The Honey Badger

Horner has apparently warned that Danny shouldn't take too much time deciding on his future, as they have other drivers ready to fill the spot.  Though does say he understands, that Danny (understandably) wants to wait to see how the 2018 car performs.

A couple of things, I find strange, they've now 2 unproven rookies at TR, so who does he mean, Sainz perhaps? can't imagine Renault would be too happy about that.  Which brings me to my second point, We all know RBR can build a car, what they need is a competitive PU, and if Renault does make a substantial step forward, it's of little relevance, since most believe that it will be a Honda engine for 2019.

Perhaps they should sit Danny down, and tell him whatever they told Max Idea

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

That last sentence; it still keeps me puzzled why Verstappen signed for such a long period. He could of choose any team he liked I believe.
Unless, he agreed a clause that if car cq. engine is not compatible for championship, he can walk. Horner nor Verstappen will ever tell you early of this clause.

For Ricciardo, I'm not so sure he has as many options as Verstappen. Not saying Verstappen is that much better, but Verstappen has a exponential grow curve ánd is very young. Great combo for teams. As a bonus, he already is a star.
Ricciardo on the other hand is very reliable, fast and also a star. But he reached his peak already (or there is not much grow left) and is moving into the autumn of his career (at least I think that). Yes, he might be able to catch a championship, but Verstappen has the potential for a team to catch multiple championships.
In short, Verstappen is long term investment and Ricciardo short term (in team perspective). With Vettel and Hamilton already there, a short term investment might not be worth it for the teams.

Option for Ricciardo; early retirement (out of F1) of Alonso and Renault engine becomes better, McLaren could be a team for him.
Vettel in Ferrari, Hamilton in Mercedes, Verstappen in Red Bull and Riccardo in McLaren. Would love a fight for championship like this.

(29-01-2018, 04:31 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  That last sentence; it still keeps me puzzled why Verstappen signed for such a long period. He could of choose any team he liked I believe.
Because F1 is gearing up to gift him the WDC : P

(29-01-2018, 04:31 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  That last sentence; it still keeps me puzzled why Verstappen signed for such a long period. He could of choose any team he liked I believe.
Unless, he agreed a clause that if car cq. engine is not compatible for championship, he can walk. Horner nor Verstappen will ever tell you early of this clause.

For Ricciardo, I'm not so sure he has as many options as Verstappen. Not saying Verstappen is that much better, but Verstappen has a exponential grow curve ánd is very young. Great combo for teams. As a bonus, he already is a star.
Ricciardo on the other hand is very reliable, fast and also a star. But he reached his peak already (or there is not much grow left) and is moving into the autumn of his career (at least I think that). Yes, he might be able to catch a championship, but Verstappen has the potential for a team to catch multiple championships.
In short, Verstappen is long term investment and Ricciardo short term (in team perspective). With Vettel and Hamilton already there, a short term investment might not be worth it for the teams.

Option for Ricciardo; early retirement (out of F1) of Alonso and Renault engine becomes better, McLaren could be a team for him.
Vettel in Ferrari, Hamilton in Mercedes, Verstappen in Red Bull and Riccardo in McLaren. Would love a fight for championship like this.

I think this is a bit harsh on Dan Ric to be honest Anti. I think he is a class act and has better / more mature race craft than Verstappen (at the moment). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Verstappen fan and I do believe he will be WDC sooner rather than later. I also love watching him drive. But, he is still a little bit green in my opinion and will get better as the seasons go by. Blistering fast, but not as good race craft as the likes of Danny Ric or Hamilton (yet).
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(29-01-2018, 08:57 PM)morini Wrote:  

I think this is a bit harsh on Dan Ric to be honest Anti. I think he is a class act and has better / more mature race craft than Verstappen (at the moment). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Verstappen fan and I do believe he will be WDC sooner rather than later. I also love watching him drive. But, he is still a little bit green in my opinion and will get better as the seasons go by. Blistering fast, but not as good race craft as the likes of Danny Ric or Hamilton (yet).

I think we agree. I like Ricciardo a lot. As a person my favourite driver on the grid even. As a driver I think he is up there with the best (therefor my wishful thinking of a fight between Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo - consider all four could win a championship with evenly matched cars).
All I'm saying is that from a team perspective, at this certain moment in time, Verstappen is a more interesting deal. You get a young driver wich is already very good, but could be extremely good. A new Schumacher era for a team in prospectus. 
With Ricciardo, you get a very good driver also, a bit more mature and reliable even. But, looking at statistics (not of Riccardo specificly, just how people and athletes develop), he will not become more than he is. Why, if you are Mercedes or Ferrari, invest in a driver that is more or less equal to a driver you already have? Vettel and Hamilton will leave before Ricciardo does, but not that much time between them.
Long term investment. You got Verstappen, Ocon, Saintz, etc. Not the honey badger I'm afraid.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Total fantasy, based on no evidence or rumours, but how about:

2019:
Mercedes - Hamilton & Ocon
Ferrari - Vettel & Ricciardo
Red Bull (Powered by a Merc derived Aston Martin PU) - Verstappen & Sainz
McLaren (Renault) - Vandoorne & Norris

Raikonnen & Alonso to host a reality TV show looking for the worlds fastest monk called 'The Bwoah Factor'

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 3 users Like Purple-banana's post

Drivers aren't like other athletes, they often don't peak until their mid 30's actually. So Danny Ric has a long ways to go. He has way better race craft than Max right now, sure Max will get a lot better, and maybe ultimately be better than anyone currently on the grid, but he has still got a lot of maturing to do. Danny might well have options at Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari and possibly McLaren depending on Alonso and Vandorne. I think Danny Ric is current the hottest prospect not tied down for 2019... after Hamilton.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(30-01-2018, 10:02 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  Ferrari - Vettel & Ricciardo

That didn't work out so well for Vettel last time Wink
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

No it did not Morini!!!

I think a Ferrari seat will very much depend on how good Leclerc is, and how quickly he can find his feet. If he is as good as I expect him to be, then he'll be in a Ferrari in 2019 and Danny Richard will need to look elsewhere for a drive. However, if things don't quite go according to plan for Leclerc Danny could find himself at Ferrari and Seb might not look so secure. Still think Danny will find himself at Mercedes, just had that feeling for a few seasons now.

(30-01-2018, 09:25 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  No it did not Morini!!!

I think a Ferrari seat will very much depend on how good Leclerc is, and how quickly he can find his feet. If he is as good as I expect him to be, then he'll be in a Ferrari in 2019 and Danny Richard will need to look elsewhere for a drive. However, if things don't quite go according to plan for Leclerc Danny could find himself at Ferrari and Seb might not look so secure. Still think Danny will find himself at Mercedes, just had that feeling for a few seasons now.

Ricciardo at Ferrari when Vettel still there? Small change. First, Ferrari prefers a clear number one and number two driver. Second, Vettel probably has such a good contract, that he has something to say about who will be his teammate (or who will not).
Mercedes seems more logic, though still think they like Hamilton doing his thing and have a solid Bottas beside him. This way, Mercedes secure the two championships without much problems (if car is still that much better than the rest and it probably will). No more Hamilton-Rosberg drama's. Mercedes will look for Ocon or Verstappen to replace Hamilton when he leaves in a couple of years.

Just my thoughts...