Mad Max

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137067...verstappen

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Email
Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has admitted the Formula 1 team had to "stabilise" Max Verstappen after the mistakes that blighted the start of his season.
Verstappen has scored back-to-back podiums in F1 after an incident-packed start to 2018 that included several costly clashes and mistakes.
After the French Grand Prix he hit out at the criticism drivers receive for honest errors and referred specifically to the claims he needed to change his style as "nonsense".
Marko told Autosport that Verstappen's drives in Canada and France were evidence that he "is disciplined and yet can drive very fast" having entered the races with "a little less willingness to take risks, but not much less".
He said: "The problem was that Max put too much pressure on himself.

Marko said that was a needless incident to have given he was already quickest and just chasing a faster time in a practice session.
"That's exactly what he needs to learn: you won't win a championship just because you're ahead in every practice session," said Marko.
"On the other hand, we're glad he's so unruly.
"It's easier to get him [to calm] down than to build a not so fast or aggressive driver in that direction."

Marko said Verstappen has now found "the right measure of risk", highlighting his wheel-to-wheel fight with Valtteri Bottas at the start in Canada as one example.
"The aggressiveness and the fighting spirit make him stand out," said Marko. "That's why I always defended him."
Marko said it was a "necessity" for Red Bull to support Verstappen as much as possible when he is "so young and in the spotlight".
"In Austria he will be joined by 18,000 Dutchmen - probably even more after second place in France," he said.
"He has a cult status in his home country and Belgium.
"Dealing with this at the age of 20 is not quite so easy."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

If only F1 would adopt the "no entourage" rule. Then we wouldn't have worthless celebs or attendees rammed down our throats.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Does anyone else find it mildly irritating that hanger on Jos now starts coming out to the press saying never question Max’s style” yet before when Max was in a difficult moment he said nothing. Personally I think his dad should stay away from media and let his boy do it by himself. Sorry but I find Jos bloody annoying
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

(03-07-2018, 10:53 AM)LotusLover Wrote:  Does anyone else find it mildly irritating that hanger on Jos now starts coming out to the press saying never question Max’s style” yet before when Max was in a difficult moment he said nothing. Personally I think his dad should stay away from media and let his boy do it by himself. Sorry but I find Jos bloody annoying

I cant say I find him annoying (prob because I liked the guy as a driver) but I agree he should fade into the background more and as you say let Max do his thing.
(unless of course he is hankering after a seat and trying to keep himself relevant lol)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Joss the boss, pretty sure Jos will do what Jos wants to do lol, from the old school of drivers, straight from the when "blokes were blokes" mould, I was also a fan, watched him at Zandvoort doing a demo in the orange TWR Arrows, at the Dutch touring cars in 2000, great day out & Amsterdam was..... interesting too.

Nah not for me, was a backmarker most of his career if not all. Good effort on funding his son to the top no probs there just don’t want to see his miserably Dutch mush on tv or race coverage. Fuck him off basically ???

(03-07-2018, 12:53 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Fuck him off basically ???

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autos...-bar-brawl

Like I said old school.    

Edit, I've just changed my mind, sadly, just found this looking into Jos.    Angry

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/04/04/...is-mother/

There is some stuff I didn't like, this was the worst. "In December 2008, Verstappen appeared in court in Tongeren charged with assaulting his wife Sophie Kumpen." (mother of Max)

I played rugby, boys thumped each other every game back then BUT it was drummed into us (in that era) boys don't touch girls, sadly Jos hasn't learned this.

Quote. "I would venture that the bulk of Max’s DNA comes from the good side of his family, namely his mother Sophie Kumpen who in her karting days beat the likes of Jenson Button, Giancarlo Fisichella and Jarno Trulli.
So it would be safe to say that Max inherited his mother’s genes when it comes to his incredible racing instincts and, by all accounts, his amiable personality too. In other words: thankfully he takes after his mother!"

The link doesn't make for nice reading.

(03-07-2018, 01:05 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(03-07-2018, 12:53 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Fuck him off basically ???

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autos...-bar-brawl

Like I said old school.    

Edit, I've just changed my mind, sadly, just found this looking into Jos.    Angry

https://www.grandprix247.com/2017/04/04/...is-mother/

There is some stuff I didn't like, this was the worst. "In December 2008, Verstappen appeared in court in Tongeren charged with assaulting his wife Sophie Kumpen." (mother of Max)

I played rugby, boys thumped each other every game back then BUT it was drummed into us (in that era) boys don't touch girls, sadly Jos hasn't learned this.

Quote. "I would venture that the bulk of Max’s DNA comes from the good side of his family, namely his mother Sophie Kumpen who in her karting days beat the likes of Jenson Button, Giancarlo Fisichella and Jarno Trulli.
So it would be safe to say that Max inherited his mother’s genes when it comes to his incredible racing instincts and, by all accounts, his amiable personality too. In other words: thankfully he takes after his mother!"

The link doesn't make for nice reading.

Jos is coming from not such a nice background. Before his career in F1, it was not uncommon he got himself into a fight. Even only a couple years ago he got into a fight with a new boyfriend of his ex wife ánd (this one is the best) he got into a fight with is father. Yes, he fought Max his grandfather…
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

Yes I read that, really sad, I used to be a fan, no more, if you read the link you will understand my bad feeling, I'm sad.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

To be honest I think I opened a can of worms, I was only on about him interviewing when his son is in the up anyway back to Max I think he has a good temperament generally yeah he is aggressive on the track, I never liked his double moving style but I appreciate his speed and diving in adverse conditions, his Dad did nothing on track tbh Max will do a lot I think let’s hope he can keep his sh1t together!
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post