures both teams made from their 2017 car concepts to their current concepts as proof. It also has clearly affected Mercedes quite badly, but they've got the brains and raw grunt to get round the issue that maybe the Renault powered teams didn't. I happen to see that issue from both sides, it was OK'ed by the FIA, teams put money and resources into it and planned accordingly, then the FIA pulled the rug from underneath them. Yet I also see it from Ferrari's point of view, although I think their arguments were more mischievous, the steering lock height change was predominantly about changing the angle of the front wing to provide more downforce on turn in, it was. However, I think the reason Ferrari complained is because they couldn't get it to work and thus was an area they had a deficit in, so just try and shut it down, it's cheaper that way.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Mercedes cleared to run controversial wheel design

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...n/3202292/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

So the FIA did manage to push through their report and clarifications. I can understand the questions around them, but their primary function isn't aerodynamic. It's good it has been cleared up, and I wonder whether we'll see them or wheels like them on the Renault and Red Bull before the season is out.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-10-2018, 09:49 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Mercedes cleared to run controversial wheel design

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...n/3202292/

As they were over a week ago. Massive fuss over nothing.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post