The Honey Badger

(20-03-2019, 10:13 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
(20-03-2019, 09:55 AM)morini Wrote:  Cyril, WTF are you thinking saying this publicly?

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/33108/ren...-him-.html

Behind closed doors, muppet. Sometimes I wonder about these team principals / team owners.

I literally came on here to say the exact same thing Morini. Ricciardo had a choice at the start of the GP... 

A) Accept collision from Perez and definitely lose a front wing and possibly end his race in a crash...

or

B) Take avoiding action and possibly come out unscathed and live to fight another day

It did't turn out like that. Danny made one of his usual lightening starts, and Perez did his usual trick of closing the door far too late and leaving his opponent nowhere to go. Ricciardo was between a rock and a hard place. He lost a front wing, but also half of his diffuser and then his PU apparently developed a bug and so they retired the car. What the hell was Cyril thinking? Perhaps he's just realizing now that the issue with Renault hasn't been the drivers, it is the car, and Red Bull were right, the engines suck. Clearly fourth best engines on the grid for power and reliability.

How about a choice C) Don't place your car where there is no room? Like, hit the brakes before moving in.

I like Ricciardo (as far as you can judge a personality on tv) and think highly of him as a driver. But last Sunday he just made a mistake, like every driver sometimes does. No big deal if it doesn't happen every race weekend. Maybe the team and car is not all that, maybe Ricciardo would have another problem during the race that was out of his influence, but going on the grass straight away and hitting that bump, that was only the driver.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(20-03-2019, 05:57 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  rlLike, hit the brakes before moving in.

I like Ricciardo (as far as you can judge a personality on tv) and think highly of him as a driver. But last Sunday he just made a mistake, like every driver sometimes does. No big deal if it doesn't happen every race weekend. Maybe the team and car is not all that, maybe Ricciardo would have another problem during the race that was out of his influence, but going on the grass straight away and hitting that bump, that was only the driver.

My comment was not really related to how Ricciardo handled that situation, it was about how Cyril aired the dirty laundry after the event. He might think slating your newly signed driver in public is a good motivator but in my opinion he should have said those words privately.

For what it is worth I agree with you that Dan could have avoided the incident.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(21-03-2019, 07:48 AM)morini Wrote:  
(20-03-2019, 05:57 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  rlLike, hit the brakes before moving in.

My comment was not really related to how Ricciardo handled that situation, it was about how Cyril aired the dirty laundry after the event. He might think slating your newly signed driver in public is a good motivator but in my opinion he should have said those words privately.

For what it is worth I agree with you that Dan could have avoided the incident.

I agree with you as well on how Cyril handled this. Never liked that guy (and my opinion about him is very important...).
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

Did Ricciardo see the writing with Renault’s $2.2b cuts?

Daniel Ricciardo may have jumped off the Renault ship before it sunk with the carmaker set to unveil a plan to cut costs by $2.2 billion.

With the world in the midst of an unprecedented financial crisis, even big manufacturers such as Renault are feeling the pinch.

A pinch that the company, and the French government which owes a 15% stake in Renault, need to lessen.

Reuters is reporting that ‘at the end of May, Renault plans to outline 2 billion euros ($2.2 billion) of spending cuts over the next three years after booking its first loss in a decade last year.’

The company’s factories are under threat with Renault considering closing three of its French sites: Choisy-le-roi, Dieppe and the Fonderies de Bretagne.

Renault’s Formula 1 project could also be on the line.

Earlier this year F1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul sought to quash rumours that Renault won’t be around the long haul.

He told Motorsport.com: “To look at F1 from a financial perspective it’s a cost, but it’s also an asset. And it’s an investment.

“Any way you look, it is pointing in the right direction. Audience exposure or market share [is going up]. But also costs, with a prize fund that will be better, a budget cap that will be better, and engine regulations that stay stable.

“Anywhere you look the figures are healthy and going in the right direction. So I’ve every reason to believe that, in principle, we are in it for the long-term.”

That, though, was before the financial crisis hit.

Ricciardo, though, may have seen the writing on the wall.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Danny has tested positive for covid.     Cry

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Poor ol Danny, I was hoping he just had a touch of the two bob bits.

DR: Better this week than next…
Unfortunate to miss the test, but I’m starting to feel better. I’ll stay isolated and just focus on next weekend.
Big thanks to Lando & McLaren for the heavy lifting, I owe you some beers (milk for Lando).
Appreciate the well wishes from everyone.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

I really want Danny to succeed he has been great for F1. A really good driver, great sense of humor and comes over as a pretty humble and nice guy. I hope he can turn it around.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(16-07-2022, 04:04 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I really want Danny to succeed he has been great for F1. A really good driver, great sense of humor and comes over as a pretty humble and nice guy.  I hope he can turn it around.

Like all the F1 drivers out there he is very talented. No doubt capable of winning races in a decent car, but to be honest they all are. The "difference" between the very best and the also rans is quite small, but it is significant. Dan is a great driver but I'm not convinced he was ever in the bracket who can extract that extra 2/10ths when it really, really matters. F1 is so competitive, the stars need to align and the best of the best always end up in the best cars (always will). Lando is making him look silly at the moment but no doubt a lot of that is momentum and confidence related.

I like the bloke, but he is turning in to Mark Webber v2 and I think his time is gone.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

McLaren set to end Ricciardo’s 2023 F1 deal to make way for Piastri.

The McLaren Formula 1 team has officially told Daniel Ricciardo that it intends to replace him with Oscar Piastri next year, Motorsport.com understands.

McLaren is believed to have signed Piastri initially on a reserve driver deal for 2023, one that it intends to upgrade to a race seat, assuming that a plan for Ricciardo’s early exit is eventually agreed.

Ricciardo has a firm McLaren contract for next season as part of the original three-year deal that he signed in early 2020, while still at Renault.

Ricciardo and the team will now have to agree a settlement involving a substantial pay-off in order for him to walk away at the end of this season.

He is understood to have no interest in moving sideways into the team’s Formula E programme, and is determined to find another seat in F1.

The Woking team is confident that it can hang on to Piastri despite Alpine’s claim that it has a valid contract with the youngster for 2023.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post