2018 British GP

Yeah, I remember that too Forza, and I remember reading at the time he was asthmatic. Hence the questions.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

27 pages, jeez folks thats a lot of catch up!
Brace yourselves, this is a long one : P
[Image: DhlzDpmW0AEGVSy.jpg]
[Image: Dhl1TIeXkAAwadW.jpg]
[Image: DiD9cClX4AE4NR4.jpg]
[Image: DhmVFJwXcAIF7MV.jpg][Image: DhmWINKWsAA6Y1z.jpg]
[Image: DhphxjjWkAAxUVJ.jpg]

Race
I really hope this race makes the sport owners and organisers realise that this track and other greats need saving, because they deliver. The wide, fast track means we are in for a show. It all happened, thats a nice lapchart to view.

Another first lap/corner incident between the main protagonist teams. Really unfortunate, did it make the race, no. If there wasnt such a massive gap between the two tiers of the sport it might of been more entertaining. Just like Vettel in France, it was all too easy for Lewis, personally I didn't find either carves through the field interesting.

What was good was strategy possibilities, and how they were going to play out. What made the race were the safety cars, that crowd cheer when the first was deployed, brilliant. Bunching the field up, with differing tyres and low fuel loads. Watching the both MER vs both FER was perfect to see, almost MotoGP'esque shame they can be passing each other corner by corner, but their close proximity was good enough.

Vettel's dive bomb overtake on Bottas was a show, exactly the same as Baku, only this time warmer, newer tyres.
Kimi vs Max, my word, how the hell did Max go round the outside of T7, brilliant. Its a favourite of mine in online racing, but usually the overtaked are sore and pit maneuver you into the old pit wall. Kimi knew he was beat so left enough room on the outside as to not run Max off the road, fair play. He knew he would get him, he did even with Max's usual showy defending.

Speed traps. Re-watching the race I realised how thin the RedBulls rear wing is. Yet max can blast round the outside of T7, that car is unreal, yet look at the speed trap figures and it is shockingly slow. RedBull couldn't wait to leave Renault, even if Honda don't deliver, they just want a change of mentality.

Big shame for Charles, I think the British crowd wanted to see him do well. As for his teammate, it was going to happen for someone, just like Grosjean in FP1, it was the DRS decision. I dont blame the drivers much.

Alonso getting that McLaren where is doesn't belong again, at last. Even being run off the road two or three times by Magnussen, but he got it done, I bet that felt great, the radio "YES!" said it all.

Pitstops, notice how the ones that have had recent past issues are dropping a second due to extra precaution. Sauber have been reigning supreme recently, heres hoping they dont start to loose time there due to what happened in this race. They are deep in the midfield battle now.

Post Race
I don't blame the drivers disappearing for the post session interviews, they are horrific, not even a chance to de-rig before a mic is thrust into their face, they need to adpt the MotoGP post session "pen". I think a few were a little over dramatic when Lewis does it because he's a "celeb". However couple it with his tactics (yes now retracted comments) it all looked a little sour.

I find it a little odd Lewis said he was physical unable to stand. It's not the first time this season he has seemed to suffer "fitness", 'member the heavy breathing? It's what some fans want, for drivers to have fight, to be a wreck after driving such fast machines. Was it fitness though, or was it drowning expectation.

I think Morini made a good point, it's up the the Mercedes team to deal with competition now. They didn't really have to last year. They were comfortable on the tracks they needed to be, to ensure the championship. Abu Dhabi just showed how much they had in the bag. This year, they are being pushed, and forgive the cliche, but cracks are showing. 

The two championships contenders upgrade roadmaps are significantly different. Mercs under the hood stuff really helped in Spain onwards, then the significant Austria/Britain update has closed out the final few issues. Whats interesting is how much scope they have left? Ferrari have been drip feeding since race 1, and barring the rear suspension in Spain that needed more optimising than normal, every upgrade has brought pace, the new floor in Britain I think they have stated worked better than expected. Coupled with a few Ferrari statements saying there is still alot of scope with the philosophy this year. Post summer break is going to be very telling. Best development race we have seen in many years. I'm intrigued about next engine upgrades, paddock are saying Ferrari are now top, and there must be more to come with their next pool.

The interviews are just another thing adding to the very very long list of aspects making a mockery of the show that is all to do with presentation and publication of the sport. I mean what the heck is the 90's CGI all about, I vomit blood when ever its on screen. It amazing they are still pressing on with. I mean without even trying to spend more than £50 on the graphics. It's 2018, near perfect realism is easily achievable. If they improved the quality, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. though it would still make a mockery of the show, and how they think the "pinnacle of spot" the fastest cars on the plant need CGI in their show concluded Liberty MEDIA have no sodding idea.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Thanks for yet another great write up/summary Hesh, put`s most of the so called "professional jurno`s" to shame.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Normally just thumbs it up but I got to say great post Hesh, nice one.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Great write up Hesh.

I thought the CGI Heineken stars straddling the track in Montreal were bad enough, but lo and behold now we have enormous flickering billboards (why are they even flickering? It's like a bad zombie/apocalypse movie!) and Lewis & Seb peering through giant F1 logos track-side.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but bring back the "Bernie says Don't Drink & Drive!" or "Bernie Says Thanks for the backhanders" messages on the start/finish straight at the race start. At least they were over and done with after a few seconds.

Last moan, why did they paint "It's coming home" on the Union Flag-painted tarmac at the pit entry? I really hope it is 'coming home', but a) why tempt fate and encourage the brainless idiots, and b) why on a union flag and not an England flag? It makes no sense!? lol

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 4 users Like Purple-banana's post

"Bernie Says Thanks for the backhanders"...made me laugh Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post