Mercedes

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...e/3158925/

Esteban Ocon believes a Mercedes Formula 1 drive is "just a matter of time" and says his future lies with the German manufacturer regardless of his 2019 team.

The Mercedes junior is halfway through his second year racing with its engine customer Force India, and was in the running for a drive with the works team for next season.

Mercedes has opted to retain Valtteri Bottas for one more year, with an option to extend that deal to 2020.
Ocon had been linked with a move to Renault in 2019, on loan from Mercedes, but Daniel Ricciardo's shock decision to leave Red Bull has closed that door.

Speaking to Motorsport.com in Hungary before Ricciardo's U-turn, Ocon said: "The bosses [at Mercedes] have plans for me that are 'not yet'.
"It's not the plan for now. I think they want me to have more experience before I jump in that car. I knew that already. I have targets I have to respect.
"At the moment they are happy with the job I'm doing. It's just a matter of time, I think."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-h...01/?nrt=54

Lewis Hamilton suggested Mercedes had done a "slightly better job" at getting the most from its Formula 1 car than Ferrari has in 2018 after winning the Hungarian Grand Prix.

That he leads the drivers' championship from Sebastian Vettel by 24 points and Mercedes heads the constructors' championship and Mercedes heads Ferrari by 10 points in the constructors' championship supports this argument – but is it really the case?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(16-08-2018, 12:52 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...e/3158925/

Esteban Ocon believes a Mercedes Formula 1 drive is "just a matter of time" and says his future lies with the German manufacturer regardless of his 2019 team.

The Mercedes junior is halfway through his second year racing with its engine customer Force India, and was in the running for a drive with the works team for next season.

Mercedes has opted to retain Valtteri Bottas for one more year, with an option to extend that deal to 2020.
Ocon had been linked with a move to Renault in 2019, on loan from Mercedes, but Daniel Ricciardo's shock decision to leave Red Bull has closed that door.

Speaking to Motorsport.com in Hungary before Ricciardo's U-turn, Ocon said: "The bosses [at Mercedes] have plans for me that are 'not yet'.
"It's not the plan for now. I think they want me to have more experience before I jump in that car. I knew that already. I have targets I have to respect.
"At the moment they are happy with the job I'm doing. It's just a matter of time, I think."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-h...01/?nrt=54

Lewis Hamilton suggested Mercedes had done a "slightly better job" at getting the most from its Formula 1 car than Ferrari has in 2018 after winning the Hungarian Grand Prix.

That he leads the drivers' championship from Sebastian Vettel by 24 points and Mercedes heads the constructors' championship and Mercedes heads Ferrari by 10 points in the constructors' championship supports this argument – but is it really the case?

I know Lewis cannot say probably but the fact Vettel has mode some silly mistakes has probably been more the reason Mercedes are in a better position, surely Ferrari results in 2018 suggest they have done the best job in getting the most from their car? At least they have been the best at closing the gap to Mercedes and even surpass them in areas?
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

(16-08-2018, 01:29 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  I know Lewis cannot say probably but the fact Vettel has mode some silly mistakes has probably been more the reason Mercedes are in a better position, surely Ferrari results in 2018 suggest they have done the best job in getting the most from their car? At least they have been the best at closing the gap to Mercedes and even surpass them in areas?

Strange viewpoint. The Ferrari has clearly been the better overall package this year (arguably last year too at a lot of tracks). It certaily looks more stable and a lot easier to drive, to my untrained eye. Ferrair are not as polished race day management wise, so I think it's fair to say Mercedes have got more out of what they have available. Mercedes have't been perfect either in all truth, but generally they are "in the ballpark" on a Sunday. Ferrari more prone to race day mistakes in my opinion. Vettel too, but that's a different discussion.

Hoping it stays close and exciting until the end, but even with a car advantage I can see Ferrari coming out second best.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 1 user Likes The Professor's post

(17-08-2018, 12:40 PM)The Professor Wrote:  
(16-08-2018, 01:29 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  I know Lewis cannot say probably but the fact Vettel has mode some silly mistakes has probably been more the reason Mercedes are in a better position, surely Ferrari results in 2018 suggest they have done the best job in getting the most from their car? At least they have been the best at closing the gap to Mercedes and even surpass them in areas?

Strange viewpoint. The Ferrari has clearly been the better overall package this year (arguably last year too at a lot of tracks). It certaily looks more stable and a lot easier to drive, to my untrained eye. Ferrair are not as polished race day management wise, so I think it's fair to say Mercedes have got more out of what they have available. Mercedes have't been perfect either in all truth, but generally they are "in the ballpark" on a Sunday. Ferrari more prone to race day mistakes in my opinion. Vettel too, but that's a different discussion.

Hoping it stays close and exciting until the end, but even with a car advantage I can see Ferrari coming out second best.

When you present it like that I would have to agree actually.

(17-08-2018, 01:31 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(17-08-2018, 12:40 PM)The Professor Wrote:  

When you present it like that I would have to agree actually.

Although I would think if Vettel had Raikkonens consistency of late but with better pace then Ferrari would be ahead, I still maintain Vettel is a big factor in the "better job" Ferrari have given him a race winning car on most occasions he just "fooks" it up too much for my liking,
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

The flexi rear wing that has some people talking.

https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status/...2216473605

While that does have more fluid lateral movement than others in the comparison, I imagine not much will come about. Maybe the FIA will stipulate a more rigid rear wing and add some new load tests. Will MERC suffer from stiffening it, perhaps, in the fast corners where they seem to have that edge at the moment. We'll have to wait and see I guess. be interesting to see what the reputable analysts think.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(26-08-2018, 08:13 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  The flexi rear wing that has some people talking.

https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status/...2216473605

While that does have more fluid lateral movement than others in the comparison, I imagine not much will come about. Maybe the FIA will stipulate a more rigid rear wing and add some new load tests. Will MERC suffer from stiffening it, perhaps, in the fast corners where they seem to have that edge at the moment. We'll have to wait and see I guess. be interesting to see what the reputable analysts think.

Deflection tactics (pun intended) by Ferrari. So the attention is on Mercedes rather than themselves? I know this post will sound very cynical but Ferrari have made some massive progress and it must raise some eyebrows? No?

Myself, at face value, I'm very impressed by the engine performance gains Ferrari have found this year, but I am deeply, deeply suspicious of it too. If it is all above board then all power to them, their engineering teams deserve all the plaudits they get. I hope it is all legal, becuase it makes for a very exciting run in to 2018. At this point Ferrari have what looks like a *very* significant power advantage over all the other teams. Seems unlikely (or at least unusual) to gain such a huge advantage given we are at the end of the developent cyle for these current engines. 

Meredes definate underdogs now. But, on the flipside, that could be exactly what they need to motivate the team to secure another double.

<disclaimer>
I tried to make this post as unbiased and objective as possible. I don't like Ferrari, never have, but they have an absoluetly awesome car this year. You have to give them credit for that.
</disclaimer>
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

I think the case with this is, everyone can see it. We know the history of flexing wings and the legality of it all. As for Ferrari its all under the hood stuff, their power advantage is no where near what we have seen from Merc engines over the previous 4 years. FIA have checked what they can/wanted to on the Ferrari, and cleared it. FIA will probably have to check those rear wings.

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Is there any regs against lateral movement? I didnt think there was

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(26-08-2018, 08:39 PM)morini Wrote:  I'm very impressed by the engine performance gains Ferrari have found this year, but I am deeply, deeply suspicious of it too. If it is all above board then all power to them, their engineering teams deserve all the plaudits they get. I hope it is all legal.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/whiti...s/3165999/

Hi Morini, this is what Charlie says about Ferrari gains, 

FIA race director Charlie Whiting says he was "amused" by Lewis Hamilton's suggestion after the Belgian GP that Ferrari has "trick things" on its cars.

The world champion later clarified that he didn't mean to imply that the Italian team was doing anything illegal, but nevertheless his comments caused a stir.

Whiting says that Hamilton couldn't know what Ferrari is doing, while confirming that the FIA is up to speed.
"I'm quite amused by it really," he said. "Because we know quite a lot about the Ferrari car, and there is no way that Lewis would know anything about the Ferrari car.

"They're doing a good job at the moment, and Mercedes have got to try and counter that, haven't they,

"That particular comment doesn't actually say anything. If he says they've got a few tricks going on that car, clearly they have got some things on the car which are giving it performance, which we're all aware of – all us in the FIA are aware of – and obviously we are happy with."

Charlie says its legal so its legal, those sneeky Italians have found some thing no doubt....    Surprised 

Joke ^^^ just incase lol.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(26-08-2018, 09:11 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Is there any regs against lateral movement? I didnt think there was

Not that spring to mind. But just as Redbull caused the introduction of new load tests on front wings after they went overbaord with it, I think we'll see the same for that amount of wing movement. Using the Regulations "No moveable aero component"