Ferrari SF71H

(15-04-2018, 06:37 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  By "in the corners" are we speculating, corner grip from downforce levels? or out of corners with traction, so a form of traction control?

I wouldnt think it would be aero/downforce, remember Mclaren had the fiddle brake or brake steer as some called it then that was banned , I would imagine and I am only taking a stab here but it would be more some form of diff braking or slip to allow for better rotation around the rear axle. We see drivers constantly making diff adjustments throughout the races but it would aid a driver to set the diff then pull a lever/paddle after entering a corner allowing slip/braking as needed, a bit like trail braking only using the diff as opposed to brakes, As I said its only a guess

(had to edit as I mis read your comment)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

There are three rumours I can see / believe. There is one that isn't related directly to cornering though that I'll list separately:

1) Adjustable tension in front heave springs. Technically not illegal, but basically a manual form of FRIC.
2) Some firm of variable differential which is essentially a manual form of traction control, which if that's what it is, it's 100% illegal... but would be nigh on impossible to prove.
3) Tension rods that lower the nose of the car. The idea being that when on the straight and fully tense the front wing is raised a bit, but when cornering it gets tilted.

Now the wild mental conspiracy theory I've heard in a few places... the trigger is a way to reroot the oil burning back into the engine temporarily. This would give their engine a serious BHP when needed, say in qualifying, as the oil burn / breathing is measured over the weekend as an average over mileage, soooo... increasing either for a qualifying boost briefly and dropping it over the race would mean they stay under the threshold's for either.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Jody would above points 1 and 3 not be very easy for the Fia to catch in scrutineering?

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(15-04-2018, 07:34 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  2) Some firm of variable differential which is essentially a manual form of traction control, which if that's what it is, it's 100% illegal... but would be nigh on impossible to prove.

You'll have to expand on that one Jody. I'm a bit confused by that on, the drivers can lock up / loosen their diffs at will now. It's always been an in race tune-able, much like brake bias. Unless you are suggesting some sort of mechanism to prevent the rears from spinning up out of corners? After all, a differential is simply a means of allowing the inside wheel to rotate at a different rate to the outside.

Can't see how you can do traction control with a limited slip diff?

Firstly... Point 1 would be super hard to prove. Point 3 would be easier, but technically might not be illegal.

Morini perhaps I should have written it as "traction control" the explanation I heard was almost suggesting a fine tuning of the differential once in a specific setting, with the idea being that, as you say, it'd maybe stop you lighting up your rears. Who knows?
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Point 3 is definitely illegal... "any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited" ... point 1 as this would be determined by hydraulic/electronic servo`s just like HPC I would imagine it would be fairly easy to catch especially as the Fia have recently amended into scruteneering.

I have no idea if this lever/paddle is even for any of this and was only replying to another post, I guess we will all have to wait until other teams start screaming or Fia have a butchers themselves Wink

Forza that would be my interpretation of the rules too, but others have pointed out that it might not necessarily 'change the aerodynamic characteristics' of the car. I've heard some quite weak arguments, none that would pass muster with me were I the FIA. However, I could see how it would work. For me I still think some sort of heave spring tension adjustment device is more likely / probable. Teams want suspension adjustment because quite frankly it's so potent.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-04-2018, 08:57 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Forza that would be my interpretation of the rules too, but others have pointed out that it might not necessarily 'change the aerodynamic characteristics' of the car. I've heard some quite weak arguments, none that would pass muster with me were I the FIA. However, I could see how it would work. For me I still think some sort of heave spring tension adjustment device is more likely / probable. Teams want suspension adjustment because quite frankly it's so potent.

As Ive said bud I have no idea, just throwing my tuppence in the ring so to speak

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Me too Forza, I have no idea, and some of the suggestions I've read are mental. These are just the ones that could be plausible.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-04-2018, 09:05 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Me too Forza, I have no idea, and some of the suggestions I've read are mental. These are just the ones that could be plausible.

Its funny how on one hand I think all this pushing the boundary of tech is so fascinating yet on the other hand can/does ruin good racing.

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post