Kimi Raikkonen

(08-10-2020, 10:13 AM)morini Wrote:  This implies Kimi is going to extend at Alfa. I'm a bit disappointed TBH.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk...eo/4887401

I know from the teams perspective he is an experienced guy to steer car development, but I don't really see what he gets out of it? He must really like driving these cars to be schlepping around at the back in the twilight of his career. He already has way more money than he can spend so it can't be financially driven can it? Time to go IMO. Put two F2 drivers in there (combine two out of Schumacher / Illot / Schwarzman) as we are at the tail end of a car regulation / development cycle anyway.

I believed Raikonen said already that he only doing it because he enjoys racing and especially in F1 cars. He finds it hard to understand that other people don't get that. What does he cares that he is driving in the back, still better than not driving at all. He won everything and does not need to prove himself anymore.

I tend to agree with him. I would love to race in a F1 car if I would not suck at it (and even if I suck at it). And I like the guy as a character, so go Kimi!
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(08-10-2020, 01:39 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  I believed Raikonen said already that he only doing it because he enjoys racing and especially in F1 cars. He finds it hard to understand that other people don't get that. What does he cares that he is driving in the back, still better than not driving at all. He won everything and does not need to prove himself anymore.

I tend to agree with him. I would love to race in a F1 car if I would not suck at it (and even if I suck at it). And I like the guy as a character, so go Kimi!

I can understand that to a degree, but he's 40 and it is a young man's game. If you aren't fighting at the front then time to give someone younger a chance. I like him as a character too, but his time has come and there are other race series.

Feel the same way about Alonso's return as well. Though at least he will have a chance at points and podiums as the Renault is getting better.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(08-10-2020, 03:01 PM)morini Wrote:  
(08-10-2020, 01:39 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  I believed Raikonen said already that he only doing it because he enjoys racing and especially in F1 cars. He finds it hard to understand that other people don't get that. What does he cares that he is driving in the back, still better than not driving at all. He won everything and does not need to prove himself anymore.

I can understand that to a degree, but he's 40 and it is a young man's game. If you aren't fighting at the front then time to give someone younger a chance. I like him as a character too, but his time has come and there are other race series.

Feel the same way about Alonso's return as well. Though at least he will have a chance at points and podiums as the Renault is getting better.

I understand your point. But, in my opinion it is not by definition a young man's game. 
Sometimes a team does not need another young gun, but a experienced driver that helps the team develop the car as well as helps the young driver how to set up a car, etc. Alonso and Raikonen seem to fit in that picture.

I am very curious about Alonso. He used to be great as a driver, wonder how much of this he lost because of age (or how less).

I dont think Alonso will have lost any of his skills, he`s still hungry & supremely fit.... these days we never see drivers stepping of of the cars totally fatigued and barely able to stand anyway.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(08-10-2020, 01:39 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(08-10-2020, 10:13 AM)morini Wrote:  This implies Kimi is going to extend at Alfa. I'm a bit disappointed TBH.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk...eo/4887401

I know from the teams perspective he is an experienced guy to steer car development, but I don't really see what he gets out of it? He must really like driving these cars to be schlepping around at the back in the twilight of his career. He already has way more money than he can spend so it can't be financially driven can it? Time to go IMO. Put two F2 drivers in there (combine two out of Schumacher / Illot / Schwarzman) as we are at the tail end of a car regulation / development cycle anyway.

I believed Raikonen said already that he only doing it because he enjoys racing and especially in F1 cars. He finds it hard to understand that other people don't get that. What does he cares that he is driving in the back, still better than not driving at all. He won everything and does not need to prove himself anymore.

You are completely right in your top paragraph I was listening to this whilst painting the house. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/f1...0431693367

I do have mixed feelings though as I’d like to see some of the F2 guys like Schwartzmann have an opportunity

(08-10-2020, 05:05 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I dont think Alonso will have lost any of his skills, he`s still hungry & supremely fit.... these days we never see drivers stepping of of the cars totally fatigued and barely able to stand anyway.

Apparently he’s a 9 in everything he does including whinging  Big Grin probably a 10 on that one haha