The Honey Badger

(05-08-2022, 12:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  McLaren is believed to have signed Piastri initially on a reserve driver deal for 2023, one that it intends to upgrade to a race seat

I've not read the motorsport.com piece on this yet, but that sounds highly dodgy to me. If you were Piastri why would you refuse a race seat with Alpine for a reserve driver seat with McLaren? What if DR ends up staying for 2023, poor old Oscar gets another year on the sidelines.

McLaren must be pretty confident they can buy Dan out I guess?

I've now read said article -> https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar...3/10349014

Reads like unsubstantiated speculation to me. Author references no sources whatsoever. 

Also, why the f*ck do these websites not employ proof-readers before publishing? They'd never get away with missing words and poor grammar in the written media.
[+] 6 users Like black's post

(05-08-2022, 12:31 PM)black Wrote:  
(05-08-2022, 12:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  McLaren is believed to have signed Piastri initially on a reserve driver deal for 2023, one that it intends to upgrade to a race seat

I've not read the motorsport.com piece on this yet, but that sounds highly dodgy to me. If you were Piastri why would you refuse a race seat with Alpine for a reserve driver seat with McLaren? What if DR ends up staying for 2023, poor old Oscar gets another year on the sidelines.

McLaren must be pretty confident they can buy Dan out I guess?

Also, why the f*ck do these websites not employ proof-readers before publishing? They'd never get away with missing words and poor grammar in the written media.

McLaren set to end Ricciardo’s 2023 F1 deal to make way for Piastri (autosport.com)

It's now on Autosport as well.

"Ricciardo and the team will now have to agree a settlement involving a substantial pay-off in order for him to walk away at the end of this season"

If true after the spanking Lando has given Danny I can't see him staying in F1, America maybe? 

Grammar is not one of my strengths but it seems better here.    Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(05-08-2022, 12:31 PM)black Wrote:  Also, why the f*ck do these websites not employ proof-readers before publishing? They'd never get away with missing words and poor grammar in the written media.

The internet has brought a lot of convenience and instant gratification to our world. Unfortunately we have forgone quality control in exchange for speed. It was different (and much, much better) in the age of the printed word.

Sad but true.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 4 users Like The Professor's post

McLaren has confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will not race for the team in 2023 after the Australian's contract was terminated by mutual consent.

“It’s been a privilege to be a part of the McLaren Racing family for the last two seasons but following several months of discussions with [McLaren Racing CEO ] Zak [Brown] and [team principal] Andreas [Seidl, we have decided to terminate my contract with the team early and agree to mutually part ways at the end of this season," said Ricciardo.

"I’ll be announcing my own future plans in due course but regardless of what this next chapter brings, I have no regrets and am proud of the effort and work I gave McLaren, especially the win in Monza, last season.

"I’ve enjoyed working with everyone at McLaren both trackside and back in Woking and will be giving my all on and off track as we enjoy the remainder of the season together. I’ve never been more motivated to compete and be a part of a sport that I love so much and look forward to what comes next.”

Ricciardo's future had been a source of speculation for several months with this intensifying after it was reported that Alpine reserve driver Oscar Piastri had signed a pre-contract agreement to race alongside Lando Norris at McLaren next year.

[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(24-08-2022, 03:32 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  McLaren has confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will not race for the team in 2023 after the Australian's contract was terminated by mutual consent.

Amazing how a decent drivers career can go down the pan so quickly. If the rumours are true he'll get a ginormous golden handshake, but it is still going to hurt.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(24-08-2022, 04:16 PM)morini Wrote:  
(24-08-2022, 03:32 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  McLaren has confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo will not race for the team in 2023 after the Australian's contract was terminated by mutual consent.

Amazing how a decent drivers career can go down the pan so quickly. If the rumours are true he'll get a ginormous golden handshake, but it is still going to hurt.

Yeah its not that long ago we all had Danny in our top group of drivers, now he's being schooled by young Lando.

It says online that McLaren offered him an Indy car drive but he wants to stay in F1, there's a write up about his possible options on Autosport.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

This makes me sad for many reasons, he was a potential WDC at Red Bull but they favoured Verstappen which you can argue was the right thing to do. He maxed out his efforts at Renault, he was Sebs equal at Red Bull and you can argue was right there with Verstappen. Why has it not worked at McLaren I don't know but you don't become a bad driver when you have the talent he has. I suspect he may be going back to Alpine.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0KsmutFWJs (2m 13s)

Ricciardo's heartfelt message announcing he'll leave McLaren at the end of 2022.

(24-08-2022, 07:32 PM)NeilP Wrote:  This makes me sad for many reasons, he was a potential WDC at Red Bull but they favoured Verstappen which you can argue was the right thing to do. He maxed out his efforts at Renault, he was Sebs equal at Red Bull and you can argue was right there with Verstappen.

Why has it not worked at McLaren I don't know but you don't become a bad driver when you have the talent he has. I suspect he may be going back to Alpine.

Agree mate.

Maybe Lando is just a bit special, I would *love* to see Lando & George at Mercedes when Lewis retires.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

In an ironic turn of events it may be that Lando Norris never gets to drive in a top car just as Danny Ricc never has. Red Bull were good but not really whole season challengers when he was there just better on a few circuits.

I am with you on his ability he would not be out of place in a top car. This may be a bit left field but I have gut feeling he may well end up with Forza's lot at Ferrari before too many more seasons. We are blessed with two young British bulls right now and it has not been like this for a very long time so our interest in the sport will be maintained for a long time. If I am brutally honest one of my main draws to the sport is its British involvement. Do not under any circumstances tell Forza I said this but I kind of envy that he is a team guy not a driver guy... shhhh keep it quiet.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(24-08-2022, 05:15 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Yeah its not that long ago we all had Danny in our top group of drivers, now he's being schooled by young Lando.

Not for me, I like DR and think he is a very, very good driver. However he's not in the top tier of drivers who can pull out that "extra little bit" from nowhere. I'd put him at the top the second tier.

(24-08-2022, 08:01 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Maybe Lando is just a bit special, I would *love* to see Lando & George at Mercedes when Lewis retires.

Lando has been the most impressive driver over the last season and a half and I'll always be willing him on to do well. But playing devils advocate, lets not forget, he was well beaten by George Russell in F2.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post