Mercedes

(13-02-2019, 12:44 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  <snip>
not many teams have continued success over regulation changes in the sport, very few actually, so what Mercedes achieved between the 2016 to 2017 changes was outstanding, if they do it again from the 2018 to 2019 changes it'll be phenomenal.

Broadly agree with all of that, but if there's one team who have the resources and personnel to pull it off it is Mercedes. The changes aren't really that major and other teams were catching (caught and passed even) them up anyway due to years of regulation stability.

I'd argue a reg shakeup could actually work in their favour.The Red Bull glory run was (IMO) totally down to one man's genius. The Mercedes glory run has been because they are the strongest all round team. I'm not betting against them continuing the run of form.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...9/4336780/

Mercedes to run all-new F1 engine for 2019.

Mercedes has opted for an all-new engine in 2019, with the German car manufacturer believing an overhaul was necessary to help boost its challenge in Formula 1.

With the team launching its new W10 at Silverstone on Wednesday, it has confirmed that the car will be fitted with a heavily-overhauled power unit.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...s/4336842/

Mercedes says it has worked hard to ensure that its new W10 Formula 1 car is "much kinder" to its tyres that its predecessors.

Although the team made big progress last year in improving on the 'diva' characteristics of its tricky W08, the team was still not satisfied with how well the 2018 challenger was able to look after its tyres.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

On the engine front this was hinted at last year when Lewis was saying it'd be "great if they could wrap things up and bring next year's engine" to the last few races. I think he let the cat out of the bag.

Also Mercedes were not allowing anyone to take pictures of the rear of there car and we're apparently pretty strict about it and we're keen to keep it hidden. In previous seasons they've been quite open about things.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Valtteri Bottas says Mercedes needs an upgrade to completely solve the handling issues that dogged the first run of its new 2019 Formula 1 challenger at Barcelona in Spain this week...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce...e/4342487/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Will be fascinating to watch the developments hitting the cars. Question is when might said upgrades appear. Sure it's said all teams will be their race one packages, last year we saw Ferrari massive development drive at the start of the season. Mercedes all mainly landed at the start of the European leg. Will it be then that Bottas' stated upgrades are to appear...

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff insists the team will not enter a Haas-Ferrari style partnership with Racing Point.
Racing Point currently purchase engines and gearboxes, while the team will also begin using the Mercedes wind tunnel.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

I think this has already been posted somewhere on here, but I can't find it. Probably due to too much cheap red wine. Anyway, linking it here as intersting feature.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24100/...9-mercedes

James Allison is one of my favourite F1 tech people. This is worth a watch, I would say.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Formula 2 driver Nikita Mazepin will have his first official test for Mercedes’ Formula 1 team at the Circuit de Catalunya this week, RaceFans has learned.
The 20-year-old, who finished second in last year’s GP3 championship, has been conducting a private test programme with the world champions. He will drive for Mercedes on Wednesday of this week’s test. Valtteri Bottas will drive tomorrow.
Mazepin previously joined Force India, now Racing Point, as a development driver in 2016, and has tested their cars in the last three seasons.

Teams are required by the rules to give two days of testing to drivers who have competed in fewer than three F1 races. Mazepin fulfils this requirement, while the team’s reserve driver Esteban Ocon does not.
After the first six races of the 2019 F2 season Mazepin has scored four points and lies 16th in the championship, fifth among the rookie drivers.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Mazepin has had a really tough start to his F2 career, but plenty of people in the sport really rate the guy.

What an amazing and thoughtful gesture by Mercedes.

@MercedesAMGF1  brings⁦ a LewisHamilton car and yesterday’s winning trophy from the #SpanishGP to the home of Harry Shaw.

[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post