Mad Max

(09-07-2018, 08:14 PM)morini Wrote:  Moved some drunken off topic ramblings from last night to the mad house section. they're in the "British GP off topic ramblings" thread in cuckoo's nest.

Cant remember there being any...was I involved?...must go look Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/whiti...85/?nrt=54

FIA race director Charlie Whiting says Max Verstappen's anger at the penalty he received during the Italian Grand Prix was "absolutely expected".

Verstappen was penalised for his late-race clash with Valtteri Bottas, with the stewards deeming that he had moved in the braking area and not left the Finn with a car’s width.

After learning of the penalty from his team, Verstappen said: “I gave him space. They are doing a great job of killing racing, honestly. Bullshit.”
Whiting says that he gives drivers the benefit of the doubt when they criticise his decisions during a race.

“I heard that second-hand,” he said when asked by Motorsport.com of Verstappen's comments. “I don’t think you can take too much notice of comments made in the heat of battle, but I’m sure at the next drivers’ briefing we’ll have a little chat about that.
"As I say in the heat of battle, that’s absolutely expected.”
Verstappen continues to challenge the penalty, having subsequently viewed replays.
“I’ve watched it back, of course, and I still don’t agree with it,” he told Dutch TV channel Ziggo. “Maybe I could have given him a couple of more millimetres, but he was on the white line.
"But yeah, we can talk about this for a whole lot longer, it already has been decided.”
Asked if the rules should be changed, he said:

My view Max turned into Valtteri & his penalty was fair, he has to stop messing around in the braking zone, though on his last comment I totally agree, there needs to be consistency.

“One steward gives a penalty, another doesn’t."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

The FIA appointed a retired race driver to Steward at each grand prix in order to establish consistency.... Unfortunately it's a different race driver at each race, establishing utter inconsistency!!!

Surely a better solution would be appoint a driver for the season, rather than race by race.

Max is right about that, but his move was clumsy and totally deserving of a penalty in my eyes

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

(05-09-2018, 01:26 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  The FIA appointed a retired race driver to Steward at each grand prix in order to establish consistency.... Unfortunately it's a different race driver at each race, establishing utter inconsistency!!!

Surely a better solution would be appoint a driver for the season, rather than race by race.

Max is right about that, but his move was clumsy and totally deserving of a penalty in my eyes

How dare you come on here and make sensible suggestions dont you realise someone at the FIA may be reading these threads!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

PB it was mooted a long time ago that the FIA should have a set panel of ex-drivers for every race to help the stewards. I always thought it was a sensible idea, but some teams and drivers didn't like the idea because:

1) Ex-drivers might have axes to grind
2) They might be easy to "befriend" if they weren't rotated

I always thought the excuses smacked of BS to me, but maybe there's some truth to it. Would Ferrari be happy having Mika Häkkinen deliberating week in week out on incidents involving their cars?
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

You mean in the same way some people freak out because Jean Todt is in such an influential position and he was Ex Ferrari employee. (Hope I have not opened any old wounds up there for you Forza).

People need to get over these petty allegations and thoughts and trust the process.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(05-09-2018, 05:32 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  PB it was mooted a long time ago that the FIA should have a set panel of ex-drivers for every race to help the stewards. I always thought it was a sensible idea, but some teams and drivers didn't like the idea because:

1) Ex-drivers might have axes to grind
2) They might be easy to "befriend" if they weren't rotated

I always thought the excuses smacked of BS to me, but maybe there's some truth to it. Would Ferrari be happy having Mika Häkkinen deliberating week in week out on incidents involving their cars?

Yeah, I see what you mean. Wasn’t Damon Hill one of the stewards in Monaco when Schumacher overtook Alonso on the last corner and was penalised, despite being a legal move?

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

PB yup he was indeed. I think there has to be a way of doing it though where there is more consistency on the Ex-drivers side.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/other...n/3176019/

Max Verstappen is even more convinced that he was treated unfairly with his Italian Grand Prix penalty, after claiming other drivers got away with much worse behaviour at Monza.

I'm obviously a fan of Max BUT f1 drivers & egos...….    Stop     Shutup

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(13-09-2018, 04:57 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/other...n/3176019/

Max Verstappen is even more convinced that he was treated unfairly with his Italian Grand Prix penalty, after claiming other drivers got away with much worse behaviour at Monza.

I'm obviously a fan of Max BUT f1 drivers & egos...….    Stop     Shutup

Seems like he is saying that there would be no penalty if Bottas was a better driver...
And he might be right, that is the worst part.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post