2018 Chinese GP

Was about to post something about the weather, but no source matches. Was hoping FP1 was gonna be dry now, FP2 look certainly wet, FP3 might also be wet. Qualy and race dry.

I'm liking these videos, Will seems a good host, has a lot of enthusiasm and insightful enough.
Sainz comments were quite interesting.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/chine...t-1025388/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Nice forza.

Have McLaren added an little aerofoil nubbin to the outside of their sidepod. In Bahrain they ran some orange flowviz on the side pods (I think they were trying to be sneaky, I thought it was heat ripple damage at first)
I wonder if that is a result, to try and clean it up a bit because the flowviz did look a little uncontrolled. But, it could of alwasy been there, just haven't noticed and I'm talkin none-sense : D

Force India following McLarens suit with additional winglets mounted on the rear crash structure above the diffuser.

[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Hesh the little 'nubbin' as you call it was on Stoffel's car in FP1 in Bahrain, then Alonso ran it FP2 and for the rest of the weekend I believe. The 6 turning veins / vortex generators look 'changed' to my untrained eye. Not that it seems to have helped them. On a track I expected the McLaren to go well at, certainly the second sector, Toro Rosso and Gasly are ahead of McLaren and Alonso, not by much, but Gasly didn't have a clean lap. Hartley was ahead of Vandorne as well. If that continues throughout the weekend, and considering the next track up is Baku, I think there'll be big changes of staff at McLaren before long.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Thanks Jody, I really didn't pay much attention to car details in Bahrain, glad you cleared that up. The flowviz I saw is easily understandable when you say they changed the top of the side pod turning vanes. Which really should be leaving the car soon, surely they are part of the huge drag that car has. They need to dial some it out: Like there rear wing, there are so many appendages on it that scream drag.

Practice wise, what we thinking? thank the skies we have something to think about, completely dry day, perfect.
  • It's nice and close, thats what we like. However, for the important sessions to be close, Ferrari need to be ahead on Fridays.
  • Ferrari powered cars looking comfortable in the speed traps figures, topping outright ans sectors. Which begs one question, do they now have the greater raw power output? They have gone through a big change which is an assumption based purely on what we are physical seeing out the back of the cars.
  • -Mercedes seemed very interested in Bahrain practice, when they voiced to the media that they had analysed Ferrari engine acoustics and stated they were on a higher engine mode. But at the time I queried why would they? they have never in the past, and season is all about wear, why waste it in practices. maybe Maranello made the right choice ridding Matiz (lol, what was his name Jody?) I said maybe they have found someone better, maybe we are seeing it.....
  • RedBull are close, but not maybe not enough to break top 4. I though they may be owning sector 2, but I knew it was going to be Merc in there.
  • Qualy runs, the Merc had no tyres left for any of sector 3, perhaps confirming they are really over heating and it's a 2013esqu rear limited car, but Bottas had the purple final sector, after a slow first sector. Maybe just all about picking your fight, which corners gain you the most time.
  • On track Ferrari look more stable, Merc a little twitchy on exit, Redbull twitchy on direction change.
  • Long run, equal match between Merc and RB. Ferrari results perhaps a little skewed for comparison, but perhaps ahead of the two or equal also. After doing a leap from the lions head(Indy Jones:Last Crusade ref) with the soft tyres last race, I'm wondering the wealth of information they gathered due to it. With this track being a tyre churner, that the Ferrari just serenades their tyres, will they be most comfortable.
Midfield, it's so close one could be here all night.
Mag, loving his Haas, with Ferraris top speeds, going well.
Renault engines coming alive, filling two of the top 3 speed trap figure.
Renault team, both drivers going well, Hulk running a comfortable 0.2-3s advantage to Sainz so far this season. 
McL, TR, Fi impossible to seperate. if we go by previous McLaren will fall back in the qually pecking order, they just dont improve on Saturday. So a TR and an Fi in Q3.
Sauber, Williams, not too far away. That Willimas handling though, it's problems shone during practice.

Pirelli says there is 0.7s gap between the Ultrasoft & the Soft tyre and another 0.9s gap between the Soft & the Medium tyre compound (total 1.6s between Ultrasoft & Medium). No Supersoft in China.

[Image: Dao-6_UW4AAwGha.jpg]

[Image: DarA9vtXkAEYDX8.jpg]

[Image: DaqOkHPX0AcXykA.jpg]

[Image: Dap0GOUXcAErIBL.jpg]

Theoretical best laps.
[Image: DapvqpzXkAE4CRD.jpg]

Might explain Renault speed traps.....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renau...e-1025524/

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

These Friday sessions have been pretty weird. Firstly neither Lewis nor Seb put in any clean fast laps. You string Lewis' best sector times together on the Ultras and he has a spare 0.7 in hand, and Seb 0.5. Kimi and Bottas actually put together their best laps. So that's weird, and something to bear in mind.

The long runs / average lap times were interesting. Lewis definitely was able to make those Ultras last longer than the other teams, yet he seemingly has more than enough pace on the Softs to get into Q3. No one else does. So 0.1 average off of RBR on the Ultras, but going 5 laps longer, with no massive drop off. He then switched to the softs where he was up on everyone, but then he had less laps on them.

The next best race simulation? Vettel, then Max and Kimi very close, then Danny, then Bottas. Magnussen, Gasly and Sainz were the next best, Sainz and Magnussen looked really good. Tomorrow will be an interesting pole fight. Looking forward too it. The race could be fascinating based on the race Sims, because if Bottas and Danny Ricciardo get bad starts and get jumped by Magnussen or Sainz they might struggle to get past them.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/chine...e-1025845/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Pleasantly surprised with that!!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

It is Sebastian Vettels WDC. That Ferrari is absolutely mega.Storming performance from both Ferrari drivers. Perhaps Mercedes need to look at supporting Bottas.

I hope you’re right Jody, I just can’t see it yet. Merc have dominated the last 4 years, The cynic in me is just waiting for the tables to turn back and normal service is resumed.

But hopefully the cynic is wrong!

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post