F1 "Future Vision" plans

Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei has blamed Bernie Ecclestone for creating some of the problems that Formula 1’s new owners are facing as they attempt to renew race contracts.

Over the past two years the new management has successfully renewed deals of several races, with Azerbaijan the latest to agree to a contract extension

However, the contracts of the German, Spanish, Italian, Mexican and British GPs are all coming to an end, and no renewals have been agreed as of yet.

In addition to the inevitable differences of opinion over fees, Mexico and Spain both have issues with the public funding that has hitherto supported the races.

Maffei said that former F1 boss Ecclestone had not helped matters by suggesting that races were paying too much under the very deals that he originally put together.

“And we got a lot of blow back, partly because we’re public now and they can see the prices, and also partly because Bernie suggested to a lot of them that they were overpaying. That didn’t help the cause.

“Bernie had done a very good job, arguably too good a job, and had drained the promoters,”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Surely they are not pointing figures due to short comings : p

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

A new technical show on Sky F1...
Sky F1's @tedkravitz will host the F1 Midweek Debrief, each Wednesday of the 2019 season
Rob Smedley will join Ted for the first show on March 20 at 6pm (repeated at 7.30pm) on Sky Sports F1!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Former Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali will be part of Channel 4’s Formula 1 team for the upcoming 2019 season, the broadcaster has announced.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019/...s-f1-team/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Zandvoort's municipal council has announced plans to invest €4million to bring a Formula 1 race to the Dutch town.

Liberty Media has confirmed that a Dutch Grand Prix could be on the cards, as F1's owners look to capitalise on the booming popularity of Max Verstappen in his homeland.

With Liberty keen to cash in on what Chase Carey has already called the "Max Factor", Zandvoort has been earmarked as the top candidate to host the return of the Dutch GP, which last featured on the F1 calendar in 1985.

While Zandvoort is seen as a more suitable venue, a lack of cash behind the bid had threatened to derail the project, however, the town council believes the arrival of F1 to the coast could provide economic and sporting opportunities.

The cash put forward by Zandvoort's council is expected to be paid across a four-year period to 2022 and will be earmarked for improving infrastructure around the circuit.

It is believed that the figure still falls short of the sums needed to secure a future for the race ahead of a March 31 deadline put in place by Liberty, meaning sponsorship is still needed, but the council hopes taking the first step will push this through.

Councillor Ellen Verheij said of the plans: "We are happy to invest in the return of Formula 1 to the most beautiful circuit in the Netherlands.

"We are proud of Formula 1 and Circuit Park Zandvoort and are prepared to stick our neck out for that."

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Not convinced. New car parks and a track resurface do not an F1 track out of Zandvoort make. Not good enough a circuit for modern F1 cars in my opinion, needs a lot of alterations.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I loved the place.

(22-03-2019, 10:38 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Not convinced. New car parks and a track resurface do not an F1 track out of Zandvoort make. Not good enough a circuit for modern F1 cars in my opinion, needs a lot of alterations.

Totally agree Jody. I recall a similar conversation we've had on here before when Zand was initially investigated. Racing line is far too narrow for too much of the lap. The only positive is the couple of banked corners.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

Papa, it might have been good once, and is probably quite good for bikes, but for F1 cars, especially as wide as they are now? Hell no. Sorry it'd need massive amounts of work, and I not sure they have the land.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Liberty seems to be pushing hard for a track in The Netherlands because of Verstappen and Zandvoort would be great because of history, but it is just not suitable anymore for modern F1.
I like the track a lot, but those F1 cars need more space nowadays. They need wider corners. Otherwise, we get another "Monaco" wich is beautiful as a view and history, but produces the most boring races you can think of. They have the space to adjust it, but I'm not sure if it will be the same track after that.
And even if they adjust the track, you still have a problem with the surrounding infrastructure.

I'm a little bit worried that they regard the racing not as the most important factor when choosing a track. Assen in The Netherlands would like to host the F1 as well and has better papers when it comes to this modern era F1 racing, but is missing the "flair" of Zandvoort and seems not even regarded by Liberty.
[+] 4 users Like Antilochos's post