F1 "Future Vision" plans

(19-12-2018, 08:14 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  It's a start. 

Yeah, something....anything is better than the usual nothing!

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

FIA explains how unrestricted CFD testing will work...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-u...d/4315882/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(21-12-2018, 05:24 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  FIA explains how unrestricted CFD testing will work...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-u...d/4315882/

That F1 ish Pic at the top of the page, how cool?  wow  Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(21-12-2018, 05:45 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  That F1 ish Pic at the top of the page, how cool?  wow  Cool

Very tasty indeed

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-gr...s/4317529/

Formula 1 has offered hints at possible alternatives to grid penalties in a new survey for fans. (Probably ignore them again!)

As part of its 'F1 Fan Voice' online community, F1 regularly carries out surveys to gauge the opinions of its audience.

In the latest of these surveys, it notes that "Research conducted by Formula 1 shows that fans are not satisfied with the existing grid penalties system", and says it would like to "understand your view on some alternative options".

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140845...-loopholes

Formula 1 teams have made a concerted effort to ensure the 2019 aerodynamic rules do not leave any loopholes that can be exploited, according to Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe.

As a first push in Liberty Media's bid to increase the amount of overtaking in F1, this year's cars will feature a number of changes designed to make them less aerodynamically sensitive when following each other.

Previous rules shake-ups have allowed some teams to gain an advantage by pouncing on ambiguities - most famously with the double diffuser concept that shock championship winner Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams deployed in 2009.
Lowe feels it is unlikely there will be a repeat of that scenario 10 years on.

"The teams have been quite ready and open, at least some of them, to put stuff on the table that's then been heavily constrained," Lowe told Autosport.

"The regulations are very restrictive. I hope it's the case for everybody else, but we're struggling to find a lot of performance out of these front wings.

"I think generally the teams are of a mindset that they want clarity, and not to have a lot of arguments when we turn up in Australia over poorly defined aspects of the regs.

"With that spirit, everybody has been quite enthusiastic to define things in more and more specific details so everybody knows what they're working with."

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Funny I cannot recall where I read it or who said it (Sorry) but it is said some teams have already made up for the time loss already.

My knowledge about this 'stuff' has improved but is still poor but I get the distinct impression that these changes are not going to help overtaking much if at all. I hope I am way off the mark.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brawn...s/4319831/

Brawn "impatient" to make bigger changes to F1.

Ross Brawn say he is "impatient" to revamp Formula 1, but insists that the slower process of consulting teams on changes is the right thing to do.

The former championship winning technical director and team boss was drafted in by F1’s new owners Liberty Media to help lead an overhaul of grand prix racing’s rules from 2021.

Brawn has been clear that he wants closer racing, more exciting looking cars and a more level financial playing field for everyone involved.
While progress on approving such radical rule changes has not been as fast as Brawn would have liked, he thinks that it would be wrong to rush through all-new regulations without getting them agreed with the competitors.

Speaking exclusively to Motorsport.com about future rule changes, Brawn said: “I am satisfied with the direction. I am not satisfied with the pace.

“It’s been a big challenge to move things on, but I know what's going on and I can see what's happening and I know that if we hadn’t started this process, it certainly wouldn’t have got to where we’ve got to today.

“Of course, I'm impatient for more to happen. But it is a necessity to keep the teams involved, to find solutions with them, to work with the FIA and find solutions. So I think it's going in the right direction.

“I think it is the first time Formula 1 has taken this approach and is looking at how we improve the sport in many areas. We’re only two years into this journey, but I am optimistic that we're going to see in the next few years the benefits of the work we are doing.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/first...s/4322005/

F1 using "world's first overtaking sim" for track designs.

Formula 1 has created "the world's first overtaking simulation" in a bid to design circuits that feature more entertaining racing, according to Pat Symonds.

F1 bosses have commissioned a series of working groups evaluating several ways to improve the quality of grand prix racing, and one of those is the Vehicle Performance Group that operates under Symonds' direction.

Speaking at the 2019 Autosport International Show, Symonds revealed that using simulation to influence circuit design is "an idea that is flying" and is already being used to impact the layout of the Hanoi circuit for the inaugural Vietnam race in 2020.
The tool is also being used to evaluate potential changes to existing tracks like Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina circuit, where racing has traditionally been poor.

"We've produced what I think is the world's first overtaking simulation," ex-Benetton, Renault and Williams technical chief Symonds claimed.

"It's been extremely complex to do. To run a lap takes several hours.

"It's a very, very complex simulation but it has a proper wake model of the cars, it looks at the surface and the tyre characteristics and all these sort of things.

"We're now using that to design our new circuits and to look at some modifications.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-be...s/4323615/

F1 created own sim to trial new grid formations.

Formula 1 created its own simulations to trial changing how the grid lines up in the future, having initially considered using Esports to sample potential tweaks.

Title-winning F1 tech boss Pat Symonds works for F1 as a leader of several projects trying to find ways to improve the quality of grand prix racing.

Last year, Symonds said F1 was evaluating changing the staggered one-by-one grid structure and targeted doing so in the virtual world.
However, instead of using Esports, Symonds revealed at this year's Autosport International Show that F1's approach had changed.

"We do want to make our decisions based on evidence," said Symonds. "Over the years we've moved towards this eight-metre, staggered grid formation.

"We asked ourselves what would happen if we moved the cars closer together and put them side-by-side again – maybe not four and three like they used to be, but two-by-two.

"When you want to simulate something like that, if you just do it as a physics problem you just get a trivial answer: if you start cars closer together, and they all accelerate at the same rate, they arrive at the first corner closer together.

"That's not what you want to know. What you want to know is what's actually going to happen. So, we built a simulation that uses artificial intelligence, but we can also put a human in."

F1 has worked hard to build its Esports platform alongside the official F1 game.