2018 Austrian GP

Totally get your points Jody, but nevertheless what a precipitous drop from finishing 3rd in the Constructors race 2015 to where they are now. Maybe there has not been enough time for Lowes ideas to be fully incorporated but it clearly is not just him its the whole team from top to bottom. I mean I could understand given the lack of resources if they had dropped to a mid field runner but lets be honest here they are the worst team in F1 and with what is going on a McLaren that is saying something!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

NeilP, but the in 2015 Williams were running the all conquering Mercedes the PU106B, which had between a 200 and 250 bhp advantage over Frerrari and Renault if you believe the sound analysis of the day, plus Pat Symonds had settled into the team as technical director, and had worked on their 2014 and 2015 cars, and Symonds wasn't half bad at designing cars, sadly he and Claire Williams didn't see eye to eye and he had to leave because she didn't like him trying to take more and more control over how Williams were run, and he had to leave in 2016. That was probably the biggest mistake Williams made, technical staff were also diverted by Claire to provided batteries and stuff for Formula E, which Symonds opposed, and, well... the rest as they say is history.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(26-06-2018, 04:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  NeilP, the 2017 Merc blueprint was set by Lowe, he was working from the previous blueprint he was given, but had a much bigger say in the direction the 2017 car would take, given the rules changes. It can be very hard to redirect a car when the gearboxes etc. are all set around one design philosophy.

As to why Williams are struggling with a Lowe design while Merc aren't? Just look at the personnel differences, I think Lowe made the point that Mercedes has more aerodynamacists working on their floor and difuser than Williams have on their entire car, and I bet the Mercedes team is better qualified and skilled than the Williams team. So with those sorts of resources Mercedes can pretty much make any concept work.

PS. It's also fair to point out Lowe had just as many misses as hits while he was at McLaren. In fact Lowe often needs others around him to rein in his 'crazy' concepts, at Merc he had that, but even at McLaren some of his wackier ideas made it through, some work, others don't.

Wow I never realised Mercedes could put so many people into that, is that the same for RB and Ferrari? If so surely there can be no question as to why there is a two-tier Formula in F1. That must be incredibly daunting and frustrating for the smaller teams
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

LotusLover, in a word... yes!

Cyril Abitobul has said that's Renault's issue, they're not even at 50% of RBR, Ferrari and Mercedes staffing levels, and he's argued there aren't the qualified staff out there as the big three have snapped them up. I honestly think this is why there is the two tier system as you say. The levels of expertise held by the big three is stunning, it really is McLaren is at similar levels to Renault now, and look at how they're struggling, it's not all about staffing levels (although it's a big part of it) it's also about how you deploy them. Although given Sauber received 20 engineers from Ferrari and look at how they've moved up the grid.

Well that final sentence kind of answered your part about it being more than just the staffing, as you well know its all about the input into the design and build. Frankly i thi ks its disgusting that all three can ve allowed to snap up all talent at a detriment to the other teams and the sport itself. Motorsport has a ugly side imo.

Weather:

Friday, the best day: Could be a wash out. Doubt we'll see any running at all. Why waste engine mileage, if there was such a short supply Friday crowd may of got to see some cars, alot of people are going to be annoyed this weekend. Any gamblers out there, maybe some crazy outsider bets for FP1 : P

Saturday and Sunday: Partly cloudy, mid 20's. Track temp about 30-35C's? Very stable and perfect operating window.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

If that's the weather forecast then you might see some installation laps on Friday, to make sure there are no gremlins in the cars but that'll be it. A very frantic FP3, and then a quite mixed qualifying with "run what ya bring". Be frustrating for Mercedes though as I'm sure they'll want to validate there wind tunnel findings with real world on track experience. We'll see I guess, if there is rain on any of the days I'd prefer it on Sunday personally.

This is one of my pet peeves, fans come from all over the world and pay bloody good money to watch their favourite sport, if it rains on a Friday obviously the teams are reluctant to send the cars out on track but the poor feckers who have shelled out to watch the Friday sessions dont get what they paid for.....

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Forza, I once went to Spa on a Friday when at uni, as I couldn't afford any other days, but Spa at the time had been an annual pilgrimage for me. It chucked it down all Friday and I got to see the safety car 3 times that day. That was it. No refund, no offer of day pass or even reduced day pass for the Saturday. Tough. I understand the teams not risking it. Even moreso now they have just the 3 engines, and in some cases just 2 components for the entire season. However, as a paying fan it's fucking annoying.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(27-06-2018, 11:10 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Forza, I once went to Spa on a Friday when at uni, as I couldn't afford any other days, but Spa at the time had been an annual pilgrimage for me. It chucked it down all Friday and I got to see the safety car 3 times that day. That was it. No refund, no offer of day pass or even reduced day pass for the Saturday. Tough. I understand the teams not risking it. Even moreso now they have just the 3 engines, and in some cases just 2 components for the entire season. However, as a paying fan it's fucking annoying.

I totally get the teams not wanting to risk/run the cars especially now with the stupid component penalties, and thankfully of all the races I have attended I was fortunate enough there was dry running in all sessions, just think there should be be some form of recompense for those who attend a Friday wet session....how this would work I dont know, just feel sorry for those paying fans.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli