Mercedes

(13-07-2018, 11:55 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Apologies Morini if I came off somewhat bluntly there. I can't bear it when people say something "should" have happened in sport.

No need to apologise to me. We are all entitled to an opinion. Perhaps I should have reworded my comment to "Mercedes had the pace to win the last two races", which they definitely did. They didn't win either, but it was *not* down to being off the pace. The reliability glitch at Austria (I feel) will probably balance itself over the season.

My other point I still stand by. Hamilton is not doing so bad being only 8 points down when he has had a no score compared to his main rival. It's not all doom and gloom for me at least.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Hamilton is not doing so bad being only 8 points down when he has had a no score compared to his main rival. It's not all doom and gloom for me at least.

I feel the same way Morini, he could be way way down on Vettel at this stage. However neither one of them has attained a substantial lead and I get the feeling it will be this way right through to the bitter end. My gut just tells me its Vettels year.

At the risk of repeating myself I just have everything crossed penalties do not dictate the final outcome. Perhaps unlike a lot of others I have really enjoyed the racing all the way through the field this year it has been so much closer than expected.
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

(15-07-2018, 02:52 PM)NeilP Wrote:  However neither one of them has attained a substantial lead and I get the feeling it will be this way right through to the bitter end. My gut just tells me its Vettels year.

Chill Neil.

It'll all be cool my friend. If Vettel gets a 5th this year he will well and truly deserve it (will sting for me as don't, and never will, actually rate Vettel amongst the greats). Even with a car disadvantage my money will be on Lewis as the all round better driver. Long season and there will be twists and turns along the way, anything could happen. I'm a LH supporter and want to see him set the benchmark(s) for the Max V and Charlie Le Clerc's of the next generation to go out and beat. But if Ferrari / Vettel do win this year then it will be a massive sporting achievement and I will applaud it.

Ferrari are F1 legends and will always get back to the top when they've been kicked in the balls for a few seasons. The mark of a top team, never give up. They aren't my favourite team by any stretch of the imagination, but I have the utmost respect for them and it would not be F1 without them.

I hope it goes to the wire in both championships.

<and please don't let there be a winner before Suzuka!> For obvious reasons :-)
[+] 5 users Like morini's post

Listening to the F1 Interview today with Mark Blundell on Sky has me wondering if Sainz is safe at Renault for next season. It seems the Stroll to Force India is gaining some traction (terrible pun I know but at least its not on Pirelli rubber.)

It makes sense in that FI obviously need the money, the Strolls cannot be happy with Williams and FI need Perez's money so that leaves Ocon on the outside. The French connection seems obvious enough and if Mercedes sign Bottas for another year or even two they may be forced to let Ocon go. That could mean goodbye Sainz and if that happens where does he go...Haas Maybe?

Its called the silly season for a reason!!!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Icon's Mercedes dowry is worth more than Perez by all accounts as it also includes his Mercedes Power Units. So actually if Ocon is going, it's his choice, not FI's. However, with rumours of a technical partnership with Mercedes, much like Sauber and Haas deals with Ferrari, and carrying the Daimler name, I'd be surprised to see the Mercedes driver leave. Fact is, Russel needs a drive somewhere.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-07-2018, 08:33 PM)morini Wrote:  
(15-07-2018, 02:52 PM)NeilP Wrote:  However neither one of them has attained a substantial lead and I get the feeling it will be this way right through to the bitter end. My gut just tells me its Vettels year.

<and please don't let there be a winner before Suzuka!> For obvious reasons :-)

Hope you have a great time at one of the best tracks F1 has to offer....there are a few problems with the place though....The entry gates are only 5' 2" high and there are no forks with the noodles...you can't eat with 2 sticks!

I'm only green with envy M8.....enjoy and I hope it is a Championship Decider for you.

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 5 users Like pennywise's post

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/1...g-new-deal

"Lewis Hamilton has described the length of his two-year contract extension with Mercedes as "strategic" and thanked team boss Toto Wolff for his patience as talks dragged out.
Hamilton has also revealed another leading team - either Red Bull or Ferrari - approached him as he dithered over signing a new deal with the world champions.
After months of negotiations stretching back to the start of the year, Hamilton's new deal was signed this week and announced on Thursday ahead of this weekend's German GP."

"According to Hamilton, it was that trust which then caused the talks to drag out - or, more accurately, to be on hold - with the driver assuring the team he was not interested in moving elsewhere and the team content to wait for their prized asset to re-commit.
But asked whether Red Bull or Ferrari made contact as Hamilton and Mercedes continued to check the small print on his new deal, the 33-year-old confirmed:
"One did but I didn't give it any air."
Hamilton declined to elaborate further or clarify whether the team in question was Red Bull or Ferrari."

So, he's thought about it, I think "any" driver would of course, still only two more years to wait Forza Tongue

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

"still only two more years to wait Forza"

Do you think we have been subtle enough telling Forza this will happen Papa? I am hoping you at least knows where he lives so we can go on suicide watch come the time!

As regards the Hamilton comment about another team contacting him I would be stunned if it was Red Bull it completely goes against everything they stand for. That by default leaves Ferrari and to be honest I have major doubts they would look at signing him right now. If fact as much as I enjoy winding up our resident Ferrari fans I dont ever see that happening either.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(19-07-2018, 05:35 PM)NeilP Wrote:  "still only two more years to wait Forza"

Do you think we have been subtle enough telling Forza this will happen Papa? I am hoping you at least knows where he lives so we can go on suicide watch come the time!

Hehe, think he will need a medicinal stiff drink or two to help him get over it lol, yes I also read on F1i that he had been made an offer, I know Forza & Purple wouldn't like it much but my personal dream move would be Lewis v Sebastian in the same car, if it happens to be a red car, all the better.  Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(19-07-2018, 05:19 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:   still only two more years to wait Forza Tongue

Ah, Im not too worried by that time he will have had enough of f1 and will (hopefully) bugger off and do some ©rap music or fashion stuff Wink

(19-07-2018, 05:35 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Do you think we have been subtle enough telling Forza this will happen Papa? I am hoping you at least knows where he lives so we can go on suicide watch come the time!

Im not one for pills or medication but admit I may need something if that time ever comes......on the positive side the local off licence profits will go through the roof Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post