Ferrari

I will reserve judgement, but Arrivabene is wrong, they did not have a straight line advantage in Russia. That is clear. It's also worth noting since the second sensors have been fitted how much more competitive the Force India seems relative to the Ferrari powered cars. If they aren't ahead in Suzuka on the straights, or comfortably ahead in CotA, I'll draw my own conclusions.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140081...r-a-decade

Ferrari's engineering chief Jock Clear believes the team has had its "strongest season for 10 years" in Formula 1 during 2018.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Jock Clear is right, they have. I also expect Ferrari to build seriously on what has been an outstanding car this season. It is strangely Mercedes who have the kinks to iron out of their car next season. My hopes are Ferrari are as strong again, Honda actually deliver for Red Bull and Mercedes deliver a better car and we have a battle royale.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Bernie Ecclestone has once again suggested Ferrari did not do enough to aid Sebastian Vettel's title fight against Lewis Hamilton in 2018, suggesting that the German is "a victim not the culprit" in the Scuderia's failure to secure either individual or team honours.

Vettel came up short to Hamilton for a second year in succession, despite looking a heavy favourite to beat Hamilton to title number five as Ferrari delivered a car capable of outpacing Mercedes' in the middle of the season.
However, a string of on-track errors – most notably sliding out of a German GP he was leading – was compounded by strategy missteps, while Hamilton put together a dominant end to the year to secure the title.

Ecclestone says the mid-season death of former president Sergio Marchionne let Ferrari in "chaos", with Vettel the one to pay the price.
"Lewis Hamilton is a deserved 2018 F1 champion and Vettel an undeserved second in the championship," Ecclestone told Auto Bild.
"Lewis was outstanding this year but he also had the full support of the team. You can't say that for Sebastian.

"After Marchionne's death, a strong hand was missing and there was more chaos than structure.
"From the outside, you had the impression that Ferrari did more for Kimi than for Sebastian.
"Sebastian is a victim not the culprit.

"If Vettel had the same support like Lewis, Vettel would have also become champion this year.
"A team needs to strengthen their star driver not weaken him."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

I am calling BS on that. To me that is Bernie firing shots at Ferrari. Most of Vettels misfortunes occurred on track and were not enacted by the team. The one I will partially lay the blame at the feet of Arrivabene would be Germany where clearly they should have let Vettel past Raikonnen but that said I believe Vettel was at the controls of the car when it crashed.

I refuse to believe Marchionne had much to do with the day to day running of team I saw him mainly a guy standing with a whip in his hand and thrashing any slackers who showed their faces. I think Arrivabene did a decent job last year although I am somewhat surprised he has not being replaced by Binotti by now. If indeed what Bernie says has any modicum of truth to it surely Arrivabene would be gone by now.

I dont know much about Ferrari's politics I trust Forza does. To me Vettel is at worst 95% responsible for his failure to win the WDC. Teams and drivers make mistakes, happens all the time. Mercedes made some last year too, they all did.

I like to think I can be unbiased even with who I follow in all sports and teams I watch and to me Hamilton was at least one if not two levels higher than Vettel. I believe Sebastian took a big step backward last year and his reputation suffered especially as he is a four time WDC. I also feel if Ricciardo, Alonso and maybe even Verstappen drove for Ferrari last year they MAY have been a Champion.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Honestly, I too thoroughly disagree with Bernie. Ferrari made some bad decisions this year, Germany wasn't a massive clanger. For starters they made the call after fewer laps than Mercedes did with Bottas Hamilton in Russia... just let that sink in. The tyre call in Japan for quality was "wrong" but strategically right. They were able to get round and put slicks on. Truth is Ferrari made some cracking decisions this season, do we not remember Vettel being told in Australia to try and go long on his tyres when it became apparent he couldn't keep up with Lewis and Kimi? Why? Because they knew the likelihood of SC's at Albert Park. The pit calls in Bahrain were spot on, and there were other moments too. Even the whole Italy thing was inspired, locking out the front row, which they wouldn't have done if Kimi didn't get the tow was the right thing, they could've controlled the race, it was Seb being silly again.

So let's look at Sebs mistakes. Multiple errors in qualifying in Australia. A really messy quali. Flat spotting his tyres in Bahrain. His lunge on the restart in Azerbaijan, not necessary. His brain fart in France into turn 1. Dawdling round the middle of the track in Austria and nearly collecting Sainz. Sliding off the track in Germany. His poor positioning and spin in Monza. Piss poor qualifying in Singapore... I could go on and on. However, at this point I think it should be clear that the lion's share of the blame must rest on Seb's shoulders. Thing is I think Seb would probably agree with that assessment. In terms of strategic errors made by teams, Mercedes and Ferrari are pretty close, it's just for whatever reason they seemingly didn't hurt Mercedes as much, or were somewhat overshadowed by other issues such as the double DNF in Austria.

(04-12-2018, 11:04 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  However, at this point I think it should be clear that the lion's share of the blame must rest on Seb's shoulders. Thing is I think Seb would probably agree with that assessment. 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette...8/4306104/

I'm not a huge Sebastian fan as most know but to the mans credit he has said as much himself.

http://f1i.com/news/325710-montezemolo-w...title.html

Montezemolo: With Hamilton, Ferrari would have won the title.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(04-12-2018, 01:48 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Montezemolo: With Hamilton, Ferrari would have won the title.

I firmly believe that as well Monte.

Bernie is just rattling cages like he always does:-) I do miss the old scroat!
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

As I said Papa, I knew Vettel would say as much himself, he's a very honest judge of his own abilities.

Also agree with Montezemolo and Morini, I think this year Lewis would have won in the Ferrari, he was that good, and given I think the Ferrari was the all round better car I think the margin would've been bigger.

Also think Bernie is partly playing mischief, but also sticking up for his buddy Vettel. He likes Vettel a lot, he's probably coming to his defence given all the attacks he's taken this year, and in preparation for what might happen next now Leclerc is going to Ferrari.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140893...th-binotto

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/binot...s/4320196/

Binotto to replace Arrivabene as Ferrari F1 team boss.

Maurizio Arrivabene is to be replaced as team principal at Ferrari by its technical chief Mattia Binotto, senior sources have confirmed.

Following months of denials that Ferrari was considering a major management shake-up after another failed attempt to win the Formula 1 world championship, news of the change leaked out on Monday.

Insiders with good knowledge of the situation have revealed that Ferrari president John Elkann has decided that Binotto is the right man to lead Ferrari in 2019.
Although there has been no official announcement, a report in Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport hinted that confirmation could come as early as today.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post