Merc/SF/RBR/Renault comparisons

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-f...e-1033357/

How Formula 1 teams have jumped upon a floor loophole.

"Formula 1's rule book has expanded massively over the years, and has got increasingly more complicated as new regulations have been added or evolved.
One consequence of a constantly changing rule book is that sometimes rules can end up contradicting each other – or a clause aimed to stamp out a certain design gets made irrelevant.
This is something that happened with the 2017 floor rules, as a regulation originally intended to stop teams exploiting holes in the floor was made inconsequential."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Yeah, this 100mm came to light at launch when some teams, especially McLaren, rocked up with almost car length slots along the floor. Will be interesting to see if FIA closes it off at the end of the season.

Personally I'd like to see it left in place, it adds alot of downforce and air conditioning at very little outwash/disturbance, perhaps contributing to some additional close following potential to cars behind.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138144...ari-battle

The F1 tech war fuelling Mercedes' and Ferrari's 2018 title battle.

The fight for the 2018 Formula 1 title, which resumes in Belgium this weekend, is one of the most intense in the past decade.
There has been little to separate Mercedes and Ferrari - despite employing very different car philosophies - as each has seized the initiative at various points, with neither able to establish itself clear at the front.

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how-m...i/3187839/

Understanding, unlocking and managing tyre performance has always been an artform in modern Formula 1 and can often make a big difference in the performance between teams.

That becomes especially true towards the end of a season when those teams have got on top of matters start to pull away from those that have not.

It's a topic that's been central to Mercedes's quest for improvement ever since its return to the sport in 2010 – having been through phases whether it has hugely struggled to stop the rears overheating and then other times when it has been fully in control of things.

Even during its dominant recent spell it has particularly struggled to stay on top of the tyre situation at slower street circuits, with its concept better able to stretch its leg at high-speed medium downforce venues.

However, knowing that there was an area of weakness that needed addressing, Mercedes has focused a lot of effort in better sorting its tyre management for this type of venue – and judging by its success in Singapore and Russia it has certainly delivered.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post