2018 German GP

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli has announced teams' compound selections for the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, with the three leading outfits opting for a more conservative approach.
The Hockenheim race will be the second in the season after the Chinese Grand Prix to feature a skipped step in its compound range.
The red-walled supersoft, which was the softest tyre available in the most recent edition of the race in 2016, will be absent, with the soft and the medium joined by the purple-coloured ultrasoft.
Championship leaders Mercedes and Ferrari have opted for seven sets of the ultrasoft for both of their entries, but have split picks of the harder compounds.
Title rivals Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel will receive an extra medium set, while Valtteri Bottas and Kimi Raikkonen will do with just one set of the hardest available compound – but will have five sets of the softs to their respective teammates' four.
RBR`s Max Verstappen will likewise enter the weekend with seven sets of the ultrasoft, but teammate Daniel Ricciardo will have eight available at the expense of an extra set of softs.
The Austrian squad is the only team on the grid to pick a different number of ultrasofts for its two cars, although all the other outfits - except for Toro Rosso and Mclaren- have opted for intra-team variance in the harder-tyre selections.
Renault's Nico Hulkenberg and Carlos Sainz will have the most ultrasofts available at 10, while Williams has likewise gone aggressive and selected nine sets for Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I for one really miss the old layout, boring.. maybe but a classic to me when I was in my Nigel Mansell fanship years...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7c6YnREP0

I guess Red Bull would not be very happy if we ever went back!!!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

So, I am asking all you super knowledgeable people on here is this going to be a two or three stop race? If my aged memory serves me correctly it is usually a three stopper.

I have this circuit down in my mind at least as one that favours the Ferrari team more than the Mercedes team. That said Mercedes have won the last two and Vettel has never won an F1 race here, in fact he has only ever won his home GP once when he was with Red Bull and that was at the Nurburgring. I am sure he will be as motivated to win here as much as Hamilton was at Silverstone and that could be the difference. I would also expect the Red Bulls to play a major part in this race, I dont think they will win but they will be up there for sure.

I see this is another race with a third DRS zone added...

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/900981/1/w...-german-gp
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

[Image: D5GeWO8.jpg]
[Image: PzlS2Fd.jpg]

[Image: Dhu55MdXkAERNMs.jpg]
[Image: Dh-lNINX4AErb-0.jpg]

Re-posting as "merging posts" seems to of deleted my originals. 

Its an interesting point Neil, as you say historically a multi stop race. This years honestly, no idea really. Only things I'll mention is this years Pirelli's have a lasting life, which may reduce to less stops. However, the number of Soft "option" tyre brought, by the top teams anyway, could indicate multiple stops again. I think the aggressive tyre selections may of been the wrong way to go. Track temp could be warm, but not hot. So I think we may see a two stop.

Best thing going into this weekend. There is no definitive form guide, its hard to predict, such a refreshing change after predictable stagnation of the last many years. Maybe more a Ferrari track due to their all rounder of a car, but has some corners and sections that favour all top 3 teams. The parabolica could be RedBulls only weakness, where they could loose, a couple of tenths. Still going to be very close between tier 1. 

Tier 2, Sauber will lead. Yep, plucked from the air, purely based on their rapid improvements. Honestly who knows, love the midfield battle.

I'm expecting a good race from this track. Added and longer DRS will put drivers side by side, especially into T6. I expect whining over the radio about off track overtakes on the exit. But I'm hoping we are served up overtake AND counter-overtake.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(14-07-2018, 12:45 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I for one really miss the old layout, boring.. maybe but a classic to me when I was in my Nigel Mansell fanship years...

I think I may be one of the only ones who prefers the new layout to the old one.

Sure it was classic, and by the time it was changed it was the only remaining 'blast-through-the-forest' style tracks. I just didn't think it required anywhere near the skill the other tracks do. Only knowing and consistently hitting the right braking points. Then there was the stadium section which a road car could have gotten around quicker with the compromised set-ups everyone had to run with.

I don't recall it being especially great from a TV viewers' perspective either. Lots of long, low level head-on shots and fuzzy on-boards

One last thought, as a driver would you really fancy hitting the brakes for the Jim Clark Chicane at 220mph with one of the recent crop of pay drivers on your gearbox?? I think I'd fancy my chances through the gravel and past the armco rather than having Jolyon Palmer try to out-brake me!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

John - I am ancient I am just hanging on to my youthful memories. For sure the new layout is much more demanding and probably makes for much, much better racing and without doubt requires more skill. I think Mercedes and Ferrari would just disappear into the distance on that old boy!
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

I wish this was a permanent position and getting rid of that tosspot Ericsson

Ferrari Formula 1 junior Antonio Giovinazzi will have his first practice outing of 2018 when he drives for Sauber in first practice for the German Grand Prix.
The Italian, who made his race debut with the Swiss squad in last year's Australian Grand Prix, will replace Marcus Ericsson in the first session of the weekend alongside Charles Leclerc.

It will be Giovinazzi's first outing in F1 machinery since he tested for Sauber and Ferrari in the post-Spanish Grand Prix text in May.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Come on Forza, that's today uncalled for and not like you at all... I mean, comparing tosspot to Ericsson is not fair. You should apologise for the offence caused to tosspot's everywhere.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(17-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Come on Forza, that's today uncalled for and not like you at all... I mean, comparing tosspot to Ericsson is not fair. You should apologise for the offence caused to tosspot's everywhere.

Lol, Sorry, I apologise to all those tosspots worldwide to whom I have unfairly compared with that completely useless cockwomble Ericsson Wink

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(17-07-2018, 05:59 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(17-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Come on Forza, that's today uncalled for and not like you at all... I mean, comparing tosspot to Ericsson is not fair. You should apologise for the offence caused to tosspot's everywhere.

Lol, Sorry, I apologise to all those tosspots worldwide to whom I have unfairly compared with that completely useless cockwomble Ericsson Wink

For someone who is known to be a sub standard driver worldwide......is he not a genius for making it into the pinnacle of motorsport(4 wheeled) when other more talented drivers fail....shake your head and offer a handshake i'd say.

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 4 users Like pennywise's post