Potential new teams / engine manufacturers

So, Liberty Media are saying that a number of manufacturers are interested in entering F1 if the engines / PUs change, so far we’ve heard about Porsche (Volkswagen Group), Aston Martin, Jaguar (with Cosworth), Lamborghini, Ford and Toyota. We know they also want to see 26 cars (currently that would mean 13 teams, an increase of 3). However, what price would we be willing to pay to attract them? If all 6 manufacturers came into the sport and we retained the current 4 manufacturers that would be ideal, that’d be a lot of works teams. However, losing Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes would be a big blow to the sport, so how would you handle the conundrum?

Do you think there's enough expertise and resource out there to give birth to 6 entirely new teams? I'm not so sure.

If those 6 were to join, this would be my prediction;
Aston Martin are already half way into bed with Red Bull
Porsche & Toyota would start new teams
Lamborghini would team up with Toro Rosso (match made in heaven right there!)
Jaguar/Cosworth would team up with Williams (Heralding the return of British Racing Green and the pit crew all wear smocks and smoke pipes)
Which I guess leaves Ford with the choice of starting their own team or partnering Force India, Sauber or Haas. The latter could be a good all-American love-fest. They'd probably coax Scott Speed back into the cockpit.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 2 users Like Purple-banana's post

I’m not sure all of them could enter into F1. Obviously the Volkswagen Group has cleared it’s decks now for Porsche, ditto Jaguar Cosworth. Toyota have also been clearing their decks so i’d Say there are 3 ready and primed. Ford also have the expertise and, as do Aston Martin, and the Lamborghini rumour was the one that shocked me, aren’t they also owned by the Volkswagen Group? Either way I think Porsche, Jaguar Cosworth and Aston Martin are very interested. I see Toyota and Ford as just sniffing, I just wonder how you tempt them in while keeping Merc, Renault, Ferrari and Honda happy. I think there is going to have to be an MGU-H, that will put some off, but I think Porsche and Aston Martin could do it, as could Jaguar Cosworth... if they homologate the component around the Merc Design (it’s the one they’re all copying any way) and sweeten the deal with a golden hello cash payment.

As those of you who read my posts on Motorsports know, this is only me chit-chatting. I will argue my opinions/thoughts strongly but it doesn't mean that I think I'm right.

Porsche would be the most interesting and I think competitive of those potential new entries. Their time in WEC is a almost a proof of their potential in Formula 1.

I honestly don't see Toyota coming back into Formula One with the proposed simplified power units. They wouldn't need the additional expense as they are already in WEC as their R&D venture. Maybe if Tesla entered F1 (never happen) they would feel compelled to match them.

Any Cosworth entry I'm a bit skeptical about. I was doing some minimal research and the last teams to use their engines in Formula One weren't all that successful. They've even had some poor reliability issues in the past. And that was with simple engines. I think, like with Honda, people are caught up in nostalgia. At least Honda has a global multi-billion dollar operation with a real reason for being in F1. What will Jaguar/Cosworth gain? Marketing can't be the only reason to take on the F1 expense.

I don't know enough about Lamborghini and their interest.

Ford. They've stated time and again they weren't interested. I do know more about their financials and I can't see what it would serve for them to enter F1 with the proposed simpler power units. The proposed PUs really would provide very little in the way of being an R&D proving ground. 15K RPM 1.6L V6es with KERS might push material sciences/engineering but it wouldn't do much for efficiency or battery technology.

I have an unfounded suspicion that Toyota, Porsche/VW and Ford are pushing this simpler tech because they fear that Mercedes, Renault and Honda will gain too much and will beat them in the competition that really matters. That being the global consumer energy market.

It would be a shame to lose Honda again... yes, I really do feel that way. Mercedes and Renault employ so many people now, it would be a shame to see those racing teams become shells. That said, more teams, more companies, might make the racing more interesting.
[+] 2 users Like UncleElias's post

(15-11-2017, 06:24 AM)UncleElias Wrote:  As those of you who read my posts on Motorsports know, this is only me chit-chatting. I will argue my opinions/thoughts strongly but it doesn't mean that I think I'm right.

Porsche would be the most interesting and I think competitive of those potential new entries. Their time in WEC is a almost a proof of their potential in Formula 1.

I honestly don't see Toyota coming back into Formula One with the proposed simplified power units. They wouldn't need the additional expense as they are already in WEC as their R&D venture. Maybe if Tesla entered F1 (never happen) they would feel compelled to match them.

Any Cosworth entry I'm a bit skeptical about. I was doing some minimal research and the last teams to use their engines in Formula One weren't all that successful. They've even had some poor reliability issues in the past. And that was with simple engines. I think, like with Honda, people are caught up in nostalgia. At least Honda has a global multi-billion dollar operation with a real reason for being in F1. What will Jaguar/Cosworth gain? Marketing can't be the only reason to take on the F1 expense.

Ford. They've stated time and again they weren't interested. I do know more about their financials and I can't see what it would serve for them to enter F1 with the proposed simpler power units. The proposed PUs really would provide very little in the way of being an R&D proving ground. 15K RPM 1.6L V6es with KERS might push material sciences/engineering but it wouldn't do much for efficiency or battery technology.

I have an unfounded suspicion that Toyota, Porsche/VW and Ford are pushing this simpler tech because they fear that Mercedes, Renault and Honda will gain too much and will beat them in the competition that really matters. That being the global consumer energy market.

It would be a shame to lose Honda again... yes, I really do feel that way. Mercedes and Renault employ so many people now, it would be a shame to see those racing teams become shells. That said, more teams, more companies, might make the racing more interesting.

great post Uncle, glad to have you here, and chit chat and opinion is what we're after, without the silliness, though as Jody said I believe Lambo, are part of the VW group, but thanks for engaging, and keep it up please Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(15-11-2017, 06:24 AM)UncleElias Wrote:  As those of you who read my posts on Motorsports know, this is only me chit-chatting. I will argue my opinions/thoughts strongly but it doesn't mean that I think I'm right.

I have no interest in people who aren't willing to say what they think, I happen to think you are right on many of your points, with Bernie gone, yeah, Porsche are interested in F1, and are absolutely wanting to get in. They're also clearly concerned (as the VW Group) about Mercedes rapid advancement in Heat Energy Recovery (HER) as it's HER that will make electric motors efficient / viable in the near future... hence my personal belief Toyota ARE interested. The Toyota board refused to ratify their continued involvement in WEC as well so they're clearly not committed totally to the WEC formula.

As to the Jaguar / Cosworth interest... I know people at both. They are genuinely interested, Jaguars new India owners in particular want to get in on the act. They want the Jaguar brand in F1, and I think they have the cash to do it. However they are viewing it as a sporting / marketing endeavor, not an R&D venture, hence the push for simpler engines. They're not interested in HER, or making great technical advancements.

As to the proposed engines, I agree, to most manufacturers they'll look at it and go "yeah, I can do that no problem", and I think that's the real issue. They don't want to rock up to a sport, just to 'sport'. They need more out of it, and these proposed engines just do not do that for them, there's nothing they can't get from elsewhere cheaper, and arguable with better financial streams backing the R&D.

Ford? They're not really interested, I don't believe it, LM were also trying to claim Chevrolet were interested in F1, but Chevy themselves shot that down, so I honestly think they're just trying to heap pressure on current manufacturers to remain by saying"well your competitors are interested so we won't miss you". Trouble is when you have LM making silly mistakes in their 'lies' (maybe too strong a word there) like both Porsche and Lamborghini being interested (both VW Group) and Nissan (technology partners with Renault, and currently helping Renault with their batteries and HERS problem) I think the current manufacturers see right through it, and yeah, I too think there is some mischief going on here. When Mercedes claimed, then proved they had an engine on a dyno reaching over 50% efficiency I think it sent shivers down the spines of most manufacturers. Then when Renault and Ferrari made claims they'd be hitting around 45% soon as well... lets just say I bet there was loosening of bowels around various corporate boards. Even Honda THIS year achieved 37% efficiency and seem confident of even bigger gains (whether they see that in the cars is another question), if you're the VW Group, if you're Toyota or even Ford, you look at that and go "we're nowhere near that" and as stated elsewhere on these boards, HER is of paramount importance going forward not just for ICE, but also electronic motors, currently F1 is the R&D super fast lane for that.

Porsche? In short I think VW Group with Porsche are interested, and interested in HER.

Jaguar / Cosworth? They want in as a sporting endeavor, and would seriously reconsider if they had to produce a HER unit of some kind, plus don't think they'd be a massive boost to the sport.

Aston Martin? They too are seriously interested. They don't have the resources currently to produce a current unit, but they too must see the HER writing on the wall.

Ford? Playing mischief, I think they're concerned about HER, but I also don't think they have the resources OR will to get back involved in F1.

Lamborghini? No, sorry LM, I saw straight through that ruse (hey, that's a better word than lie), if the VW Group get involved, it'll be via Porsche.

Nissan? See comment above, if LM are going to try bluffing, they need a stronger playbook.

Chevrolet? Already laughed off by them.

Toyota? I too originally thought not likely, but their lack of commitment to WEC beyond their current contract has got me thinking they might like to come back to F1. They also have HER R&D up and running and were pushing it in WEC. 

In summary Porsche are interested full stop. The others? They're either not genuine, or their agendas don't line up and are faffing about really. Toyota and more specifically Porsche are from the list the only real potential contenders. I think Aston Martin would like to be... but I don't think they have the resources. So long and short of it, FOM, LM and the FIA can't risk losing Renault, Honda and Mercedes (possibly even Ferrari) to only maybe get Porsche and Toyota.

To put in my two penny worth,

Porsche is a great prospect and I believe they are very close with Red Bull. Keep hearing those rumors. Only thing in this that puzzles me is Austin Martin's place.

Jaguar. Hmm, they tried in the past and with no succes. Still, new owners are willing and with more money. Still don't see this hapening so fast because of technology lack (don't get me wrong; would love to see the old Jag in British Racing Green on the tracks).

Ford. Honestly haven't heard nothing, know nothing about Ford also.

Lamborghini. See Red Bull selling Torro Rosso to Lamborghini. Would be great. But do they have the money?

Toyota. Should have the money and R&D, but is no guarantee of succes (look at Honda). Toyota seems a company that goes for save and a F1 adventure (with Honda as example) is not save.

@Antilochos, I think Porsche would look for a full works team, they wouldn’t go the Honda / engine supplier route, and they currently have one hell of a WEC team with lots of expertise, they’ve said they plan on retaining them after they leave WEC, if ANY team could rock into F1 with a new car, it’s Porsche, they’re that impressive.

Jaguar have the money, but not the pedigree / personnel, even with Cosworth helping on the engine side of things they’d struggle, they also seem to be looking at F1 in a very different way to everyone else, as a fun marketing exercise, rather than technology proving ground. So i’m Not sure of the match / fit with F1 is quite right.

Lamborghini are essentially Porsche, they’re part of the same VW Group. Could I see Lamborghini and Porsche in F1 from the same group? I don’t know, I really don’t. Fiat have wanted to have a second team for years, Alfa Romeo to go along with Ferrari, and have balked at the costs / difficulties. Having multiple teams running your engines is vitally important though.

Ford... yeah... I think they turned up to the meetings for the free sandwiches and coffee, I don’t think they’re serious about F1, it’s not where their focus is right now. Aston Martin see themselves as being in the same league as a marque as Ferrari, they want to be in F1 because they see themselves there, do they have the resources and personnel? Not yet, but they’re building the base slowly with RBR. I could see them getting there.

Toyota are the enigma, they could definitely do F1... no question. Do they want to do F1? That’s the question. There is no question they’re interested in the heat recovery tech developed inside F1 over the last few years, it absolutely plays in their wheelhouse as it were. Do they have the motivation, and desire to do F1? I don’t know.

But what about any new potential 'customer teams'?

China F1?
Doesn't Stefan GP deserve a chance, seeing he's applied that many times - you can't discount his continued interest. Or maybe we'll eventually see an entry from Michael Andretti?

(09-12-2017, 12:59 AM)BrendanSylvester Wrote:  But what about any new potential 'customer teams'?

China F1?
Doesn't Stefan GP deserve a chance, seeing he's applied that many times - you can't discount his continued interest. Or maybe we'll eventually see an entry from Michael Andretti?

I would love to see some customer teams, but whose donkey's would they put in the back? Both Ferrari and Mercedes have said providing power units to three teams is hard enough as it is. Renault apparently want to supply engines to only two teams going forward, and that leave Honda powering Toro Rosso and possibly even Red Bull from 2019, and with the best will in the world they've struggled to supply engines to one team. It's clear that something has to give though. I'd welcome Porsche and Toyota back into F1 with glee, I'd also love to see the sport work for privateers as well, for that we need more engines, and better distribution of prize money.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post