F1 2018 tyres

(12-05-2018, 08:26 PM)morini Wrote:  A very valid point. But, again, it's the same for all teams.

The thing that bothers me about the "conspiracy theorists" is that they think the decisions are made for the benefit of a particular team. 

Not for a min do I think there is anything behind it, I think it was actually you I said to earlier in the week I expected Merc to be back up and challenging for the win anyway.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(12-05-2018, 08:32 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Not for a min do I think there is anything behind it, I think it was actually you I said to earlier in the week I expected Merc to be back up and challenging for the win anyway.

Don't know, I have a feeling in my gut that says RBR could win this tomorrow.

Of course, Ferrari and Merc were not showing their true potential on Friday, but Red Bull have a superb race trim car. Please don't let Max do anything stupid tomorrow! The fucker is still in my team and has cost me a shit load of points in the fantasy league so far! One more disaster and I will have to give up on being lazy and sack him for real. Come on Maxie, redeem yourself!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

The point I was making is that the tread depth here in Barcelona is what Pirelli initially said the tyre tread depth would be at all circuits in 2018. They increased the tread depth by 0.4mm at the end of 2017 for the 2018 tyres, after Abu Dhabi I believe. So Mercedes expected the tyres this season to be like they are here. Simply put I'm asking is this their problem this season? Is this why their car is struggling with the tyres.

I honestly believe Pirelli made the decision because of genuine concerns over blistering. The FIA technical delegation first raised the issue after the second pre-season test. Yeah, so did Mercedes, Renault, Red Bull and Haas. There was wicked blistering in that second week, I think we all mentioned it.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(12-05-2018, 08:58 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  The point I was making is that the tread depth here in Barcelona is what Pirelli initially said the tyre tread depth would be at all circuits in 2018. They increased the tread depth by 0.4mm at the end of 2018. So Mercedes expected the tyres this season to be like they are here. Simply put I'm asking is this their problem this season? Is this why their car is struggling with the tyres.

I honestly believe Pirelli made the decision because of genuine concerns over blistering. The FIA technical delegation first raised the issue after the second pre-season test. Yeah, so did Mercedes, Renault, Red Bull and Haas. There was wicked blistering in that second week, I think we all mentioned it.

I dont doubt you for a minute bud but where did you hear/read the tread depth was increased by 0.4 for 2018?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

It was part of technical amendments issued by the FIA in December 2017 for the 2018 season. It was first noted by Autosport, they reported it as the tyres being heavier I believe, then it was clarified why, the tread depth increase. I can try and find the link, but it's probably behind a pay wall now.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(12-05-2018, 09:06 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  It was part of technical amendments issued by the FIA in December 2017 for the 2018 season. It was first noted by Autosport, they reported it as the tyres being heavier I believe, then it was clarified why, the tread depth increase. I can try and find the link, but it's probably behind a pay wall now.

Ah, no worries...it was just I thought I had read up on the specs but didnt recall reading that...maybe had one too many while reading it Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I'm reading on twitter that people are hearing rumours that Spa and Suzuka will get the tread reduction treatment aswell.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

(13-05-2018, 12:21 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  I'm reading on twitter that people are hearing rumours that Spa and Suzuka will get the tread reduction treatment aswell.

Have they given a reason for this as those tracks have not been resurfaced?

Couldn't say, I think it's just rumours with no substance. If true, Pirelli will announce reasons. It could be a load of bolloxs! Funny how its more Merc favourite tracks : P

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

The thing that gets me scratching my head on this whole tyre tread change debacle is there where complaints about blistering during/following the test here a few months ago, but surely a lot of this blistering would have came about due to the extreme cold ambient and track temps at the time would it not?

edit: Referring to the 0.4 reduction... We tested the solution last year, although not in similar conditions, and in terms of performance or other consequences, they are almost transparent said Isola