McLaren: Fresh investment

Good to see he's been able to start his job at McLaren.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Petrobras is seeking to end its partnership with the McLaren Formula 1 team at the request of Brazil's national government, the country's new president has claimed.

McLaren announced a new technology tie-up with Petrobras at the start of 2018, to begin from 2019.
As well as branding on the car, the Brazilian company is responsible for developing fuel and lubricants for McLaren to use.

McLaren was using Petrobras transmission lubricant at the start of the 2019 and indicated other products would be ready “soon”.

Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro has claimed that on his order, Petrobras – which is 64% owned by the government through direct and indirect means – will seek to end the deal.

He claimed that Petrobras’s five-year deal with McLaren was worth 782million Brazilian Real, which today is worth roughly £150m.

“In 2018 Petrobras signed an advertising contract of R$782m with McLaren, valid for five years,” Bolsonaro tweeted from his official account.

“At the moment, the company, by decision of my government, seeks a way to terminate the contract.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Good luck with that, unless there's a break clause (highly unlikely given it's a technical partnership too) that's going to lead to a hefty contract buyout. Bolsonaro is a fucking idiot.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Pat Fry, who worked as engineering director on McLaren’s current MCL34 chassis, is to leave the team.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/02/mcla...eave-team/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

It was always likely that Fry was a short term appointment, buy I'd have thought they'd have kept him on for a little while longer given his obvious success, at least have a proper transition period.

One of the worst kept secrets is officially out...McLaren has confirmed it will retain both of its current Formula 1 drivers, Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, for the 2020 season.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Which firmly closes the door on an Alonso return to F1. Maybe Red Bull will take a gamble on him ..LOL
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Latest rumours are RBR want Vettel back. Don't think that'd end well at all. However, McLaren retaining Sainz and Norris is the prudent thing to do. McLaren's steady progress is really impressive this season. I hope it continues.

(13-07-2019, 06:11 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Latest rumours are RBR want Vettel back. Don't think that'd end well at all. However, McLaren retaining Sainz and Norris is the prudent thing to do. McLaren's steady progress is really impressive this season. I hope it continues.

Kind of begs the question..... why? Daniel beat Sebastian, Max beat Daniel, as you say Jody & I agree " Don't think that'd end well at all"

Yes well pleased McLaren seem to be doing so well, all we need now is the red & white Marlboro livery back. Wink

McLaren poised for Mercedes engine switch in 2021. (Motorsport)

McLaren is poised for a switch to Mercedes engines in 2021, sources have revealed, as the Woking-based outfit pushes on with its bid to return to winning ways.

Although the team has made good progress following its switch from Honda to Renault engines last year, it is understood that the choice of power unit after its current contract expires in 2020 has been part of the evaluation undertaken by new team principal Andreas Seidl.

It has already announced ambitious plans to build its own wind tunnel at Woking and, aware that the new rules from 2021 offer it a great chance to get back in the mix at the front of the field, its engine options have been closely looked at.

Motorsport.com understands that its favoured route has been to secure a customer supply with Mercedes. It has been suggested that talks are now at an advanced stage and a deal could be close.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post