2018 Bahrain GP

Gasly, you superstar! I bet McLaren are really hurting.

Can't see past the red cars driving off into the distance tomorrow myself. Hamilton blew it there, he needed to be on front row minimum and can't see him doing a lot from 9th. Some fast cars ahead of him and unless there;s a safety car I think damage limitation is the best he can hope for. Valterri seems to like this track, but who said Mercedes had a much better PU than the rest of the field? I think this weekend shows that to be nonsense.

Hamilton will start on the softs, run long and switch to the medium tyres and try to one stop while hoping for a VSC or SC around his pit window. Doubt he's getting on the podium though unless some others really slip up.

I am also totally willing to hold my hands up over Gasly. Prior to joining TR last season I couldn't quite see why Marko and others rated him so highly. He handled himself very well last season, and today I saw a real spark. He's a talent.

And yeah... McLaren need to do some soul searching. The acceleration trace on that Honda looks fine to me. The top speeds look good, I'm not sure about corner speeds, but we can now say that the Honda engine was not the only thing holding them back, or even the main thing.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(07-04-2018, 06:07 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Vettel will start on the softs, run long and switch to the medium tyres and try to one stop while hoping for a VSC or SC around his pit window.

s/vettel/hamilton

And I agree.

[edit] Ah, I see you've now edited your post.

Yeah, writing at a party on my phone and either was ninja'ed by predictive text or had a brain fart. Switched it to Hamilton. To be fair his medium run looked really, really good and like he could go for days and he wasn't losing much time per lap compared to others super soft runs 0.150 or thereabouts. He could come into play on a one stop if as expected at the front it's a two stop.

PS. Can we all have a minutes silence for Williams Martini Racing... formerly an F1 team, now a complete and utter farce. Shit car. Shitter drivers.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(07-04-2018, 06:20 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  PS. Can we all have a minutes silence for Williams Martini Racing... formerly an F1 team, now a complete and utter farce. Shit car. Shitter drivers.

Paddy's reputation is in tatters!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I did hear its high speed corners that TR struggle with, which would lead one to think they have a slippery car. at this circuit that critical. Coupled with the perhaps (I think) Honda have the best traction map, as McLaren were insane out of corners last season. You've got a successful car setup.

Tomorrow could come down the deg of tyres and Ferrari had the worst drop off in the practice race sims. HYPE!!

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

(07-04-2018, 06:24 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  I did hear its high speed corners that TR struggle with, which would lead one to think they have a slippery car. 

I think the TR was definitely running low drag. There was / is a lot of Gasly hype though and I thought this weekend, so far, he's done a cracking job. I'd like to see him finish in the top 6 tomorrow. Not sure he will, but I'll be cheering him on. He looks worth a spot in F1 from what I've seen so far (unlike the Williams pair).

At least we will probably get to see some overtaking in the race with Lewis and Mad Max being so out of position.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Morini a lot of peeps opinions I respect thought very highly of Gasly (and they do of Wehrlein and Giovinazzi) but whenever I saw him in the lower formula I was not blown away. He was neat and tidy and relatively quick, but in the races I saw he never stood out. So I'll admit, I didn't get it, the hype around him I mean. However, tail end of last season he came into a difficult situation, performed admirably and was very professional in his approach, I warmed to him. Today I saw a driver willing to throw a car around a track and who was able to drag performance out of the car that shouldn't have been there. He might very well be the real deal. Meanwhile Crashtappen put it in the wall again. He's dropping his RBR slot this year 6 spins in total during the Australian GP weekend and 5 here already and one of them he's stuffed into the wall. He's not happy in that car.

PS loving Magnussen schooling Moanjean again, what a thoroughly average driver he is. The only Ferrari he's driving is the one he bought himself.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(07-04-2018, 07:40 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  The only Ferrari he's driving is the one he bought himself.

Heh  Wink

I'm going to have to steal that one.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

[Image: DaM60JSXUAAS9JZ.jpg:large]
[Image: DaNG_0LW4AEbfkZ.jpg]

Bored, so just shooting some shizzle.
In earlier posts thoughts switched to one stops, but race sim deg indicated its a two stop for most. There are alot of fresh mediums at teams disposal however.

Looking at fresh tyres still available:-
So two stop SS>SS>S for the top teams.
If the soft is the king tyre Williams may run more softs, in their stints.
Will Merc try Lewis with S>M, maybe a bit of a shame, arguable fastest car & driver driving to deltas. Guess no different if he was leading.
Looks like those that missed out on Q3 from Q3 could be most compromised in this race. Especially Hartley with only two new tyres, that don't include mediums.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post