F1 "Future Vision" plans

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141561...vers-kings

Pirelli's former Formula 1 boss Paul Hembery says the championship should consider a future with 1500bhp cars that he says would make the drivers proper heroes again.

"What really needs to happen is that the drivers need to become the kings of the sport," Hembery told Autosport.
"They need to become the superstars because people today are very much personality focused.

"We often talk about exciting racing when there has been rain or safety car with 10 laps to go and that is a message.
"We need unpredictability, or the concentration of vehicles when there is a safety car allowing people to race flat out. That is where the work needs to be."

Asked what his vision for F1 would be if he started from a blank sheet of paper, Hembery said: "It would be simplified in the sense that power is relatively cheap to get and provides a greater challenge for the drivers. So why not have 1500bhp engines?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

1500bhp engines solves nothing. It's a meaningless number. So I disagree massively. Unrestrict fuel flow, let them carry as much fuel as they like, unrestricted use of batteries and deplyment, throw in ground effect and active suspension and you'll see close racing. I'm even willing to see refueling discussed again, but only after the other things are sorted out first.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(17-02-2019, 04:23 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  1500bhp engines solves nothing. It's a meaningless number. So I disagree massively. Unrestrict fuel flow, let them carry as much fuel as they like, unrestricted use of batteries and deplyment, throw in ground effect and active suspension and you'll see close racing. I'm even willing to see refueling discussed again, but only after the other things are sorted out first.

Out of all those interesting observatons "refuelling" is the one thing that could really spice things up again. I'd like to see drivers pushing the cars hard in a race, and lets be honest folks, however you try to dress it up, modern F1 is more about managing the cars pace over a full race disctance than actually racing balls out. Sad but true.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I agree Morini, it's about saving fuel, saving tyres, saving gearboxes and saving engines. Give them bigger allocations of engines, and gearboxes too. Refueling isn't top of my personal priority list, but I am at least willing to discuss it if they tackle everything else first.

F1 will always have a fuel saving element, surely even with refuelling? The weight gain from under fuelling will always be advantageous. Unless there was a ruling where it was mandatory to carry full fuel loads, (110kg at present is it?) then we might get engines at full throughout the race, but then, you have the current rickdiculus element limits holding them back.

Come 2021 should the engine regs not change, efficiency and reliability will be at a whole other level, so could be pushed longer and harder.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Having a mooch around social media and found this retweeted by Craig Scarborough

"The FIA have issued an invitation to tender for the sole supply of gearboxes from 2021 onwards. Objective is 'to select an exclusive supplier to produce, deliver and maintain' gearboxes for at least four seasons."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Face... palm.

Oh my god why? Having standardised gearboxes will just give certain engine manufacturers an advantage. Don't know who, but standardised gearboxes will just work better with some engines. A far healthier approach would be to mandate engine suppliers also have to proved gearboxes / the entire drive chain. I'm getting more and more concerned about the direction LM and the FIA are seemingly taking F1 in.

Mexico president likely to put major hurdle in front of a new F1 deal:
The future of the Mexican Grand Prix has been further thrown into doubt after new comments by the country's president.

Leftist Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador is looking to introduce major reforms to Mexico including a program of cuts to his government's budget.
And the public money which is used to fund the race at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez is set to be one of his first targets.

"I do not know how the F1 contracts are. If they are not signed, we will not be able to [offer money]," he said at a news conference on Tuesday.
"In some cases, events were financed by the tourism development fund and that fund is committed to the construction of the Maya Train (a new railway linking major tourist destinations).
"We do not know in what situation these contracts [with F1] are. We are going to review them. We will continue to support all sports but with austerity, without excess, without waste."
2019 sees the last year of the current deal between Mexican GP organisers and Liberty Media and while the event only returned to F1 in 2015, it has become a favourite for the atmosphere in the stadium section, something that has also brought strong commercial value to the race.

Negotiations continue over a new contract, but without the government backing that many Grand Prix's receive around the world an agreement became much less likely.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

For those who havent renewed their skyf1 subscription, I read this tweet from Brundle:

All systems go @SkySportsF1 Loved being part of making this promo, we are really going for it in 2019 and looking forward to your company. Great SkyF1 pricing news incoming too.

(please dont shoot the messenger if the f*ckers do not reduce the sub fees)

edit
* SKY have just announced "There is a new chapter for F1 in 2019, Sky Sports F1, the Home of Live and Exclusive F1

To celebrate becoming the home of live and exclusive F1, Sky Sports F1 will be available for just £10 a month from 1 March

£10 a month is a really good deal, can you pay £5 extra for them to mute Crofty permanently.