The Honey Badger

That McLaren is being flattered by the abilities of the drivers in the car. Especially this year and especially with Lando. I think perhaps poor old DR is fed up trying to fix other people's crap cars. Look at the start of the season, the thing didn't even have a set of brakes that worked.

Trouble with McLaren is that they will think it's the driver when it's the car and unless they can provide a set of wheels that any reasonable driver has a good chance of placing in a race....they will chew up and spit out drivers... DR to start and for Lando it's only a matter of time.

I really feel for DR, I don't see how taking a well experienced and well liked driver and chucking in an inexperienced newbie is going to benefit them. Just cos Lando is able to extract something from the car does not mean that they should not address it's weaknesses. They should be listening to the drivers... making the car easier to drive/place... they are not or won't as Lando is able to extract something ... but that will decline as the other teams surpass them and in time, given Lando is on a long term contract, MacLaren will be spitting him out as well... and the press with be asking why Lando has not lived up to expectations.
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post

(25-08-2022, 08:54 AM)morini Wrote:  
(24-08-2022, 05:15 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Yeah its not that long ago we all had Danny in our top group of drivers, now he's being schooled by young Lando.

1) Not for me, I like DR and think he is a very, very good driver. However he's not in the top tier of drivers who can pull out that "extra little bit" from nowhere. I'd put him at the top the second tier.

(24-08-2022, 08:01 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Maybe Lando is just a bit special, I would *love* to see Lando & George at Mercedes when Lewis retires.

2) Lando has been the most impressive driver over the last season and a half and I'll always be willing him on to do well. But playing devils advocate, lets not forget, he was well beaten by George Russell in F2.

1) Ok I should have said "many" of us. Wink

You have been proven right though, but how many of us expected Lando to wipe the floor with Danny, I certainly didn't.

Remember Danny's "I will end him" comment when he signed for McLaren, talk about motivate Lando, well that worked out well for him...

2) Yeah he did beat Lando in equal ish cars, we've all seen how good George is against known quality this year, you have posted that he still lack's Lewis's race pace rightly imo, once Lewis stopped experimenting so much its become obvious, If we have noticed it George would have as well, I'm sure it will only motivate him to learn more from how Lewis goes about his racing, think we have all said it at some point Neil being the latest, we are very lucky to have two such talented drivers at the same time.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(25-08-2022, 11:29 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  we are very lucky to have two such talented drivers at the same time.

Amen to that. For us who support Brit teams and drivers anyhoos.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Daniel Ricciardo scoffs at IndyCar move: ‘F*** that, ovals scare me’

Daniel Ricciardo remains committed to Formula 1, if only because it means he can avoid the ovals of IndyCar.

“Ovals scare me,” he said, as reported by Autosport.com.

“My Formula 1 career-slash-ambition is not over, so that’s really like first and foremost. I don’t want to deviate, I would say primarily for that reason. But also ovals, nah.

“Ten years ago, I would have said yes. I’m OK to admit that I’m not OK with ovals.”

“They look fun,” he said of a street and circuit only programme. “But I think because I’m just not out of F1, I haven’t really entertained it.

“The romanticising part of it, like America and all that, would be fun. But yeah. It’s more of a fantasy.”

There are strong rumours that Ricciardo may be a face in the F1 paddock next year but in a reserve role with Mercedes.

Ricciardo has maintained though that no contract has been signed as of yet.

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Daniel Ricciardo is to rejoin Red Bull as its reserve driver for the 2023 F1 season.

Although Ricciardo has yet to sign a contract, motorsport advisor Dr Helmut Marko has confirmed Ricciardo will return to Red Bull as a back-up option should either Max Verstappen or Sergio Perez be unable to race.

"Ricciardo will be our third driver," Marko told Sky Germany after first practice for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"We have so many sponsors, we have to do show runs and the like, so of course, he's one of the most high-profile and best-suited."

Wonder if Checo's looking over his shoulder.

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Multiple sources are now reporting that Daniel Ricciardo will replace Nyck de Vries at AlphaTauri with immediate effect.......nothing official

Now official

(Official line is Danny is on loan to AT for the remainder of this season)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...r9rXp.html

Now official!
[+] 4 users Like Twiggy's post

"Daniel Ricciardo's lap times in today's Pirelli test were impressive, his best lap would've been good enough for the front row of the Grid in Sunday's British Grand Prix"

(No mention of comparative weather conditions though)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

I don't know about you guys but I'm really not sure bringing Danny back to Alpha Tauri is such a good plan. I reckon that car is shyte and I doubt it will shine in Danny Ric's hands any better than it has with either of Tsunoda or Devries.

I read one article that suggested that this year's Red Bull is next years Alpha Tauri which if true... might be ok for Danny in the first half of next year should the field fail to catch and pass RBR's 2023 car.

If that's bollox then I can't see how he's gonna enjoy his comeback.
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post

I agree 100% Westie.......but the flip side is Danny is getting back in an f1 car and receiving quite the bump in wages for his trouble.......plus, driving the car every weekend (even if it is the AT) ...has to be better than hanging around the sim and polishing Helmuts ballbag (or whatever he has been doing with his time)  Tongue

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post