The Honey Badger

I agree Morini. I think Seb is in a precarious position right now at SF. His contract runs out in 2020, that's his last season. Ferrari have also intimated they won't start renegotiations on possible renewal until 2020. I think 2019 is a very big season for Vettel. He needs to deliver, the pressure will be immense and with Leclerc being there it's going to be one hell of a tough year for him. We'll soon see how he copes with it. My gut is he'll see out his contract at Ferrari and move on, or retire altogether. I think there might then be an almighty scramble for the second Ferrari seat, because remember Ferrari signed up Leclerc until 2022 with a further years option in their favour. SF have put their faith in Leclerc, they're being more cautious about Vettel.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

I share many peoples opinion on here and indeed other places that the possibility of Hamilton joining Ferrari is definitely on in 2021. However I think that has a lot to do now with how Leclerc performs. If as I suspect (and in truth hope) he does really well I dont think Ferrari would bring in a Hamilton as it would undermine Leclerc in my opinion. I would think Ferrari are really hoping to bring one their own guys through Alfa Romeo.

I am sad that it appears Ricciardo will not get another chance in a top car. I do think Renault will progress but in truth at least for the term of his contract which I believe is two years they will be at most best of the rest. Its possible of course that in 2021 with the all major specification changes it could throw up a Brawn Racing situation but I do not see anyone catching the top three teams they are too wealthy.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-b...o/4317699/

Red Bull Formula 1 boss Christian Horner believes that his team did everything it could to convince Renault-bound Daniel Ricciardo to stay for next season.

After weeks of discussions, Ricciardo was expected to sign a new contract with the Milton Keynes-based squad shortly after the Hungarian Grand Prix at the end of July.

But the Australian opted instead to join Renault and caught Horner and Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko by surprise when he informed them of his decision.

“We looked at it and I think we did everything that we possibly could to retain him,” Horner told Motorsport.com.

“He actually said this – he did the classic break-up [line] – it not you, it’s me! And I think he just genuinely wanted to take on a new challenge.

“I think he was also probably concerned about his value with the evolution of Max [Verstappen], and was probably uncertain about Honda at that time. Subsequently he’s seen what we were talking about start to come to fruition.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ricciardo-...y-to-beat/

Ricciardo: Hulkenberg won’t be easy to beat.

Daniel Ricciardo is well aware of the threat posed by team-mate Nico Hulkenberg as the pair prepare to do battle at Renault in 2019.

“I’ll certainly take a lot of the highs with me and take them with me as confidence moving to Renault,”

“And I’ll need that as well because of Nico.

“I think that everyone who knows F1 knows his calibre.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(18-01-2019, 12:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Ricciardo: Hulkenberg won’t be easy to beat.

Yep, the Hulk is underrated in my opinion. I seriously think his size has prevented him getting a proper shot in a contending team.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(18-01-2019, 01:22 PM)morini Wrote:  
(18-01-2019, 12:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Ricciardo: Hulkenberg won’t be easy to beat.

Yep, the Hulk is underrated in my opinion. I seriously think his size has prevented him getting a proper shot in a contending team.

Think this is one of the rare occasions that us Bantee's would all agree on mate.    Smile

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

I don't, I think Hulkenberg is an over rated piece of shy...

Ah OK, you got me. His size has hampered him not question. I think he's a very talented driver, just never been sure he'd have been top tier. Just my thoughts of course, but certainly he's been deserving of a drive much further up the grid.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(18-01-2019, 07:16 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I don't, I think Hulkenberg is an over rated piece of shy...

Ah OK, you got me. His size has hampered him not question. I think he's a very talented driver, just never been sure he'd have been top tier. Just my thoughts of course, but certainly he's been deserving of a drive much further up the grid.

We'll never really know now, given the new talent that has arrived and is waiting in the wings.

If you read between the lines of what Dan is saying, he's actually having a subtle dig. I would interpret it as Dan saying "the Hulk is better than Sebastian Vettel". That is how I intrepret it anyway Wink And I'd agree as well!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

No matter how you look at Hulkenberg, everybody must agree it is interesting to see him prove himself against Ricciardo. That is a good reference driver to measure Hulkenberg real potential.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141124...-ricciardo

Renault Formula 1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul insists it is not spending "stupid money" on Daniel Ricciardo, and that his acquisition represents good value, even if it is not yet ready to win.

Renault Formula 1 managing director Cyril Abiteboul insists it is not spending "stupid money" on Daniel Ricciardo, and that his acquisition represents good value, even if it is not yet ready to win.

Ricciardo has made the switch from Red Bull to Renault for 2019, after feeling that the time was right for him to make a career change.

And while some have questioned the Australian's decision on competitive grounds, his deal was sweetened by him taking a major pay hike over what he was expected to get if he had stayed at Red Bull.

"The question mark is about the value. Does it make sense to invest that type of money in a driver at the level of Daniel at this point of our journey, with the car that we have and the other expense that we must do? We believe so.

"There has been some discussion about that. Would we be better off investing in to the car or the drivers?

"I think we have reached a point where we can invest in both reasonably."

"It is obviously commensurate to the level of his skills and talent, and what he can bring to the team. But it is not a stupid amount of money".

More motivation for the Hulk... Wink

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post