2018 French GP

What a complete COCK I am...agreed (without checking) last week to do a bit of work....turns out the job is Sat night to late Sunday evening....looks like Im missing the gp Sad

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(19-06-2018, 06:52 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  What a complete COCK I am...agreed (without checking) last week to do a bit of work....turns out the job is Sat night to late Sunday evening....looks like Im missing the gp Sad

It could be worse.....it could have been the Moto Gp weekend.

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 1 user Likes pennywise's post

(19-06-2018, 07:33 PM)IanF69 Wrote:  It could be worse.....it could have been the Moto Gp weekend.

Good point buddy, never thought of it that way Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

Firstly Paul Riccard was a great track, and might still be, although they have seemingly reduced the camber and adverse-camber of some of the more famous corners, and that Mickey Mouse chichane on the Mistral straight ruins it for me.

As to who the circuit should favour? It should lean towards the Mercedes concept quite heavily, but then, so too should Canada, and it didn't. If Mercedes aren't the team to beat here then they're in serious trouble for both championships... I happen to think they are now clearly the third best car on race days.

As to the tyre issues, the extra depth on tread this year is causing some cars to overheat the core of the tyres and cause blistering under the surface. The thicker tread plays perfectly with the Ferrari concept, but both RBR and Merc have had struggles with them this year. As have FI, Renault, McLaren and Williams. Notice none of the Ferrari powered teams have had these issues?

As to Magny Course, it was a good circuit, not a classic though, and often led to some processional, if allbeit close races, with these current cars I fear Magny Cours would provide dire racing, particularly S1 and S3 where all the action used to be. Plus it was a right pain in the ass to get to. I wasn't sad to see it go, but given a few classics it threw up I can see why some have fond memories.

[quote="Jody Barton"
As to the tyre issues, the extra depth on tread this year is causing some cars to overheat the core of the tyres and cause blistering under the surface. The thicker tread plays perfectly with the Ferrari concept, but both RBR and Merc have had struggles with them this year. As have FI, Renault, McLaren and Williams. Notice none of the Ferrari powered teams have had these issues?
[/quote]

Hello Jody, I posted this in reply to Neil earlier, can you shed any light on why the new tyres seem to help Mercedes & hinder Ferrari please, in simple terms lol.

"Yup I think a lot of us struggle with the technical side of the sport, your not alone bud, these tyres twist my melon, Ferrari are supposed to look after their tyres better than Mercedes, then in Barcelona Mercedes the tyre shredder seemed to look after it tyres better than Ferrari, dazed & confused at the best of times but this confuses the crap out of me lol."

Also "Plus it was a right pain in the ass to get to. I wasn't sad to see it go, but given a few classics it threw up I can see why some have fond memories."

Haha the little country lanes (at Magny Course) reminded me of trying to get into Silverstone 35yrs ago, 100,000 + trying to get in out madness.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

Understanding tyres is a bit of a black art by all accounts, and I am definitely no expert.... As Jody pointed out thicker tread retains more heat...too much in some cases causing blistering on the outer surface ....Merc has always been temperamental with tyres over the past years and we know the Merc was/is designed/prefers to run out front in clean air and therefore is very aero dependant/less mechanical grip...all those years of Lewis and Nico scampering off into the distance with such a huge advantage (for me anyway) masked a lot of the issues they where carrying on the tyre front, they where not worrying about racing other cars and could better try to manage the tyres/keep in a window. Ferrari on the other hand focuses heavily towards mechanical grip and works the tyre in a different manner/easier to get in the window. When the thinner treaded tyre was introduced in Spain this year it came at a perfect time for Mercedes, ambient temps and a track that suits the Merc not so the Ferrari (add in a more aggressive rear suspension set up) created the result we watched.....so to answer your question Paps.....I have no f*cking idea Wink

The Paul Ricard Formula 1 circuit will feature two DRS zones this weekend for the return of the French Grand Prix.
Although the long straights offer plenty of options for DRS, the FIA has elected to feature one of the start/finish straight and one in the first area of the long back straight.
The back straight zone has a detection point 75 metres before Turn 7 – which is the left hander on to the Mistral Straight. The zone itself has an activation point 170m after the corner.
The second zone has a detection point at Turn 14, which is the penultimate corner, and an activation point 115m after Turn 15.
The FIA will likely further analyse the areas and lengths of these zones once cars are running in France, and changes could be made if the governing feels that the DRS zones do not work well enough or are too effective.
Should more need to be done, then one option would be to fit a third zone after the chicane on the backstraight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Magny Cours is also 'remote' in ways parts of the UK just aren't. There are vast swathes of what the yanks refer too as banjo country in France, and Magny Cours was slap bang in the middle of it. Once queued for four fecking hours to get off one of the many crappy car parks there. Hated it.

I'll try my best with the tyres, I've admitted on these very pages that it's the rubber I know least about. I went in search of answers post Spain and a friend from elsewhere offered the best explanation I've heard. Goes something like this:

1) these Pirelli tyres are constructed a very specific way, with a metal belt core and then layers of rubber like the layers of an onion.
2) This year there are more layers to that onion making the tyres marginally thicker than last year (the thinner tread at Spain was actually last year's depth).
3) Heat is generated in the tyres by frictions on the tyres surface and between the layers and heat from the break discs.
4) Some carsbare therefore causing more friction in the core of the tyres, causing the tyres to retain and build up heat in the core, this is harder to dissipate, and when it does it causes blistering. The problem both Mercedes and Red Bull have had at certain tracks this year.
5) The Ferrari has difficulty generating heat in the thinner tread tyres, but not so this season's thicker tyres. That's where their advantage is coming from.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Forza & Jody, cheers lads, appreciated.   Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(20-06-2018, 10:50 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  1) these Pirelli tyres are constructed a very specific way, with a metal belt core and then layers of rubber like the layers of an onion.
2) This year there are more layers to that onion making the tyres marginally thicker than last year (the thinner tread at Spain was actually last year's depth).
3) Heat is generated in the tyres by frictions on the tyres surface and between the layers and heat from the break discs.
4) Some carsbare therefore causing more friction in the core of the tyres, causing the tyres to retain and build up heat in the core, this is harder to dissipate, and when it does it causes blistering. The problem both Mercedes and Red Bull have had at certain tracks this year.
5) The Ferrari has difficulty generating heat in the thinner tread tyres, but not so this season's thicker tyres. That's where their advantage is coming from.

Nicely explained there Jody however point 5 is more Ferrari can get the thinner tyres up to temp quick enough but could not maintain the heat at a suitable constant, it was like a knife edge for them...heat fell away or went the other extreme and caused too much heat (according to Arrivabene post race statement)

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

It would of been good to hear from other teams how they would of fared in Spain with the regular tyre depth. Vettel said Ferrari would of been worse off, after doing a direct comparison. True/false/mind games, who really knows.

Alot of long sweeping sustained med-high speed corners, demanding traction, at PR as at Catalunya. I see a Spain repeat.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.