2018 Canadian GP

I'll be impressed if Mercedes are truly competitive here with an engine that has done 6 full race weekends, at a power hungry circuit, when their rivals bring brand spanking new donkeys. Be interesting to find out what the QA issue was, but we'll never know. Could also cause issues further down the line, PU1 from here on out was expected to do FP1 and FP2 running at the remaining races to keep mileage off of PU2 & PU3. I'm sure they'll take it in their stride, but it is asking a hell of a lot of their engines to do a full Canadian GP weekend too.

Just my thoughts
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

hehe, I was going to ask if anyone has heard what the delay issue is. Merc teams may way off the pace during practices, as they are probably going to turn down more than usual. But then again, as you say practice engines still have a long way to go.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

A team spokesman said: “Although we had hoped to introduce PU2 this weekend, a quality issue means that this has now been delayed by one race.
“So all Mercedes-powered cars will be running PU1 for this weekend, too, before receiving new units in France.”

Pretty much all I could find for now.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

It could actually prove to be an advantage. Not at this race, obviously, but assuming Merc engined teams make it through this race reliability wise, then every event they can use pu1bin practice is a bonus. Will mean fresher units at the last events. That may be a big help.

We know Canada is a power circuit, but it is also somewhere the driver can make a difference. Also, pole not the end of the world here.

If I were Mercedes I would be more worried about tyres than power unit.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(07-06-2018, 07:28 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'll be impressed if Mercedes are truly competitive here with an engine that has done 6 full race weekends, at a power hungry circuit, when their rivals bring brand spanking new donkeys. Be interesting to find out what the QA issue was, but we'll never know. Could also cause issues further down the line, PU1 from here on out was expected to do FP1 and FP2 running at the remaining races to keep mileage off of PU2 & PU3. I'm sure they'll take it in their stride, but it is asking a hell of a lot of their engines to do a full Canadian GP weekend too.

Just my thoughts

I cannot see that Mercedes engine living with the Ferrari's at Canada. I think it was going to be close before now I think the tables have tilted in Ferrari especially Vettels direction.  I wonder if the works team now see this as a damage limitation weekend the last thing they need to see is an engine blow up. Would I be right in assuming this engine has done all the practices and qualifying up to now?
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

Now the Renault engine update is said to be 20bhp, which in Canada equates to 0.5s. Bit better news Fog ? : )

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(07-06-2018, 07:13 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Now the Renault engine update is said to be 20bhp, which in Canada equates to 0.5s. Bit better news Fog ? : )

much better, thanks, any chance, Renault works team are getting some aero and chasis bits from RBR, if they decide to give them the new engine? lol Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

NeilP those are my thoughts, I think Canada will be damage limitation for Mercedes. These PUs have done all sessions so far, so in mileage terms they'll possibly be down by as much as 100bhp. You can't really compete around Canada if you're giving that away.

They'll need to nurse the engines as well because they won't want their PU2 doing any FP1 or FP2 sessions before time. So Merc are diffinitely on the back foot, and there's no guarantee they'll have the upgrade by France. Yeah sure, they're saying they'll be ready in France but they said the same about Montreal.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Any more news on whether RedBull are getting the upgraded Renault this weekend?

(07-06-2018, 08:54 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  NeilP those are my thoughts, I think Canada will be damage limitation for Mercedes. These PUs have done all sessions so far, so in mileage terms they'll possibly be down by as much as 100bhp. You can't really compete around Canada if you're giving that away.

They'll need to nurse the engines as well because  they won't want their PU2 doing any FP1 or FP2 sessions before time. So Merc are diffinitely on the back foot, and there's no guarantee they'll have the upgrade by France. Yeah sure, they're saying they'll be ready in France but they said the same about Montreal.

I don't really buy any of that Jody, particularly the 100bhp down bit. It won't be anywhere near that. Also I don't think not being able to use PU1 in practise sessions matters at all, they have to spread all the miles across 3 units at the end of the day (same for all teams) and all 3 units will do a similar workload by end of season.

Pole may be impossible for them tomorrow, but I still wouldn't rule them out for a race win. Particularly with Hamilton motivated to make history.

We will see who's right come Sunday night.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post