Mad Max

(23-01-2019, 03:20 PM)morini Wrote:  Much as I am a fan of his driving, I really do wish Max would just shut up and do his talking on the track.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/verstappen...title-tilt

I don't know if the guy is insecure or what? But none of the other title contenders seem to feel the need to big themselves up like he seems to be doing. Of course, it could just be the media stirring but if he is saying these things then I reckon someone close to him should have a quiet word. It is starting to irritate.

Well, I never liked Verstappen before as a personality, but last year started to become a bit more mature.

I don't see a lot he is doing wrong lately, also not in the "interview"  you linked. The media keeps asking him these questions and Verstappen is just not the guy that goes for false modesty. Not completely my cup of tea, but I like this a lot better than Hamilton who does have that terrible false modesty that makes him look like a giant douchebag (my personal opinion that is).

That it is a bit much of the Verstappen champion material discussion lately I agree, but that is more the media's fault. They love Verstappen and keep promoting him as the next champion. Look how they made Hamilton and Vettel say it as well about Verstappen and now quoting those guys in this Verstappen piece. I'm sure I saw these same quotes elsewhere already.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(23-01-2019, 06:15 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  but I like this a lot better than Hamilton who does have that terrible false modesty that makes him look like a giant douchebag (my personal opinion that is).

.....and mine  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(23-01-2019, 06:53 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(23-01-2019, 06:15 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  but I like this a lot better than Hamilton who does have that terrible false modesty that makes him look like a giant douchebag (my personal opinion that is).

.....and mine  Tongue

Well I'm of the polar opposite opinion on this one chaps. Vettel and Hamilton have 9 WDC's between them and I don't ever remember either of them blowing their own trumpet like this young guy does (and I mean when they were up and coming earlier in their repective careers). I totally undertstand why people get irked by Hamilton (mostly a case of whatever he says it is going to iritate some people) but at least he has a massively successful track record to back it all up. Also, everyone knows I don't have much time for Vettel but at least I give him some credit for his respect for fellow competitors.

I still like watching Max on track and I will continue to enjoy that aspect. However, off track the media are portraying him as an arrogant prick lately. I'm not saying it's a 100% accurate picture of the young man but I'm finding myself getting more and more turned off by the way his personality is portrayed. I think the media is a lot to blame though and they are doing him no favours. Guess I'll just stick to watching him in the car and try to ignore him looking an ungracious twat out of it.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(23-01-2019, 09:35 PM)morini Wrote:  
(23-01-2019, 06:53 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  

.....and mine  Tongue

Well I'm of the polar opposite opinion on this one chaps. Vettel and Hamilton have 9 WDC's between them and I don't ever remember either of them blowing their own trumpet like this young guy does (and I mean when they were up and coming earlier in their repective careers). I totally undertstand why people get irked by Hamilton (mostly a case of whatever he says it is going to iritate some people) but at least he has a massively successful track record to back it all up. Also, everyone knows I don't have much time for Vettel but at least I give him some credit for his respect for fellow competitors.

I still like watching Max on track and I will continue to enjoy that aspect. However, off track the media are portraying him as an arrogant prick lately. I'm not saying it's a 100% accurate picture of the young man but I'm finding myself getting more and more turned off by the way his personality is portrayed. I think the media is a lot to blame though and they are doing him no favours. Guess I'll just stick to watching him in the car and try to ignore him looking an ungracious twat out of it.

It seems a track record and respect for fellow drivers does a lot good? 
Well, Verstappen respects his fellow drivers a lot and most of all Hamilton. Verstappen said it many times he respects Hamilton on the track and even outside (wich is a mystery to me...).
Track record and being a arrogant prick. He is a prick I think, but not arrogant. The track record is impressive and yes the word titles in F1 still not there. But see it like this; how did Hamilton his record looked like at the same age as Verstappen, what was he doing at that age? How will Vertappen record look at the age of Hamilton? Well, this last question I would answer if it was only up to the driving skills of Verstappen, but the car he will be driving in those years, choices of team will be of major importance (as Hamilton and Alonso proved).

What was it I was saying? Oh yes, I think the boy is not that bad of a person after all.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Mercedes have ‘made contact’ with Verstappen.

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko claims that Mercedes are in regular contact with Max Verstappen and his representatives.

Marko claimed that Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff regularly calls Max and his father Jos, sparking rumours of a possible switch to the Silver Arrows for the 21-year-old.

The Red Bull chief also confirmed that Verstappen does have a “performance clause” in his contract, though the exact details of that are unknown.

The Dutchman recently signed a new deal last season to keep him at Red Bull until the end of 2020.

“There is certainly a performance clause in Max’s contract,” Marko told AutoBild.

“Toto Wolff regularly calls him and his father, Jos.

“I am relaxed about it.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

So should we say in 2021:

Verstappen + Ocon/Ricciardo for Mercedes

Leclerc + Hamilton for Ferrari

Vettel + TBA for Williams !!!!

That would be pretty cool. I said it another post this week I would think Verstappen is already having second thoughts about his Red Bull contract. I think this is a turning point for RBR this year they either show up or decline, sure I expect them to finish third anyway but so far I am very unimpressed.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

NeilP Vettel is already talking about retiring after 2020. Which, if he is as unhappy as he seems might be wise. Lewis to Ferrari in 2021 might not be a bad bet. The issue there is do they back Leclerc and make room for Little Schumacher, or do they go get the current best driver on the grid? Difficult. If Ferrari don't move for Lewis though I have to say I see zero chance of Max at Mercedes in 2021.

(06-04-2019, 03:13 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Lewis to Ferrari in 2021 might not be a bad bet.

Please, if there is a god let this happen!! It would be worth it just to see Forza adopt Lewis fashion sense.

Chuckle Big Grin

(06-04-2019, 05:11 PM)morini Wrote:  Please, if there is a god let this happen!! It would be worth it just to see Forza adopt Lewis fashion sense.

Chuckle Big Grin

LOL, not while my arsehole points down will I dress like that attention seeking media whore  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(06-04-2019, 05:16 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  LOL, not while my arsehole points down will I dress like that attention seeking media whore  Tongue

Methinks the lady doth protest too much!

I can just see you in a tartan dress with a Ferrari flag around your shoulders Forza Wink