F1 "Future Vision" plans

That twinge is turning to full on dread, when opening this thread. Rarely makes for happy reading. Basically they have to take the racing closer to bigger populations, because they have hidden viewing it from your own home behind paywalls, which means no new fan base. So to make the potential new fan base aware, they have to block their commutes to work, and popping down the shops.

If they are going to persist with street circuits, they should all be night races, at least add a little bit of a spectacle to it.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verdi...s/3210230/

The verdict on F1's definitive 2019 regulations. (Video 8m 34s)

The FIA recently finalised the new aerodynamic regulations for the 2019 Formula 1 season, featuring redefined simplified front and rear wings. Giorgio Piola and the Autosport team assess the changes.

With the new regulations aiming to improve the on-track action by reducing the front wing sensitivity in turbulent air, the hope is that the new ruleset will minimise the difficulty of following another car closely - which ought to yield closer racing.

In addition, the increasingly-complex brake ducts and bargeboards have been pared back, leaving the teams with aerodynamic performance to recoup over the winter.

With the help of a brand new video produced by Giorgio Piola, Glenn Freeman is joined by Ben Anderson and Jake Boxall-Legge to dissect the new rules, and to analyse whether the changes will have the effect desired by the FIA.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ar...l/3210386/

Formula 1 is putting in place "an array of options" should Silverstone fail to conclude a deal to stay on the grand prix calendar beyond 2019.

The British Grand Prix venue has activated a break clause in its contract, meaning a new deal must be negotiated for F1 to stay there from 2020.

Earlier this week F1's commercial managing director Sean Bratches hinted that the race could move away from Silverstone, its permanent home since 1987 and a regular F1 venue throughout the championship's history.

F1 chief Chase Carey made clear Silverstone has to justify its place on the calendar from 2020, without specifying whether the alternatives he mooted were a different British GP location or giving its calendar place to another country.

Are they really going to lose Silverstone for a "destination city" or is this leverage? this is starting to annoy me now......

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(08-11-2018, 07:24 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Are they really going to lose Silverstone for a "destination city" or is this leverage? this is starting to annoy me now......

Do what I'm doing, have a flapjack, and hatch a cunning plan. Smile

Again, it was Bernie's deals which put Silverstone at risk, not LM, worst case I think, is it goes to London for one year, until, a more reasonable deal can be made with Silverstone. Still No fecking idea why there is no GB, Gov't subsidy for this race, I guess as usual the politicians don't feel it necessary. Fecking Morons

I understand (though don't like) LM's push for destination races in other countries, to grow the sport, but in the UK, it's fecking nonsense. And I don't know what Bratches means by having to justify it, Silverstone needs no more justification than say, Spa. Pretty sure that's out in the country as well, maybe they get a better deal though, (or Gov't help?, hmmm)

Can't see the home of F1, standing for it, and the optics of having almost all F1 teams based in the UK, while not having a purpose built track, like . . . let me think, Silverstone, would be nuts. As for no UK, GP, that would be even more absurd.

Wouldn't take too much notice of this, or get too annoyed yet, then again, I'm half a flapjack in . . . . yes I see a very cunning plan come together, LOL Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 2 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

(08-11-2018, 07:45 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(08-11-2018, 07:24 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Are they really going to lose Silverstone for a "destination city" or is this leverage? this is starting to annoy me now......

Do what I'm doing, have a flapjack, and hatch a cunning plan.  Smile
Wouldn't take too much notice of this, or get too annoyed yet, then again, I'm half a flapjack in . . . . yes I see a very cunning plan come together, LOL Smile

You are right buddy I shouldn't get stressed about it, feck  it, flap jack it is, life's taken a stressful turn in my world so its medicinal Haha.  Winkblink

Pretty much what I thought about the changes Papa. My concern yet again is that ironically these changes won't hit the big teams at all, it'll just widen the gap back to the midfield. We saw that with the loss of T-wings and monkey seats etc. You cut out these areas and actually it harms the smaller teams performance disproportionately. The front wing fair enough, that's somewhere the bigger teams excel, but the other areas I think are more important to the smaller teams. I approve of the higher rear wing... not so much the bigger DRS, that's a mistake, but lets wait and see how it pans out. Hopefully it does some good.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-at...y/3210872/

Chase Carey believes Formula 1 can still attract new manufacturers despite backing away from a major overhaul of its engine regulations for 2021.  

Hmmmm    Confused

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139934...ak-in-2019

Formula 1 teams are discussing the potential for a winter break in December 2019.
The initial idea is for a factory shutdown to be between December 24 to January 1, running under the same arrangements as the long-established 14-day summer break, in which teams can only maintain a skeleton staff.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

As I understand it when they proposed the simplified engined VAG (Porsche, Audi and Lamborghini) were all "no thanks" they wanted some of the WEC developments they have worked on bringing across, specifically the bigger battery use and deployment and unrestricted fuel flow. So the had Volkswagen Audi Group went cold initially. Toyota also said they wouldn't be interested in simplified engines... so only Aston Martin were interested and the current manufacturers quite frankly were never happy. If you listen to Porshe's Sporting Director the biggest stumbling block for them is the current distribution of money and lack of interest from sponsors.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formu...l/3211151/

Delegates from the Formula 1 Group, the FIA and Pirelli attended an extraordinary meeting of the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association at Interlagos to discuss the future of F1.

The gathering had been widely expected to focus on the drivers’ misgivings about the current generation of Pirelli tyres. The sensitivity of the compounds has resulted in a tendency for races to be dictated by tyre management, narrowing strategic choices and forcing drivers to run slower than they would prefer.

But in the event, the meeting – held immediately after the usual Friday evening drivers’ briefing – took a more wide ranging brief and was attended by F1 managing director Ross Brawn, FIA safety delegate and race director Charlie Whiting, and Pirelli sporting director Mario Isola.

Autosport understands that the drivers were canvassed on their opinions concerning the next generation of Formula 1 rules for 2021 and beyond.

First time anyone has really asked the drivers about what they want and what direction they should go in with the cars and rules. Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton all predicted what we saw with the last generation cars and the current generation. They all foresaw this, a lot of fans did too. I certainly did. I just think that at some point they've got to move towards downforce and grip generated by aero only. We need cars that can push 100% during the race, follow each other and not be as wide as tanks. That requires active suspension, less body work and ground effect. Not sure we'll get that in 2021, or whether or not it'll have the desired effect, but F1 should be moving back towards these technologies that can at least give us a chance.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post