The Honey Badger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47210981

Daniel Ricciardo: Renault move from Red Bull 'feels right', says Australian.

There is a paragraph of Daniel explaining his view on Baku, I thought/said at the time I thought it was Max's who should take the majority of the blame, seems Daniel thought the same.

Baku crash part of why he left.

As for the motivation for leaving Red Bull, many have presumed it was because team-mate Max Verstappen finally established clear superiority in their private battle last year.
Ricciardo says there were myriad reasons, and admits one was to do with Verstappen - if not necessarily what many might think.

He says he was not impressed with the way the team dealt with the crash at last year's Azerbaijan Grand Prix that took out both drivers after an intense and often wheel-banging battle for two-thirds of the race.

Ricciardo rammed Verstappen from behind - but only after the Dutchman had done a double defensive move that is strictly forbidden in the rules.

"I didn't want to hold a grudge on that," Ricciardo says. "I couldn't tell you how many pieces made up the kaleidoscope but I guess that was one of the little pieces.

"We both got a talking to, putting it politely. I felt like I was not really in the wrong, even if I'm the one that hit him. I think most people saw the double move.

"Before that there was a lot of contact, and a lot of people thought it went on too long. I guess the way it was handled at the time didn't sit too well with me.

"Handling the media, I get. It's a big brand to look after. I get it doesn't help if we both go off at each other. But I felt there was a bit of equal blame (from the team). And maybe it's just me being a stubborn race car driver but I didn't think it was an equal incident, is the easiest way to put it.

"So that was a little thing, I guess, which bothered me. But it wasn't the deal-breaker."

Really looking forward to the Honey Badger v the Hulk.       Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Not sure if Daniel has made the right move tbh - that RB looks good - it will all be down to whether the Honda engine is reliable I think.
I can see why he did it tho: Verstappen is very much Markko's blue eyed boy, even down to Markko saying that Verstappen was so much quicker than Daniel in the second half of the year. Well, its hard to be quicker than your team mate when your car is parked at the side of the track.
[+] 4 users Like DRicc's post

(26-02-2019, 06:54 PM)DRicc Wrote:  Not sure if Daniel has made the right move tbh - that RB looks good - it will all be down to whether the Honda engine is reliable I think.
I can see why he did it tho: Verstappen is very much Markko's blue eyed boy, even down to Markko saying that Verstappen was so much quicker than Daniel in the second half of the year. Well, its hard to be quicker than your team mate when your car is parked at the side of the track.

Hi D, nice to see you back.  Big Grin 

Think we are all really looking forward to seeing the Honey badger v the Hulk, not long to wait!

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

All part of the grand plan, 2021. Next two years are for bedding in, and getting input into car characteristics. Be interesting to learn whether RIC and HUL driving style compliment or contrast each other. Obviously from an engineering point of view compliment would be better, should they contrast, it's going to be a fight for driver status. Perhaps RIC already has preference from his contract...

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(26-02-2019, 08:29 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  All part of the grand plan, 2021. Next two years are for bedding in, and getting input into car characteristics. Be interesting to learn whether RIC and HUL driving style compliment or contrast each other. Obviously from an engineering point of view compliment would be better, should they contrast, it's going to be a fight for driver status. Perhaps RIC already has preference from his contract...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141723...ts-renault

Hi Hesh, found this bud.   Smile

Ricciardo: Having same F1 feedback as Hulkenberg a boost for Renault.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(26-02-2019, 09:31 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141723...ts-renault

Hi Hesh, found this bud.   Smile

Ricciardo: Having same F1 feedback as Hulkenberg a boost for Renault.

Nice dude. That's a win for the design team.

[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Daniel Ricciardo says his attempts to negotiate a new Formula 1 deal with Red Bull Racing for 2019 left him feeling that "perhaps the love just wasn't there".

He said negotiations with Red Bull Racing mid-way through last year left him with a sense that Verstappen was the clear favourite, thanks to having already inked a long-term deal.

That, combined with the fall-out from their Azerbaijan Grand Prix clash, contributed significantly to his decision to sign with Renault.

"There was nothing physical - it's not like Max had, say, a better or newer front wing than me," Ricciardo told The Age.

"But he committed to the team for so long so early and signed such a big deal, and there was a feeling for me that the team was thinking, 'he's put more faith in us than you have, and you're taking so long to negotiate'.

"Perhaps Red Bull thought 'you're not going to go anywhere else', but I think that's the wrong mentality.

"I felt like I had to work too hard to justify what I wanted, and what the performances I've had say I should be worth.

"Perhaps the love just wasn't there."

Ricciardo also expanded on the role that the crash with Verstappen in Baku had on his decision, calling it a "shitshow" and admitting it was tough to move on from.

"I struggled to let that go, the whole race and the aftermath," he said.
"That played a part in my decision. I never really felt the same after that. As soon as I crashed into him, part of me felt, 'you guys deserved this, that was a shitshow'.

"If the roles were reversed, if I'd been in front and moved twice in the braking area and he'd run up the back of me, would things have been handled the same way? It was a question I kept coming back to.

"The team treated us as both equally at fault in that situation, where I think deep down they knew that it was their mistake and Max's mistake.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Is the "shitshow" shown in the Netflix thing?

[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Cyril, WTF are you thinking saying this publicly?

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/33108/ren...-him-.html

Behind closed doors, muppet. Sometimes I wonder about these team principals / team owners.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(20-03-2019, 09:55 AM)morini Wrote:  Cyril, WTF are you thinking saying this publicly?

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/33108/ren...-him-.html

Behind closed doors, muppet. Sometimes I wonder about these team principals / team owners.

I literally came on here to say the exact same thing Morini. Ricciardo had a choice at the start of the GP... 

A) Accept collision from Perez and definitely lose a front wing and possibly end his race in a crash...

or

B) Take avoiding action and possibly come out unscathed and live to fight another day

It did't turn out like that. Danny made one of his usual lightening starts, and Perez did his usual trick of closing the door far too late and leaving his opponent nowhere to go. Ricciardo was between a rock and a hard place. He lost a front wing, but also half of his diffuser and then his PU apparently developed a bug and so they retired the car. What the hell was Cyril thinking? Perhaps he's just realizing now that the issue with Renault hasn't been the drivers, it is the car, and Red Bull were right, the engines suck. Clearly fourth best engines on the grid for power and reliability.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post