2018 Canadian GP

[quote="Purple-banana" pid='4964' dateline='1528706763']
It just goes to show that when he is out front in clean air he is untouchable, but when he has to get his hands dirty it's another story.

Hi PB, I might be wrong as it was an evening race & I had a few beers, did any of the top 6 make an on track overtake? cant remember properly but thought not, seem to remember all the drivers saying how hard it is to follow, also I thought Lewis was having cooling problems, hence his early pit stop, I gave your post a thumbs up in SKY forum, re Lewis & his mind set/head space, when he's down so are his performances, sadly for us Lewis fans. Smile

Dominant performance from Sebastian & Ferrari, made it look easy, a good job well done, Valterri deserves a pat on the back, not easy to beat Lewis in Canada & he was pure class, happy for Max, had all my fingers crossed at the start but great driving from Max & Valterri, the most exciting bit of the race, went down hill from there, if these cars cant over take in Canada I don't hold much hope for some of the upcoming races, so it looks like Saturdays will become even more important this year, hoping for more entertaining triple header races, also hoping Lewis gets laid & sorts his head out before we get to France.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Not even an official race classification released yet. They really dont care anymore. Still nothing.

[Image: DfrLHh9XkAA4ooV.jpg]

[Image: DfZ-fIDU0AAdKpx.jpg]
Ill add lap charts and any other informative graphics here when they pop up on twitter.

Cant blame regs for that show can we, it was the fact all the top team were so close on pace. Coupled with engine nursing and survival tyres, it was what it was, and this season isnt going to get better.
Would've Merc's new engine of helped? I'm not so sure, but thats only based on what I've read rumour wise, and thats the new Merc engine is only worth 0.1s. That wouldn't help their issues on the Hyper tyre, in Q3.
Raikkonen, indeed did not have the new PU, only a new TC.
Potentially another Ferrari strategy error with Raikkonen, by not pitting him a couple of laps early when he could of jumped Lewis.
Ericsson nearly the whole race on one set of tyres. Didnt help him come close to Leclerc, who again shined, especially against Alonso, such a shame he had to retire, but McLarens race was a horror show. Improved top speed but reduced lap times, the chassis and aero package is not making the leaps it ought to be.
TR and Gasly a solid result again. Shame about Hartley also, he was having a good, almost seat saving weekend.
We give Stroll a deserved bashing, but that Williams lets him get the best starts on the grid.

What I found intriguing was that Mercedes were allowed to open cooling on Lewis's car, effectively changing its spec without change to track conditions I.E. wet-dry. I didn't think that was allowed?

Completely agree PB- this weekend was a new low for F1, and its getting worse.
  • More focus on Celebs and other worthless people to the sport, who when given an overpriviledge it gets fu*ked up. Organisers have become equally as worthless.
  • Sky commentary was a complete abortion this weekend. They seemed completely clueless about every aspect that was playing out. Qualifying Q2 runs, RAI to VET race pace, explaining the sport to the none existent new fans. It was amateur at best from those so heavily involved in the sport.
  • Sports general presentation was nearly unwatchable, I said I had reached my limit early in this thread. Nothing happened to alleviate that. 
  • Those stars were really confusing, they had no purpose. such a waste of money.

Hilarious RIC finds out the checkered flag balls up removes his fastest lap, and hands it to VES xD
https://twitter.com/Secteur_F1/status/10...0475193344

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(10-06-2018, 03:44 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Ripped from elsewhere, some are saying phonometric data is a bit worthless with these complex engines but a nice bit of info, that coule be ball park

"https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/anali ... a/3119544/

Phonometric measurement: Bottas had 12 hp more than Hamilton, Vettel very near to Hamilton but still a little less, Renault engine missing 27 hp to Bottas. Honda to Bottas 50 and more hp.

Don't know how much is it realiable, but still worth mentioning"

Only just realised there was a link in here Hesh (quite a few `refreshments` over the weekend)....very interesting indeed, we often hear various comments from teams regarding this type of data most recently the Merc claims over Ferrari battery/power output (this being how Merc apparently `knew` Ferrari where extracting more from the pu at various times throughout weekend...nothing to do with Sassi of course) so I would imagine the figures are in the ball park so to speak.  If these figures are indeed accurate this says quite a bit on just how good the Merc donkey really is (am I reading this right?)...6 races in and still fractionally up on the newer upgraded Ferrari unit???

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(11-06-2018, 12:41 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  ... did any of the top 6 make an on track overtake? 
I think Ricciardo on Raikkonen during turns 1,2 & 3 on the first lap was the only one that springs to my mind.
I'm not saying I'd expect Hamilton to be carving through the field and challenging Seb for the lead, but (yet again) he just didn't seem interested. Apart from a handful of laps towards the end of the race, he never really troubled Danny.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

(11-06-2018, 09:46 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Naturally, I enjoyed the result (Although I can't imagine it's done my dream team any good), but another damp squib of a race.

Question: Did Raikkonen run the new Ferrari PU? Or has his Spanish GP failure put him out of sync with Seb? Either way, a poor showing from him. I like him as a personality, but he is well overdue retirement now, and I was somewhat surprised and disappointed that MB mentioned in commentary he seems to think Kimi will still be racing next year! It's getting to the point now where he isn't racing as much as hogging a competitive seat.

More moaning and snippy radio calls from Lewis during the race and some poor choices of comments made since. (Did he not learn his lesson after "wiping the smile off Seb's face" in Aussie qualifying?) It just goes to show that when he is out front in clean air he is untouchable, but when he has to get his hands dirty it's another story. How much of that was due to a performance deficit and how much was Lewis having a trademark bad weekend? We'll never know. What we do know is he was comprehensively shown up by Bottas this weekend, and supposedly at one of Lewis' strongest tracks.

I feel sorry for Hartley, not only did he get punished for having a go at making a pass at an unconventional location (for that he should be applauded), but he was then stuck with Lance Stroll for 20 mins while transport back to the paddock was sorted. Poor lad.

Winners:
- Vettel making the most of the opportunity to claw back the championship deficit
- Red Bull scoring some good points and avoiding penalties on Daniel's car

Losers:
- Sky, Crofty broadcasting to the world that he used to be a bully at school
- Sky, Brundle spending most of the race explaining that they have to cater for a wide audience and translating 'marbles' for american viewers
- Liberty Media for super-imposing CGI Heinekken stars all around the track
- Liberty Media for the epic own-goal of taking models away from doing a job they were good at - grid girls, and giving them a job they definitely aren't good at - waving a flag.
As a Lewis fan (Sorry Banana Smile ) It was a hugely disappointing weekend. As regards your comment about the car or him I feel it was both but with more on the Lewis is peed off mode than the car. I never thought they would get close to Vettel this weekend that upgrade on the Ferrari and lack of upgrade to the Mercedes just about finished any realistic chance they had.

These cars are so close that qualifying is pretty much dictating the race sunless safety cars or crashes happen. Both Vettel and Hamilton have had their fair share of bad luck this season but in truth Vettel has been the better driver in my opinion, far more consistent. I think Bottas finished ahead because of Lewis's mistakes in Qualifying (He actually locked up three times in the same corner) and because his car has not performing the same as Bottas car was.

If Hamilton is to get into this season I feel the next three races are where he has to shine but I cannot help but feel this is Vettels and Ferrari's year
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(11-06-2018, 09:48 PM)NeilP Wrote:  If Hamilton is to get into this season I feel the next three races are where he has to shine but I cannot help but feel this is Vettels and Ferrari's year

I hope you're right (That its Vettel's & Ferrari's year)  Tongue

But from what I can gather, Paul Ricard is expected to be a Merc-favoured track, plus some fresh & upgraded PUs, tyres they went well on in Barca and perhaps most importantly - Lewis having given his head a wobble, my money is on Mercedes dominance and Lewis re-taking the championship lead.

Although I'd love nothing more than to be proved wrong lol

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

Mercedes says that Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton ran their power units as hard in the Canadian Grand Prix as they did at the start of their seven-race cycle back in Australia, despite obvious concerns over reliability.
Mercedes was the only manufacturer to have run the same engines in its works and customer cars for the whole of 2018 thus far, after plans for the introduction of an upgrade for Canada were postponed due to reliability issues on the dyno.
That meant that the engines had to do their seventh race in Montreal – a track where power counts and engines have to work hard – when the original intention was to bring them back for Hungary, where they would be less stressed.
However, chief strategist James Vowles says that made no difference to how hard the drivers were able to push them.
“The engine itself, [across] 21 races, just split it in three and each one has to do seven races, near enough,” Vowles said in a Mercedes video clip. “All six power units, that’s across Force India, Williams and ourselves, made it to the end of that sequence without any significant issues. So we’re a third of the way through that season on the first power unit, and that in itself is an incredible achievement. “In terms of what happened in the race with Valtteri and Lewis, both of them drove the power unit as they did in the first race, there was no additional management, no additional switches, or modes or turn-downs, we were effectively using the power unit to its full benefit.
“What happened with Lewis was an entirely unrelated chassis cooling event, nothing to do with the engine itself. And you saw with Valtteri he was able to use it with good effect, second in qualifying and maintaining that second in the race.”

Hamilton’s cooling concerns
Vowles says Hamilton did a good job of dealing with soaring temperatures in the opening stint.
“We had on the chassis side a cooling issue that appeared very, very early on in the race, it appeared during the safety car,” he admitted. “And what it meant was the power unit was becoming very, very warm.
“We tried a number of counter measures, both through switch changes that Lewis was able to complete for us, and through driving style, so Lewis was really adapting to the situation as best he could, to stabilise and keep the temperatures under control. “He was around two seconds behind Max [Verstappen], he wasn’t tucked up behind him. We were getting a reasonable amount of clean air into the radiators.

“Lewis did a good job, and we were able to get somewhere reasonable in the first stint of the race, but we were still too warm.”

Vowles says that the change made in the pits – which saw two mechanics adjust the cooling inlet louvres on either side of the cockpit – worked perfectly.
“During the first pitstop we came in and we made an adjustment to try to alleviate and relieve the situation as much as possible,”he added. “We knew that we had various elements in our cooling configuration that are removable. During a pit stop we can make a change. There are two losses here, the first is that during a pit stop itself you’re asking the guys to do a fairly complex job in a short space of time. Remember, the pit stop really only lasts around 2.0-2.2s.
“The second is that the car, as it goes back on track again, is in a slightly different aerodynamic configuration, simply because panels that were there have been removed. “The pitstop itself, how much slower was it? Actually the effect was largely negligible. It was a few milliseconds, and up to a tenth really. The guys did a fantastic job, and by the time the guns came back on to put the wheels back on again they were removing their hands from the car.
“How much slower was the car out on track? The reality behind that was it was a matter of a few milliseconds from what we did with the cooling change, but more importantly, it gave us the ability to use more of the power unit performance and gave Lewis a car that now wasn’t struggling like it was in first stint of the race, so he could now go back and attack others. And that performance benefit outweighs anything that happened on the cooling side.
“As Lewis went back out it was a little bit more comfortable, and you saw later on in the race he was able to bring the fight to [Daniel] Ricciardo. Just unfortunately the damage was done far too early in terms of his race performance, which just meant fifth was all we could get from him on the day.”

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Has Merc have done opened a can of monkey frogs. Will we see other team changing their cars for "cooling purposes" during pitstops, really just changing the body config of the car for aero purpose.

(13-06-2018, 09:45 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Has Merc have done opened a can of monkey frogs. Will we see other team changing their cars for "cooling purposes" during pitstops, really just changing the body config of the car for aero purpose.

You talking about during the pitstops Hesh? They can't do all that much in a few seconds.

Vettel was right, the World Cup is making F1 look all the more dull. Thats what he meant right ? : P
I really dont follow football at all, if anything I hate it, but I havent missed a minute of the World Cup yet. Loving it, tonight POR vs ESP was such a treat to watch.

PS. Yeah during pitstops Forza. I think Merc showed it can be done in the seconds, how, I have no idea.

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post