Williams FW41

so first proper Paddy Lowe Williams, thoughts? looks pretty good, and at last a painted halo rather than trying to hide the flipflop with a black background

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

It has rake... and detailed sidepods unlike the Haas, which sorry does look like the Haas that closed out last season, this Williams does look a fair bit different, want to see their diffuser too, because it looks high in some shots.

PS link to the launch video if you've not seen it:

https://youtu.be/DlEAC8rFQ9M
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

[Image: DWGU9mHXUAMFZgS.jpg]
Ferrari sidepod opening for all. Boy, do they go tight about half way along the side pod.

Barage boards seem a bit conservative, the outer up rights anyway. I thinking they'll change for testing, certainly Melbourne.

I like it, i even like the 'halo' the way the crash structure is so visible in the roll hoop ties in nicely with the bony halo.

Diffuser Jody[Image: bBLY30.png]

Some interesting rear suspension going on. Gonna see if I can find some tech analysis to tell me whats going on there.

just noticed flat top to shark fin ala Merc last year, cooling options.

Come on the Williams, hoping this cars works well, need to compensate for the drivers.

(15-02-2018, 09:03 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  It has rake... and detailed sidepods unlike the Haas, which sorry does look like the Haas that closed out last season, this Williams does look a fair bit different, want to see their diffuser too, because it looks high in some shots.

PS link to the launch video if you've not seen it:

https://youtu.be/DlEAC8rFQ9M

Williams ran a fair bit of rake last year also, close to Ferraris level i think.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Hey Hesh, yeah Williams ran between 1.5 to 1.8 degrees of rake last year, very similar to Ferrari... however Paddy Lowe isn't a 'rake' guy. His McLarens and Mercs have been flatter than a witches tit. So for me it's interesting to see a Lowe car go with rake.

The suspension has been clearly designed to offer aerodynamic benefits, it looks more like spoilers than suspension arms. I suspected some teams might exaggerate the suspension at the rear for aerodynamic benefit this year... Maybe that's what makes the diffuser look high, or maybe it's the black paint job, but the diffuser does look high.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

[Image: 5b043e281609b6b6ff584b44b109e131.jpg]

'member this? McLaren 2014: "blockers", would love to know what the principle for these were. I'm wondering whether now no monkey seat, the suspension arms may be worked a little harder to work with the lower T-wing and help keep the rear wing energized?

I guess that the reg's were more suited to Paddy's low rake. But these reg's are proving that rake is the way. Williams existing aero department would have the figure for that, for Paddy to direct.

Williams FW41 Launch Analysis
https://formulaone21.wordpress.com/2018/...-analysis/

Loving this persons work. Straight on it.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(16-02-2018, 12:47 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  'member this? McLaren 2014: "blockers", would love to know what the principle for these were. I

Could be wrong, but my guess is they reduce the pressure behind the diffuser and thus improve it's performance (sucking the air from under the car).

They're not in clear air-flow either, so they would create minimal drag

Did they race the whole season with them? My memory is a bit hazy but didn't they have problems with them cracking?)

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

(16-02-2018, 02:10 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  
(16-02-2018, 12:47 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  'member this? McLaren 2014: "blockers", would love to know what the principle for these were. I

Could be wrong, but my guess is they reduce the pressure behind the diffuser and thus improve it's performance (sucking the air from under the car).

They're not in clear air-flow either, so they would create minimal drag

Did they race the whole season with them? My memory is a bit hazy but didn't they have problems with them cracking?)

From what I can remember they where banned at some stage through the season, and yes they created an area of low pressure.....bearing in mind I can hardly remember yesterday  Sad

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

As Iman Hansra writes about the Williams nose, it makes me wonder why we haven't seen more teams adopt the Merc and Torro narrower nose? I would of thought that was optimum design? Is it a case that other teams just can't pass the crash tests with narrower nose? Or the wide nose just what works for other teams?

The nose sets up the airflow for the whole car, it will be a key part of the entire design philosophy rather than an upgrade they could put on the car at any stage.

I think...

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher

RBR have said it's a design choice for them, but for other teams it'll be a technical issue. The stupidly small contact points the Mercs are able to run on their front wings and still pass the tests is almost certainly beyond most teams on the grid.

PS, has anyone seen the overhead shot of the FW41? The suspension arms look utterly mental, there's a lot going on.