Is Leclerc doing enough?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/crazy...c-1032097/

"Charles Leclerc says it felt "crazy" to be battling Fernando Alonso and keeping pace with drivers from leading Formula 1 teams Red Bull and Ferrari en route to his sixth-place finish in Baku."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

As I highlighted, from Friday Saubers looked genuinely quick. Leclerc pace kept him amongst the midfield from the beginning. Performance numbers were sound and both parties would of been over joyed, even if they hadn't of gifted a few places from others retiring.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Its good to see new drivers doing well, he was totally dominant in F2 last year. I know some think its possible he will be in the Ferrari main team next year but I do not think so. I envision him at Sauber for at least this year and maybe another 2/3 years before that becomes a reality.

The Ferrari second seat for 2019 is going to become a very hot topic in the coming months I feel.
[+] 5 users Like NeilP's post

(04-05-2018, 01:47 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Its good to see new drivers doing well, he was totally dominant in F2 last year. I know some think its possible he will be in the Ferrari main team next year but I do not think so. I envision him at Sauber for at least this year and maybe another 2/3 years before that becomes a reality.

The Ferrari second seat for 2019 is going to become a very hot topic in the coming months I feel.

Which is a bit of a shame really as I think it would be nice to see the young talent driving the best cars, bit like the early 2000s when Alonso, Raikkonen, got a lucky break well they obviously showed their talent to get their seats. Anyway its a bit of a double edged sword isn't it you have great drivers like LH Alonso etc who really are standout drivers, yet the new boys cannot get the seats and some pass through the system, I fancy SVD to fall through although you can bet given the car he will be a major force arrrrrgh its a nightmare
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

I found this an interesting interview.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecle...3-1033025/

More tracks will give a clearer picture if this new approach to car setup is working, or whether it was just a Baku specific setup requirement (it sure is in the game : P ). When you look at the first three races, his "mistakes" were mainly all over-steer events. Its a good sign, willingness to adapt, change approach, to start extracting car and driver potential.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Leclerc is doing enough, he's really starting to shine, was brilliant this afternoon all race. Great car control as well. A few more races like this and maybe Ferrari might decide to give him a 2019 seat after all. There's a lot he could learn from Seb, no question about it. But are Ferrari the sort of team to take a punt on a youngster? Probably not. Would love to see Giovinazzi replace Ericsson halfway through the season too.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yes he is doing great i think it would be so refreshing to see a youngster in the Scarlet Red car. It may also show what a youngster can do in a very strong car. Its been a while hasnt it generally
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

Yep, it has been a while. I'd love for Leclerc to continue to get to grips with F1 and get the Ferrari drive, I'd also like to see Ocon in the Mercedes, but that would require Mercedes chop Bottas, as I just can't see them getting shot of Hamilton.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(13-05-2018, 07:30 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Yep, it has been a while. I'd love for Leclerc to continue to get to grips with F1 and get the Ferrari drive, I'd also like to see Ocon in the Mercedes, but that would require Mercedes chop Bottas, as I just can't see them getting shot of Hamilton.

As you know, I am an Ocon fan. But I think he's gone off the boil a little lately. Sergio (who never really caught my attention) has looked the stronger FI driver overall.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Ocon has actually out qualified and raced Perez so far this season. Only blot on his copy book was the coming together with Kimi in Baku, which I still pin more on Ocon, although it's a lap 1 racing incident. Then here in Spain he was going really well and the engine gave out. not really his fault. Checo is a good driver, and Ocon is starting to look like he's on top of what is now a seriously seasoned professional F1 driver. Sure, it's a mental test for Ocon right now, but I have a sneaky feeling he'll rise to it and come back stronger. I'll wager he's back in the points and ahead of Perez soon again. Still, Bottas is driving well for Mercedes right now, so would you drop him? Probably not, anoter single season contract though? That'd be harsh on Bottas. I think Lewis will be their long term too.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post