2018 Australian GP

Interesting differences on tyre selection for Melbourne:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headl...egies.html

I thought Mercedes were supposed to favour the harder tyres? Or maybe they're going to do some belated winter testing on the Ultrasofts?
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Can find everything expect teams tyres selections for last years weekend. But think you're right Jody.

Thought this FP1 result might indicate that they followed the same suit last year, and that Mercedes have always seemed to focus on a specific tyre in winter testing. Then have a good amount of softer compounds to test track specific. Did it pay off last year, questionable, but they seem much more comfortable from testing this year.

Q1 easy for top three teams, Super softs probably only needed.

Race one stop, even with softer compound design. Maybe Ferrari to put more time into yellow soft tyre to have a better understanding for a potential undercut?
[Image: C7pns-dXQAMZ7_X.jpg:large]
[Image: C7vw9v4WsAAmU56.jpg:large]
[Image: 12915_01-AU-PitStopSummary-4k-EN.jpg]

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

I'm assuming most will be doing quali stints on the Ultras on Friday and Saturday, and maybe test out how the super soft goes. I think they're in uncharted territory really, so get your set up right for quali, start race on Ultras, then see how it's looking and either switch to softs for a one stop race, or super softs, for a two stop race... however... Mercedes seem to be leaning towards it being two stops with their choices, or certainly Lewis is.

Merc may split the practicing of the compounds, Let Bottas test the Soft, Lewis run the Supers. All compounds are one step softer this year? Ultras ran quite far into the race last year. So could even be One stop Ultra-Supers. Realistically Ferrari have enough of the softer compounds for the weekend, one and two stop.

Maybe change the title of this thread to 'Australian GG 2018 - Melbourne'? throw all buildup, session, post race discussion in here?

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Title changed

I think despite the mileage most of the teams are unsure of how the tyres will play out at a race weekend, I mean the new surface at Barcelona didn't help matters too much, as they don't have continuity of comparisons, which won't help. There's a lot of unknowns really going into week 1... just want it to start.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Too true about the surface, before, teams could maybe count on quite similar abrasion properties between Barcelona and Melbourne, now that's gone. So yeah Jody, totally agree, big tyre unknowns for this track.

Anyone want to call out some predictions? or we gonna keep quite to no give any hints at Fantasy Team selection. Which I hope is going to open tomorrow, so stay frosty for my post about the league etc.

Im gonna say: Qually, same as the last few years.
Race, 1st & 2nd, a few second ahead of an amazing three way fight for third, like MotoGP count of overtakes. Gritty, courageously clean, erased tyre marking racing. all three cross line covered by 0.8s. The rest, no idea. FP2 will make my mind up on that.

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I can put my neck on the line if you like and predict the top 10 of the grid:

1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Valtteri Bottas
3) Daniel Ricciardo
4) Sebastian Vettel
5) Max Verstappen
6) Kimi Raikkonen
7) Carlos Sainz
8) Kevin Magnussen
9) Nico Hulkenberg's
10) Sergio Perez

I think on one lap pace the Merc will prove to have an advantage, but that RBR and Ferrari will be fairly evenly matched. Best of the rest being Renault, and as this is a Sainz track I've put him ahead of Nico. I've picked Magnussen to split the Renault's mainly because I think it'll be funny, put Perez as my last spot in the top 10 because he goes well in Australia and despite FI's clear struggles I hope they're not too far off... but fear they are.

Race trim? I expect RBR to be closer to Mercedes than Ferrari, obviously going off of pre-season testing runs so it comes with a health warning!!! So Hamilton comfortable win from Bottas, Danny on Podium just ahead of Max with Seb fifth, Hulkenberg's sixth and Raikkonen seventh. Sainz or Magnussen eight, with the other ninth and Hartley tenth.

Just don't put any money on it!!!

As I said health warnings, plus my irrational rational hatred of Grosjean has possibly coloured my prediction (he's probably still a safer bet than the bacon farmer).

PS I'd put the McLaren pair in their as I genuinely rate both drivers, BUT you just can't tell where McLaren actually are. My gut says probably between 8th to 14th if all goes well for them, but nothing has gone well for them for a long time.

(14-03-2018, 12:01 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I can put my neck on the line if you like and predict the top 10 of the grid:

Go on then, I'll have a guess prediction as well  Rolleyes

1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Valtteri Bottas
3) Daniel Ricciardo 
4) Sebastian Vettel
5) Max Verstappen
6) Kimi Raikkonen
7) Carlos Sainz
8) Esteban Ocon
9) Nico Hulkenberg
10) Pierre Gasly

I have updated the fantasy league thread with the details.

I know it's close to Jody's grid order, but it is a best guess and I freely admit I don't have anything firm to base it on (I have a hunch Mercs confidence probably isn't unfounded).

Might change my opinion after P2 though!!!