2018 Austrian GP

Interesting, I think the teams must be expecting rain this afternoon, because Ferrari and Mercedes definitely ended FP1 with some race simulations... and were I Ferrari I'd be happy with the pace shown. Vettel averaging 0.5 second advantage over Hamilton, obviously not knowing fuel loads etc.

(29-06-2018, 11:41 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Interesting, I think the teams must be expecting rain this afternoon, because Ferrari and Mercedes definitely ended FP1 with some race simulations... and were I Ferrari I'd be happy with the pace shown. Vettel averaging 0.5 second advantage over Hamilton, obviously not knowing fuel loads etc.

Not reading anything into that, I reckon Mercedes look very strong and nobody has shown their hand yet.

[Image: Dg2kL6JW4AEwbHl.jpg]
[Image: Dg2m-OpW4AIgXCt.jpg]

Mega close in optimal laps! Be nice if qually is like that.

I was thinking the same Jody, but basing it on Ferrari pace. Everyone completed a lot of laps, maybe because its a short track, but certainly some extended stints at the end of the session.

Top three are close. Not close enough though, I still believe if Ferrari or RedBull want to challenge for the pole/win, they have to be ahead on Friday by a couple of tenths. The shorter lap is making it seem closer than it is.

Midfield is looking super interesting, it's a real mix.

Back of the grid Williams and McLaren are going to have dull races. Maybe McLaren could come better when they don softer tyres. That update package just isn't delivering. I know everyone here has a soft spot for Kubica, but it's hard to watch his limitations controlling an F1 car.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

@Morini, we have this discussion every race weekend, I agree, ultimate pace in FP1 (especially) and FP2 mean bugger all come qualifying, however, EVERY race so far the race simulation stints normally done in FP2 have been spot on in terms of race pace and Sunday performance...

However, I for once agree with you here. Firstly, it is super weird to see race sims in FP1. Hardly ever happens, and so I don't think the teams will have settled towards anywhere near their optimal set ups yet. So I can't take anything from them. Secondly, the Mercedes was carrying A LOT of fuel no question. I reckon if you listen closely you can hear it sloshing about. I think Mercedes could be sand bagging here. Thirdly it is the Mercedes that looks best on track. No question, you can see when a car is a dog, but the Merc is the only car riding the curbs and not shaking like a Parkinson's sufferer using a powerdrill.

That last point is big, because it means they'll be able to use all the track without fuss. Seriously, the Mercedes suspension really is an absolute marvel. Watching the slo-mo shots of Bottas through the last two corners was amazing. The suspension arms wiggling up and down at a frenetic rate, while the rest of the car looked as steady, stable and calm as a Hindu cow. Neither Red Bull nor Ferrari are anywhere close in that department. Whoever back at base is responsible, Mercedes need to give them a raise. Just do not get how the hell they achieve it. We first saw it in Aus, but also Baku and last weekend in France. In short the Mercedes looks damn good here. The Ferrari is having some understated issues and the rear end is looking a bit wild. Red Bull look pretty good when on the black stuff, but when they hit the curbs their car is looking the least stable of the big three. So on visual analysis I do think the pecking order is Mercedes, Ferrari and then Red Bull.

@Monster Hesh, don't read anything into Kubica's times. He was doing tyre pressure and tyre camber work. As well as running various front wings, actually I think he ran every front wing Williams have ever made EVER. He was actually running a consistent speed on the straights, not really pushing, so I think he was doing car development work.

Take it with a pinch of salt because it's ESPN but there is a rumour Ferrari have complained about Mercedes Mirrors.

Yeah he was performing his role, I wasn't really talking about his laptimes, i was mentioning what I was physically seeing. To make setting adjustments, he is effectively letting go of the steering wheel. His right hand offer near to no control. But, that is just what I'm seeing on screen, he obviously passes fitness tests, so powers that be must be happy he can control that car in any asked situation.

Sloshing fuel, if I didn't know fuel tanks were like bladders, I'd believe you : P

I think Ferrari need their practice sessions more than most. Yes they run detuned, heavy, but their setup go through alot of changes over Friday night, and before qualifying. So far they nail it every time, except maybe France where they were still suffering under steer. If we get rain, and they dont get the chance to test and confirm setup changes they could suffer more.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Less pinch of salt this time, apparently Toto and Bottas are reporting being very happy with how the upgrades are working, everything correlates and so far so good apparently.

@Monster Hesh didn't see Kubica fiddling with his steering wheel, so I'll take your word for it. Me personally? I don't think he's good enough for the grid either. However, I do think he is probably, even with one hamd hanging off, better than some of the drivers we have on the grid.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

So far FP2 indicates it's tight again, but with Lewis still having a pace advantage early doors. He's looking mighty apart turn 3 and turn 11 where he's still not dialed in.

Those curbs have just broken the suspension of Gasly's car.

So these race stints are interesting in FP2. Currently

Vettel average lap time = 1:08.6
Current stint length 24 laps (Age of tyres 24 laps, consecutive stint 18)

Bottas average lap time = 1:08.9
Current stint length 15 laps (Age of tyres 15 laps. consecutive stint 5)

Hamilton average lap time = 1:09.2
Current stint length 17 laps (Age of tyres 17 laps, consecutive stint 4)

Ricciardo average lap time = 1:10.5
Current stint length 16 laps (Age of tyres 16, consecutive stint 9)

Max Verstappen average lap time = 1:11.2
Current stint length 19 (Age of tyres 19 laps, consecutive stint 12)(and I've taken two very slow 1:15+ laps out of Max's stint.)

Red Bull are struggling massively here. They're chewing their tyres up, Leclerc is actually quicker in these race stints than Red Bull. Ferrari look super comfortable on the race stints, but look out of sorts when pushing. Not sure whether or not the Mercedes pace is representative, they're using their first engines whereas Ferrari are not.

Those stints were on the Ultra Softs... on the Softs it's flipped with Mercedes currently going quicker than the Ferrari's by a similar margin. Red Bull still nowhere... That looks bad for them.

This is fascinating, because Bottas on the Super Softs just put in a cracking stint. Could Ferrari want Ultra and then Softs, whereas Mercedes Supers and then Softs? Or are Mercedes going to need to two stop? Because looking at Lewis now who has switched to a new set of Ultras he's flying. Hmmm. That's 2.8 seconds quicker than anyone else on race sims... Interesting. Race trim... giving it to Ferrari. Ultimate pace... easily Mercedes. Let's see how this pans out, but it bodes well for a close race on Sunday. The Ferrari looked far more settled this afternoon.

Just seen the softs coming off of both Ferrari's after only a few laps and there's graining on the rears already after only a few laps!!! This is weird as hell.

(29-06-2018, 03:33 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  This is fascinating, because Bottas on the Super Softs just put in a cracking stint. Could Ferrari want Ultra and then Softs, whereas Mercedes Supers and then Softs? Or are Mercedes going to need to two stop? Because looking at Lewis now who has switched to a new set of Ultras he's flying. Hmmm. That's 2.8 seconds quicker than anyone else on race sims... Interesting. Race trim... giving it to Ferrari. Ultimate pace... easily Mercedes. Let's see how this pans out, but it bodes well for a close race on Sunday. The Ferrari looked far more settled this afternoon.

Didnt get to watch fp2, only switched on as chequered flag came out, heard them saying Ferrari looked good and consistant on long run....."That's 2.8 seconds quicker than anyone else on race sims"....seriously??....as I say didnt watch

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(29-06-2018, 03:33 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  That's 2.8 seconds quicker than anyone else on race sims... ...but it bodes well for a close race on Sunday.

I haven't seen any of the FPs being at work, but please can you explain how 2.8 sec quicker with an old, knackered and slow PU (compared to "2.1") bodes well for a close race?

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post