Red Bull choose Honda

Soooo.... Red Bull have finally chosen Honda:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b...46734/amp/

Also, now officially confirmed:

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/articl...power-2019

I have to say it was always likely this was going to happen once Toro Rosso took Honda engines, and Honda basically proved they're out developing Renault in Canada. I think by the start of 2019 Honda might very well have the better PU. The cash injection from Honda might actually make Red Bull the best funded team on the grid.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Good news, Honda will be a decent PU by next year I reckon. Makes DR decision to sign renewal a lot easier as RBR should be contenders again.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Any of you guys think the new/spare parts bin will be very slow to get wheeled down to the RBR garage for the rest of this season now? Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the McLaren Technology Centre, watch out Ferrari & Mercedes, Red Bull Honda are coming, so will this convince Daniel to stay?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(19-06-2018, 02:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  ... so will this convince Daniel to stay?

Difficult one isnt it....could go either way....does he have an option though?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(19-06-2018, 02:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  ... so will this convince Daniel to stay?

Difficult one isnt it....could go either way....does he have an option though?
[/quote] Forza/bloody quotes.... Wink

I really hope so buddy we all know he would improve the silver & red team, plus the added bonus of "a bit of niggle" seeing Daniel in the same car as Sebastian or preferably Lewis would be incredible, sweating just thinking about it Haha, but as you say "does he have an option though?"

I think this is huge for F1, Red Bull Honda will win, first races then Championships, I can feel it in my bones, so maybe this will persuade him to stay? silly season, love it lol.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Reports out of Canada seems to suggest that the Honda ICE is already better than the Renault ICE, and their issues remain with batteries and ERS. If that's the case we already know RBR have considerable expertise in that department.

I think we're now going to see Toro Rosso reduced to being a test team for new Honda power units. Expect some grid penalties as they go searching for performance and reliability. I honestly think by the start of 2019 Honda will be producing a very competitive engine, and Marko already believes the Honda qualifying mode is better than Renault's.

Will Ricciardo stay? I think so now. Hamilton has signed a contract extension at Mercedes that will be announced at the weekend, and Bottas is expected to follow suit. Hearing Ferrari will decide on Räikkönen or Leclerc in the summer break, and it is between those two as Ferrari don't want to block Leclerc's progress to the Scuderia. So Ricciardo has nowhere to go.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/1...d-to-honda

Teds view.

As expected, the Red Bull-Honda deal is for 2019 and 2020, ahead of F1's new engine rules in 2021. But Honda may actually be advantaged by the new rules because they call for a removal of the MGU-H (Honda have never mastered the electricity generator running off the turbo) and a relaxation of the fuel restrictions (recent Honda engines have always been thirsty).

Interesting news. Hope the new combi of Red Bull and Honda will be a third contender for the tittle next year. Both parties seems sympathetic to me, very willing for a fight and challenge.

What comes to my mind now, is for how long did they plan this? Did they really toke this long to decide? Seems like they tied Verstappen and Honda together; both 2019/2020.
Paying the huge new salary of Verstappen with Honda money?
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

https://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-ho...gine-swap/

After 12 years and four World titles, Renault have declared Red Bull’s move to Honda power a “natural evolution.”
Red Bull announced on Tuesday that they would race with Honda engines in 2019, joining Toro Rosso as the Japanese manufacturer’s second team.
It brings to an end a tension-fraught relationship with Renault, who Red Bull blamed for their lack of championship success since the introduction of the V6 engines back in 2014.
Renault released the following statement: “Two years after Renault’s return as a works team, we consider this is a natural evolution for both Renault and Red Bull Racing in view of their respective aspirations.
“We are fully focused on the strong progression of Renault Sport Formula 1 Team, while continuing to foster the fresh relationship with McLaren Racing.”

Meanwhile Honda have welcomed Red Bull’s decision, confident that having two teams on board will assist them in their goal of winning championships.
Honda motor company president and representative director Takahiro Hachigo said: “Having two teams means we can access twice as much data as previously.
“We believe that working with both Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing will allow us to get closer to our goal of winning races and championships, building two strong partnerships.

Who's this last sentence aimed at? Wink

“Discussions proceeded very quickly, thanks to Red Bull’s open and respectful attitude towards Honda, leading to a deal that is fair and equitable for all parties.”