2018 Austrian GP

Well, at other places they sometimes offer reduced passes for the other days, if they can, or offer some form of refund. Spa that year was an exception, it's actually discouraged me from going back, I have, but nowhere near as frequently as I did. It's certainly not the annual pilgrimage it used to be. The one year Friday was a wash out at Silverstone they offered money back there and then, or a flat rate discount on tickets bought for the next year's event. I bought a weekend pass, so that worked!!! I really think it's something F1 needs to work on, the value proposition of what it is they offer.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(27-06-2018, 11:01 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  This is one of my pet peeves, fans come from all over the world and pay bloody good money to watch their favourite sport, if it rains on a Friday obviously the teams are reluctant to send the cars out on track but the poor feckers who have shelled out to watch the Friday sessions dont get what they paid for.....

Yep, that was me three years in a row at Silverstone, we only did Fridays. In those three years, one FP2 was dry enough for running the full session. My fourth and final year at Silverstone was blazing sun all day, we didn't know what to do.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Jody... Question for you. Will Mercedes run their first engine in any of practices for any races or is that engine now completely finished with?

(27-06-2018, 03:21 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Jody... Question for you. Will Mercedes run their first engine in any of practices for any races or is that engine now completely finished with?

I'm pretty sure Mercedes Spec 1 PU's will be wheeled out for FP1 and FP2 for some time yet, unless Mercedes think they can cycle it back in for use at Hungary if they don't. However, I think keeping the FP mileage off of their spec 2.1 engines is probably preferable. They'll run those spec 1 units until they explode. Every team will if they can. 22 races on 3 engines in this era is a monumental ask, and the only way it's achievable is with cycling units in and out during race weekends. I expect we'll see spec 1 PU's possible up until Japan if they can get away with it in FP1 and FP2. Last season Mercedes were using their first PU all the way up until Mexico in FP1 and FP2, but it had less races to do last year and was swapped out in Spain.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

Austrian GP Technical Preview

https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...preview-2/

Jody you were right, alot of Merc updates, Mirrors-mounts, Rear wing-McLaren style, Side pods-narrower & flow conditioners. Hopefully Formula 1 Tech will cover the upgrades later in the weekend, although their activity has been low recently.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Leading drivers have warned Formula 1 chiefs against trying to make the sport too much like "Mario Kart", following the addition of a third DRS zone at the Austrian Grand Prix.
In a bid to try to help overtaking around the Red Bull Ring, the FIA has added an extra DRS zone between Turns 2 and 4.

But while a lack of overtaking has been an issue in F1 this season, top drivers like Sebastian Vettel are fearful about a push that could make grand prix racing too artificial.
"I don't know if it is a solution to put in [extra] DRS zones," said Vettel.
"Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people that maybe like the idea of Mario Kart, including myself, I played it when I was young, but then again I think it shouldn't get artificial. We will see how it works out.
"Maybe it helps with overtaking and so on, but if you end up driving past another car it isn't very exciting either.
"There is more tension and more excitement if the car is behind and maybe something will happen rather than just sailing past."

"Let's see how it goes," said the Haas driver. "When I saw it first of all, I was a bit sceptical because I think it's a lot of DRS zones, basically every straight.
"So we just need to see how it goes into racing and if it's not like Mario Kart where I pass, then you pass, and then I pass back."
Kimi Raikkonen added: "Half of the track is DRS, so it should make it pretty easy. I don't know if it's too easy or not.
"Obviously we want overtaking but there must be a point where it's kind-of artificial overtaking. But let's see."

But not all drivers were so sceptical of the change, with world champion Lewis Hamilton thinking that the extra DRS zone could make things better.
"I think ultimately they're doing that to try and make racing more exciting because it's not exciting enough, and the fundamentals are too big to change within the season," he said.
"We're trying to make the best with what we have. I think the way they've got it set up, you can get DRS in one zone, you can overtake, and then the other guy can get DRS in the next part.

"So it could be good maybe. It's not particularly the easiest of tracks to follow on, so it will be interesting."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Hesh, yeah I saw, it's not evolution either, but quite a serious revision of their concept. Dare I say it, the sidepods look almost Allisonesque. The pinch down looks kinda like Red Bull as others have pointed out, however, his last few Enstone designs also featured similar shapes, and were super competitive for price to points ratio, and easy on the tyres, plus highly aero efficient. While the front of the pods look Ferrariesque, and again, people in the paddock attribute that to Allison also. Interestingly seeing these side pods so tight and altered also fits in with a rumour I heard before France that Mercedes were going for a very different radiator / cooling set up, and given we've seen their radiators this season after Bottas trashed his car in Australia, and when they had to fix his leak in Spain, I do not think those radiators and cooling elements would fit in the new sidepods. So there's a lot going on under the skin of the Mercedes. They've slowly been upping the rake since Spain too. I'm really hoping tomorrow is dry now so I get to see how it all works on track.

I do not like it one little bit. What is next are we going to have the crackpot idea someone came up with of turning sprinklers on during the race!!!

I like F1 but there are people a lot more passionate about the sport than me. I am a little bit of a purist I do not want to see artificial aids or hindrances affect the race. I want the best car and driver to win. It is the same with refueling do we want to reduce the race to seeing who has the best refueling crew win? I know I do not want that.

Fix the ability to follow cars closely that should change the whole outlook of the sport and should give fans what they want; more overtaking.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

PS. The DRS zones, I'd rather the sport didn't need them, but in its current incarnation it does. Interestingly last weekend in France I don't think that track needed DRS, we know Silverstone doesn't, we know Spa doesn't, we know Monza doesn't... it's almost like the old classic racing tracks don't need the gimmicks. See how it plays out this weekend, but given the A1 Ri... sorry Red Bull Ring is at altitude DRS has never really made a difference here.

(28-06-2018, 06:46 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I do not like it one little bit.  What is next are we going to have the crackpot idea someone came up with of turning sprinklers on during the race!!!

I like F1 but there are people a lot more passionate about the sport than me. I am a little bit of a purist I do not want to see artificial aids or hindrances affect the race. I want the best car and driver to win. It is the same with refueling do we want to reduce the race to seeing who has the best refueling crew win? I know I do not want that.

Fix the ability to follow cars closely that should change the whole outlook of the sport and should give fans what they want; more overtaking.

I agree NeilP, but they can't bolt on active suspension or ground effect mid way through the season, or radically change the front and rear wings. It's not possible, so they're trying to do something, so far they haven't got the balance right anywhere really. So we'll see.

Soooo, for people's information Mercedes are running their first PU in FP1 and I assume FP2. Also going to say that if Ferrari are doing their normal sandbagging they're looking very quick so far.

As always at Austria the curbs are causing problems, wings breaking, aero widgets being shaken off the car, and floors being destroyed. Have to say the Merc is looking more like a spec-B car.

So far FP1 is suggesting this is shaping up to be a very close weekend between the top 3. It is a very short lap.

PS. So far McLaren look slowest here, and the Honda PU in Gasly's car at least seems to be doing quite well.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post